WaPo says Baucus is retiring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:30:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WaPo says Baucus is retiring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: WaPo says Baucus is retiring  (Read 3970 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 03:43:50 PM »

If Schweitzer runs then definitely no, if for some reason he opts out then yes.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 03:47:46 PM »

Thank God. Come on, Schweitzer!
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 04:22:26 PM »

Schweitzer will certainly be a more powerful voice in the Democratic caucus against gun control than Baucus ever was (though in the long run, this is an issue that mainstream Democrats will soon be avoiding giving answers on, like Republicans are with gay rights). Whoever said Schweitzer will be further left than Baucus is...very mistaken. Electorally, this seat seems pretty clear-cut: easy Democratic hold with Schweitzer, Republican gain without him. Either way, I think, the seat will move right.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2013, 04:27:24 PM »

Schweitzer will certainly be a more powerful voice in the Democratic caucus against gun control than Baucus ever was (though in the long run, this is an issue that mainstream Democrats will soon be avoiding giving answers on, like Republicans are with gay rights).

Howard Dean, who has an A rating from the NRA himself, said last week that Schweizter would have likely supported Manchin-Toomey.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013, 04:34:22 PM »

Schweitzer will certainly be a more powerful voice in the Democratic caucus against gun control than Baucus ever was (though in the long run, this is an issue that mainstream Democrats will soon be avoiding giving answers on, like Republicans are with gay rights).

Howard Dean, who has an A rating from the NRA himself, said last week that Schweizter would have likely supported Manchin-Toomey.

Running for office in Montana, but depending for money on national Democrats, I doubt Schweitzer will be taking a position on it. If something like it were to come up I agree he would vote for it, but I think, however slightly, replacing Baucus with Schweitzer shifts the rhetoric on gun rights right just a teeny bit. (Which, of course, is the long term trend as well).
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2013, 04:55:40 PM »

Awesome news. I'm a big Schweitzer fan, and it will be great to see him in the Senate.

A senate with Markey and Schweitzer in it is far better than a senate with Kerry and Baucus, so I guess that is a good thing.

Part of me doesn't want Schweitzer to run if only because it may harm his odds of running 2016,which I really want him to do (he is one of my favorite pols).

That being said, great to see the netroots out backing him already (PCCC and D Kos) instead of whining about gun control or something and dragging there feet about supporting an actual progressive politician.

Schweitzer is awesome, and would be a great messenger of the progressive cause for rural and white voters, he already won over a red state with red meat populism.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2013, 06:18:04 PM »

Part of me doesn't want Schweitzer to run if only because it may harm his odds of running 2016,which I really want him to do (he is one of my favorite pols).

May?  If he runs for Senate, it's a clear sign that he's not running for president in 2016.  He's not going to start running for president a month after being sworn in as Senator.

Being elected to the Senate would certainly put him on Hillary Clinton's running mate shortlist though.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2013, 06:42:01 PM »

Awesome news. I'm a big Schweitzer fan, and it will be great to see him in the Senate.

A senate with Markey and Schweitzer in it is far better than a senate with Kerry and Baucus, so I guess that is a good thing.

That being said, great to see the netroots out backing him already (PCCC and D Kos) instead of whining about gun control or something and dragging there feet about supporting an actual progressive politician.

Schweitzer is awesome, and would be a great messenger of the progressive cause for rural and white voters, he already won over a red state with red meat populism.

He is only 57.  He could run in any of the 2020's elections.  He would still be younger than Reagan and Hillary if he runs in 2024.  He would be the same age as McCain in 2028.  Age is probably a bigger issue for D's, but hardly insurmountable for him.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2013, 06:45:08 PM »

Baucus has been feuding with fellow Dems for a while now.

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=7B677A40-F18F-4341-AC72-237519B76664
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2013, 06:55:44 PM »

I think this is a perfect opportunity for Schweitzer.  He can grab this seat and do several things.  1) Obviously keep it out of the GOP column, 2) Increases national exposure for a possible POTUS bid in 2016 or 2020.

How old is Schweitzer, anyway?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2013, 06:58:06 PM »

I think this is a perfect opportunity for Schweitzer.  He can grab this seat and do several things.  1) Obviously keep it out of the GOP column, 2) Increases national exposure for a possible POTUS bid in 2016 or 2020.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2013, 07:09:29 PM »

It wouldn't be for a POTUS bid in 2016.  It'd be for a VPOTUS bid in the same year.  (Or if that doesn't work, POTUS in 2020.)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2013, 07:21:38 PM »

Really?  I thought he was in his 60's, but this is even better.  He will be 65 by January 20, 2021, which means he would only be 73 by January 20, 2029.  Great timing for Gov. Schweitzer.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2013, 10:27:20 PM »

Brian Schweitzer just posted this article on his Facebook page with this choice quote:

"The two-term governor left office in January and would be the immediate front-runner for the Democratic nomination if he jumped into the Senate race."

All indications point towards him running.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2013, 11:13:55 PM »

Good riddance
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2013, 01:26:05 AM »

Brian Schweitzer just posted this article on his Facebook page with this choice quote:

"The two-term governor left office in January and would be the immediate front-runner for the Democratic nomination if he jumped into the Senate race."

Schweitzer also keeps posting articles about this on his FB page. Not exactly subtle.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2013, 01:28:09 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is the committee also responsible for insisting on 50 state exchanges instead of a single federal one right?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2013, 01:30:54 AM »
« Edited: April 24, 2013, 01:34:42 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

This is the committee also responsible for insisting on 50 state exchanges instead of a single federal one right?

Baucus certainly put a lot of effort in to kill the public option. There were Senators who were from areas very unfriendly to Obama that were pushing hard for the public option, like Rockefeller, and yet Baucus made sure it didn't happen.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/60739-public-option-fails-in-senate-committee

Here are the Democrats who voted no there

Baucus - good riddance
Carper - has a freaking primary me sign on him
Conrad - good riddance
Lincoln - good riddance
Bill Nelson - needs a good primary, too
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2013, 01:43:51 AM »

^^ Yeah, can't forget Lieberman either: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PPACA#Senate

The Senate and the filibuster is pathetic. So is the $$$-backed "centrism" on these issues.

And now think that the Senate is the more left-wing chamber compared to the House...

What a plutocracy. 2010 and 2014 being so rough is Democrats' own doing.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2013, 01:53:14 AM »

Baucus - Not even a Democrat, not even a Republican. The best example of a K Street Senator.
Lincoln - Didn't really seem awful either
Conrad - Didn't seem awful
Carper - He can go too
Bill Nelson - It's not like Florida has anyone better on the bench

But I'm glad Fredo Lieberman is out most of all. As far as foreign policy's concerned he's a Republican, and his vote against the public option was a disgrace to America.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2013, 03:07:38 AM »

That isn't necessarily determinative.  Schweitzer said back in February that his staff posts stuff on his FB page, not him, and that they tend to post stories promoting him, or that suggest he might run for Senate or President or whatever, but it doesn't necessarily mean that he's going to get into the race:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=164982.msg3634362#msg3634362

That said, the other leaks sure make it sound like he's considering it.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2013, 03:35:59 AM »

The fact that he's out of office and has "staff" managing stuff like that, though...
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2013, 03:37:31 AM »

The fact that he's out of office and has "staff" managing stuff like that, though...

Up until yesterday, it was assumed that that's because he was running for president.  Tongue
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2013, 04:00:21 PM »

With it looking increasingly likely that Hillary will run again, I think it might be better for Schweitzer just to forfeit a '16 run and focus on getting a seat in the Senate instead.

He's still young enough to run as far off as 2020 or 2024, and could still be a VP contender in 2016. 
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2013, 11:59:49 AM »

Schweitzer seems to be sporting a beard now.

One more reason to support him. Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies