HI 2014 Congressional Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:21:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  HI 2014 Congressional Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22
Author Topic: HI 2014 Congressional Elections  (Read 48395 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: August 01, 2014, 02:33:24 PM »

From the Civil Beat Senate poll that Tender posted, they also had a HI-01 poll.

Takai leads Kim 30-23, up from trailing her 30-24 in May.

Spectacular news! Too bad Hawaii polls are usually junk.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #451 on: August 04, 2014, 09:04:31 AM »

Takai and Kim are tied at 28% in the Star-Advertiser poll.
International Brotherhood of Bernard
interstate73

« Reply #452 on: August 04, 2014, 09:15:04 AM »

Takai and Kim are tied at 28% in the Star-Advertiser poll.
Looks like Takai has the momentum, but still lolHIpolls
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #453 on: August 04, 2014, 11:18:13 AM »

I wish Stanley Chang was doing better. I don't see him winning this election, but he is very young and could run again. Really solid guy.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #454 on: August 04, 2014, 07:07:51 PM »

Hurricane Iselle is on path to strike Hawaii on Thursday going into Friday, albeit as a weakened tropical storm.  That could be a real wildcard that could cause lower turnout in hardest-hit areas or even some blackouts, making Saturday's election more difficult to administer.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #455 on: August 04, 2014, 07:37:05 PM »

Hurricane Iselle is on path to strike Hawaii on Thursday going into Friday, albeit as a weakened tropical storm.  That could be a real wildcard that could cause lower turnout in hardest-hit areas or even some blackouts, making Saturday's election more difficult to administer.

Nah, from what I heard it won't effect it. Hawaii News Now had an article about how the Hurricane will miss most of Hawaii's main islands, but they took it down.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #456 on: August 04, 2014, 07:43:07 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2014, 07:45:33 PM by cinyc »

Hurricane Iselle is on path to strike Hawaii on Thursday going into Friday, albeit as a weakened tropical storm.  That could be a real wildcard that could cause lower turnout in hardest-hit areas or even some blackouts, making Saturday's election more difficult to administer.

Nah, from what I heard it won't effect it. Hawaii News Now had an article about how the Hurricane will miss most of Hawaii's main islands, but they took it down.

The Big Island is smack in the middle of the National Hurricane Center's 5-day cone, albeit as a tropical storm, not a hurricane.  At a minimum, it still should bring a lot of rain to the islands.  Perhaps not damaging winds, though.

Hawaii News Now currently says Category 4 Hurricane Iselle maintains strength, path to Hawaii
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #457 on: August 04, 2014, 09:09:09 PM »

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/26186931/hawaii-poll-hanabusa-up-over-schatz-in-senate-showdown

Latest poll from Hawaii News Now/Star Advertiser Hawaii has Hanabusa up 50-42, but this article notes how Schatz has been ahead previously.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #458 on: August 04, 2014, 09:12:47 PM »

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/26186931/hawaii-poll-hanabusa-up-over-schatz-in-senate-showdown

Latest poll from Hawaii News Now/Star Advertiser Hawaii has Hanabusa up 50-42, but this article notes how Schatz has been ahead previously.

Although the Star Advertiser has been more accurate in polling than Civil Beat, I don't buy a almost 10 point reversal since last week or so.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #459 on: August 05, 2014, 06:07:33 PM »

There's now a Tropical Storm Watch in effect for the Big Island.  Hurricane Iselle is still on track to hit the Big Island on Thursday and possibly affect the other islands Thursday into Friday.  It is forecast to weaken into a tropical storm before hitting the Big Island.  The current track puts the center of landfall near Hilo.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #460 on: August 05, 2014, 10:58:22 PM »

http://westhawaiitoday.com/news/state-wire/coming-storm-likely-won-t-impact-hawaii-election
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #461 on: August 05, 2014, 11:36:42 PM »

In face of storms and a request to delay, primary election still on

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #462 on: August 05, 2014, 11:54:35 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2014, 11:57:02 PM by Vega »

I feel like people are making this a bigger deal than it should be. But I guess you have to be prepared.

It won't effect the election all that much, and it won't effect it enough to call it off.

All the links and info you've been posting about it makes me think you really want the election to be called off though. Tongue
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #463 on: August 06, 2014, 04:22:57 PM »

I feel like people are making this a bigger deal than it should be. But I guess you have to be prepared.

It won't effect the election all that much, and it won't effect it enough to call it off.

All the links and info you've been posting about it makes me think you really want the election to be called off though. Tongue

Taking a direct hit from a hurricane is a big deal.  Hurricanes are not to be messed with.   We'll have to see how much it will affect the election.  My guess is things will be pretty bad on the Big Island Thursday and Friday and some polling places there might be consolidated if the election isn't postponed there altogether. 

The Big Island is now under a hurricane warning and Maui County (which includes Maui, Lanai and Molokai) is under a tropical storm warning.  Oahu (Honolulu) is under a tropical storm watch.

I don't care if the election is postponed.  I am posting about the storm because it could lead to lower turnout and/or a delay in some places.  And Abercrombie's electoral fortune could hinge on how well the state government handles the storm.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #464 on: August 06, 2014, 08:13:23 PM »

Isnt HI mostly mail in? or is that just general elections.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #465 on: August 06, 2014, 08:32:49 PM »

Not mostly, no. But they do have a very robust Early/Absentee voting system for both the General and the primaries. A fair number of people do use it. I never did when I lived in Hawaii.

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #466 on: August 06, 2014, 09:16:02 PM »

Not mostly, no. But they do have a very robust Early/Absentee voting system for both the General and the primaries. A fair number of people do use it. I never did when I lived in Hawaii.

Almost 50% of the votes in the 2012 primaries were absentee/early.  As of July 29, 163,504 mail-in absentees were mailed out statewide. 

In-person early voting is open until tomorrow.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #467 on: August 06, 2014, 09:28:31 PM »

Almost 50% of the votes in the 2012 primaries were absentee/early.  As of July 29, 163,504 mail-in absentees were mailed out statewide. 

In-person early voting is open until tomorrow.

50% isn't most. It is quite a few, as I said, though. Understandable why people would want to in Hawaii.

Hawaii having it means that alot of people who might not vote do. Helps with the low voter turnout of the past years.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #468 on: August 06, 2014, 10:01:14 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2014, 10:05:13 PM by cinyc »

50% isn't most. It is quite a few, as I said, though. Understandable why people would want to in Hawaii.

Hawaii having it means that alot of people who might not vote do. Helps with the low voter turnout of the past years.

I bet you that this will be the primary year when more voters vote absentee/early than on election day.  The trend is clear.  According to Hawaii News Now, "Early walk-in and mail-in voting before primary elections has steadily increased statewide in recent years, going from 37 percent in 2006 to 39 percent in 2008 and jumping to 44 percent in 2010 and going up further to 49 percent before the last primary in 2012."  I think I also read that  the number of mail-in absentees are already outpacing 2012.

The Big Island is extending early voting hours today.  Maui is closing most county offices early tomorrow, but early voting will go on as scheduled.  I haven't heard anything about Hawaii County's plans yet.

Oahu is now under a Tropical Storm warning.  Kauai and Niihau have been put under a Tropical Storm watch.  After trending southward in most recent iterations, the expected path veered a bit north in the 11PM Eastern notice, putting the storm center almost in the center of the Big Island and putting Maui and Oahu on the edge of the CPHC's cone.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #469 on: August 07, 2014, 12:20:50 AM »

Oh crap, Hawaii has open primaries? I hope Saturday isn't a big victory for conservative "Democrats".
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #470 on: August 07, 2014, 12:29:12 AM »

Oh crap, Hawaii has open primaries? I hope Saturday isn't a big victory for conservative "Democrats".

Oddly enough, one of the recent Hawaii polls actually showed Schatz doing better among Republicans than Democrats/Independents. Of course, since Hawaii polls are pretty bad, taking any meaning out of crosstabs from them is even more bad.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #471 on: August 07, 2014, 12:29:13 PM »

Nah. They've had this system for a while. Possible Republicans voting hasn't effected elections in the past.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #472 on: August 07, 2014, 12:36:37 PM »

Nah. They've had this system for a while. Possible Republicans voting hasn't effected elections in the past.

Tradition is always susceptible to change.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #473 on: August 07, 2014, 12:39:06 PM »

If Hanabusa or Kim win, then we know they've been voting. Tongue

Tradition is always susceptible to change.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #474 on: August 07, 2014, 03:37:39 PM »

Curious…

Is Hanabusa's relatively high chance (at least for a challenger to an incumbent) of winning the seat more related to legacy, ethnicity, or ties to Abercrombie?

I know very little about Hawaiian politics, but I do know that Hawaii has a very large native Hawaiian and Asian population. Is Hanabusa's candidacy buoyed by these demographics? I also wonder if Schatz's ties with Abercrombie could haunt him on Election Day.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies