The Man of Steel: Watson Timeline Part II
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:10:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  The Man of Steel: Watson Timeline Part II
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Man of Steel: Watson Timeline Part II  (Read 9541 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 24, 2013, 02:00:45 AM »

Campaign '88

"I told him I'd do it," Lawrence Watson, the bulky Pennsylvania Senator matter of factly put it. It was unusual for him to be so blunt. Laura Watson was used to him being politically coy or evasive, even with her. She found it quite refreshing that he was so honest about the brief telephone conversation he'd had with Jefferson Dent.

"So, what's this mean for our family, Lawrence?"

"It means that we're in for a national campaign and not a statewide one. More hours for me. Probably more hours apart for us."

"Do you really want the job? I don't like how much we're already separated. The boys hate it. They want you around and if you're not bloody well careful, you're going to miss their best years. Won't being Vice President take even more time from us?"

"Well, I might not win..."

Watson was playing his wife again and she knew it. For not one minute did she think her husband ever thought such things. In fact, even in 1980, he'd never entertained the possibility of defeat by Arlen Specter. At least not in front of her. Laura found his false humility outright disingenuous. She knew all too well that when it came to an election, he was hubristic and arrogant. Pennsylvania was always so easily won. He never took it for granted, but still, his behavior was always completely self-confidant.

"Bullsh**t, Lawrence," Laura snapped in her Australian accent. "I know when you're faking. I know you're already gonna do it, so just do it."

"Well, look on the bright side, if we win, Vice Presidents are hardly important," he teased. "I'd only be useful when Dent doesn't wanna go to a funeral."

"...And you're telling me you, of all people, would be happy with this sort of thing?"
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 01:02:53 AM »

Erie, Pennsylvania

"...Folks, I'd like to introduce you all to the man I want as my partner as I run for the White House! He's the man who has helped to bring thousands of jobs back here to Pennsylvania! He brought Erie, PA a brand new naval dockyard. He brought Pittsburgh a new industry in technology and services. He brought Philadelphia commercial shipping and with the help of Governor Ertel, worked to clean up crime and homelessness from the inner city streets. It is my pleasure to have him as my back up on the campaign trail! Pennsylvania's friend, the nation's friend: Senator Lawrence Watson!"

Jefferson Dent really knew how to pour it on. Dent, ever the seasoned political master had introduced someone whom he saw as a bit of a protege to be his no. 2. Dent knew Watson had the personality of the attack dog, the traditional VP role. His advisers had told him to keep the ambitious Pennsylvanian on a short leash, lest he go too far for his own power, but Dent knew better. Watson would be loyal he told them. He'll do what he's told. Dent was right as per usual.

"I wanna thank the next President of the United States for such a kind introduction! I believe, my fellow Pennsylvanians that we're going all the way and not one Reaganite is going to keep this country down any longer! Jefferson Dent is a great man and in my own humble opinion, a man who should be President. I've just had my birthday, ladies and gentlemen. I'm 37 years old... A bit long in the tooth as it were. My father was a railroad engineer who ran the last steam locomotives across the rails. My mother was the daughter of Cornish immigrants who had worked in the tin mines and came here to work in the steel mills. I have three brothers, all of whom have been successful in living the American dream. A dream that I want to give my children and my wife, who is also an immigrant.... Jefferson Dent is a man who understands the American dream and why it is now in peril. We must pursue a new way. Senator Dent is that new way. He's got the talent, the know-how and some guts behind it. Send him to the White House in November and we will find that new way for a better America! Thank you!"

After his introductory speech, Dent took him aside and they waved to the sea of supporters sporting all kinds of brand new Dent-Watson placards and buttons. The Republicans had fired a shot that Pennsylvania was in play with a Dole-Heinz ticket. The Democrats had responded with the best shot they had. The press found a week's worth of news stories in the battle of Pennsylvanian running mates who were popular and both from Pittsburgh. For a brief period, the running mates eclipsed their heads of the ticket to battle for the soul of a single state. However, slick Southerner Dent and stolid Midwestern Dole soon returned to be the lead stories of the campaign, a battle that Jeff Dent was sure he'd win.

Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 09:47:21 PM »

"Fellas, this is the last meeting we're gonna have for awhile, so let's get everything squared away right now..."

Senator Lawrence Watson headed the table of loyal Democratic politicians from Pennsylvania. Among them lieutenants like Congressman Mark Singel, Governor Allen Ertel, Congressman Bob Edgar, Pittsburgh City Council President Bob O'Connor, and St. Representative Allen Kukovich. Also included in the meeting were non-politicians such as Jimmy Lewis, his campaign manager and John DeFazio, a former professional wrestler who was now the director of the United Steelworkers in Pennsylvania. In Pennsylvania Democratic politics, there were two factions that battled to control the state. The social democratic\liberal Watson faction and the conservative Casey faction.

Watson controlled most of the state, although the Casey group had pockets of influence through the central and eastern half of the state. The meeting was held in order to get their ducks in a row and avoid any Casey politicking should Watson become Vice President.

"If I'm elected, Allen, I want you to think very hard on who you appoint to fill out my term. The Casey people are gonna fight hard for this, so I'm making sure now that they're not gonna get ahold of my seat and put Baker Knoll or Wagner or Casey himself in."

"The problem we're facing, Lawrence, is that the Casey people will have most of the available talent that deserves to go to the Senate," the bookish Governor Ertel was hedging already and Watson didn't like it. Leaning back in his chair a moment to think, he pounded the desk with his ham-like fists and shot forward with the idea.

"I want someone from the west, so Allen, you're out. Rendell is out. Jimmy! I want you to do it!"

"Wait! I'm not a good candidate," Lewis protested.

"You won't have to be. You'll finish out my term and then you'll come back to my staff. Once that's done, we'll be in a better position to decide who can run. We need to start grooming a future Senator now... Ok, so, Heinz is running for both offices and Bob's our candidate, so Edgar, I'm gonna flush some money in for you, don't worry."

Watson thought another minute and poured a glass of water. Now, my seat's going to be primaried by the Casey people when the time comes. Caliguiri is sick and he's not going to last longer.... Johnny, I want you to make sure the steelworkers give preference to O'Connor before Murphy gets any ideas."

"Well, I can try, but Tom Murphy's already polling well in Pittsburgh. Caliguiri is not going to live much longer, maybe not even out of the summer so I'll need to start now."

"Fine, do it," Watson finished. "When my seat comes up, I want O'Connor in position to win it..."

"I feel like I'm watching another Huey Long at work," Singel whispered to Lewis. "It's exciting and terrifying at the same time."
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 02:29:56 PM »

TIME

On the Trail with the Dent Campaign

As part of the regular series of this Presidential election, we at Time Magazine will bring you coverage from the access granted to our reporters on the campaign trail by the Dent and Dole Campaigns. This week, we take a look at life with the Democratic ticket before they head into sunny Miami for the convention....

Jefferson Dent, the longtime Alabama Senator, has certainly a new bounce in his step compared to his last campaign against Ronald Reagan. A bad economy and various offenses against popular programs as the Universal Care Program in health and the Pell-Watson Grants in education have left the Reagan Administration reeling. So much so that George Bush has decided not to even contest the upcoming election, leaving Bob Dole the presumptive nominee. Now, as ever, Jeff Dent is alternately cheerful and confidant. Having watched his campaign for weeks now, I've seen how much of a chess-master that Dent truly is. He is very much his own man and he relies on his handlers simply to smooth things over and "keep the trains running on time".

Dent is a micro-manager, which could either be an asset or a hinderence to his potential Presidency. He is quite the technocrat as well it would seem. His campaign use computers much more than previous candidates and its data allows him to tailor his message to his particular audience. One thing Dent does not possess is an easy-going nature. He can be temperamental and he has fired managers if they're not performing up to expectations. Mistakes are minimal with this sort of approach, but as a President, he may prove chaotic if he fires cabinet members with the same sort of abandon. He is still the savviest politician in the country though, that is for certain. No negative stories can stick to him and he already has checkmated his opponent's opening salvo with his choice of running mate.

Lawrence Watson, the ultra-popular Pennsylvania powerhouse, was entirely a Dent choice and goes to show just how far above his competition Dent is. Bob Dole selected popular moderate John Heinz to help with Pennsylvania and in the northeast. Dent trumped him by getting Watson. Dent and Watson work well together as a team, though there are some differences. Watson does not rely much on hard data to make up his mind as Dent does, he's an instinctive politician rather than a technocratic one. Dent sends Watson out with a small group of stump speakers to help keep Dent from over scheduling himself. With Watson are a few of his closest political friends: Scott Westman, fiery and passionate libertine, the witty elder Mo Udall, supple southerner Dale Bumpers and the gabby Joe Biden.

Jeff Dent has all the makings of the next President. His television commercials are at times biting and snappy. He has a much more detailed policy for government than Dole does at this time. He's a fast and nimble thinker while Dole is a bit more of a plodder. All these advantages could chalk up to a big Democratic win in November.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 09:09:03 PM »

He is quite the technocrat as well it would seem. His campaign use computers much more than previous candidates and its data allows him to tailor his message to his particular audience.

But he doesn't know how to use computers and even mobile phones Sad
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 09:16:19 PM »

He is quite the technocrat as well it would seem. His campaign use computers much more than previous candidates and its data allows him to tailor his message to his particular audience.

But he doesn't know how to use computers and even mobile phones Sad

Doesn't necessarily have to be a techno fellow himself, just stating that the Dent campaign uses them. Smiley
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 10:27:58 PM »

Christmas 1975

Lawrence Watson is sitting in a DC club with his buddies Scott Westman and Joe Biden. Westman and Watson both flirt with young girls. Biden does not, although he is laughing and talking as ever. Watson, younger, still more muscle than fat, leans in and kisses the girl's neck as he speaks to her.

Watson: I've got a nice place... Wanna get outta here and I can give you the grand tour?
Heidi: Stop! Larry!
Watson: Oh come on, Morgan. It's Christmas. Don't you wanna sit on Santa's lap?
Westman: Ha! Beard and everything! Ain't that right, Joe... Larry'd make a good Santa Claus, wouldn't he?
Biden: Nah. He's still a damn kid...
Westman: Too damn cold for me to fly back to Montana. I'm getting back to my apartment and I'm gonna open a few bottles of wine for my lady friend...
Watson: Just don't make me have to check on you in the morning. C'mon, Heidi, let's go....
Biden: Wait, it's Christmas Eve, let's all get a picture...

Later....

Lawrence and Heidi, both very drunk, make their way back to his apartment. It's spacious and sparsely decorated. Only a few portraits, a leather couch, a bedroom and a TV.

Heidi: This is it? I thought you said this place was nice...
Watson: Well, I'm never here. It's pretty damn nice for someone who drinks all night.
Heidi: How many women do you see here?
Watson: What would you think if I said dozens?
Heidi: I'd say you chose well tonight...

She drops her top.

Heidi: Merry Christmas, Lawrence...

Present Day, 1988

Older now, Lawrence sits on a bus putting photos in his personal album. Most of them are from the current campaign, but he leafs through the book, coming across the picture that was taken more than a decade ago. Joe Biden had taken it and Scott Westman, looking disheveled but happy, holding up a champagne bottle as he holds his date close. Lawrence sits with Heidi on his lap kissing him. Another young girl had happened to get in the picture and put her arms around him as well.

Laura: This was you and Scott?
Watson: (Breaking out of his stroll down memory lane) Yeah.
Laura: I don't think I've ever seen this one.
Watson: This was Christmas Eve '75, I think. I had only just got to Congress.
Laura: How many women were you with?
Watson: Oh, just Heidi. I don't know this girl behind me...
Laura: I know her and so do you. It's Emily Joffrey. She's younger there and her hair color's changed, but it's the same woman.
Watson: Really?
Laura: Did you ever sleep with her?
Watson: No, don't be stupid... Honest! I didn't even know her until '83!
Laura: You don't recognize a woman who's been on your staff for six goddamn years?! You son of a bitch!
Watson: No, stop! You knew what I was then. I told you and I was honest with you. But I am not sleeping with any other woman on the damn staff!
Laura: You've lied before.
Watson: About what?
Laura: You're a politician. You lie. You lied about quitting cigars because I can still smell the smoke on your jackets. How do I know you're not lying now?

Lawrence takes the picture out of the album and rips it up.

Watson: You just have to trust me. These are bad memories for me, anyway... What little I can remember...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 04:24:16 PM »

I protest of being exluded from drinking and hitting on the girls.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 04:25:53 PM »

I'm sure Jeff Dent was just at another bar lol Wink
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 12:26:32 AM »

Jeff Dent is sitting on his campaign bus having a mixed drink, probably something with bourbon, when Lawrence Watson comes and sits beside him. The two are headed for a joint campaign event.

Dent: How are you holding up?
Watson: Not bad, Jeff. The lack of sleep will probably get to me though. It's like having to answer a quorum call...
Dent: You don't know the half of it. Already done this sh**t once. This time we're gonna win though, you watch and see. If things go the way we plan, in 16 years, you'll be back home with Laura and your kids... (Sipping his drink) I can't knock them back like in my younger days, but I bet I could give any of those damn college snots a run for their money.
Watson: (Laughing) I bet you could... Do you ever sit back and think that if you're elected this time and next time as well... That'll be it for you? Jeff, can you imagine ever being retired?
Dent: Me? Hell no! I'm gonna live just long enough to hand the job off to you and then I'm gonna die in the Oval Office! I'd be pretty damn bored. What about you? You're the young one.
Watson: I don't think I'd ever want it to end. Laura just wants me to get out and spend time with her and the kids. She wants to go back to Australia in the worst way and I think whenever it all does stop that she'll want to rope me into going.
Dent: I suppose then you'll consider yourself worldly. Especially compared to some Alabama hillbilly like me.
Watson: No way, man. You're the one with the pedigree and the money. I'm just the son of an old railroader...
Dent: You know those reporters eat that crap up. One of the reasons I wanted you.
Watson: It wasn't just for Pennsylvania's 32 votes?
Dent: Well, that sure f**king helps and don't you forget it.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 02:11:47 PM »

"They told me I needed to start eating healthy," Lawrence Watson said to his longtime friend Scott Westman as he bit into a piece of plain toast that had been served with his egg. "Jeff's good, but these damn handlers are driving me f**king crazy."

"You're used to running the show," Scott laughed. "Better get used to being the subordinate. We both know your big ass has a hard time with that concept."

Westman lit up a cigarette and lazy puffs of smoke encircled him. The lanky redhead had joined his friend for breakfast at a campaign stop in Denver where Westman's western cred could draw a good crowd. Watson didn't like doing the smaller stops so far from where the people knew and liked him. People from out west knew him as Morris Udall's protege and little more except for his union connections. Dipping his toast in the egg yolk, he grinned and took a sip of orange juice which he'd always preferred over morning coffee anyway.

"In Pittsburgh, we call these 'dippy eggs'. They're made for this so you can dunk your toast in them. At least eating a little more healthy has Laura less worried."

"Where is your lovely girl anyway?" Westman asked. "I haven't seen her or your kids in it feels like years. If you weren't doing this damn campaign, I'd have come to see you guys in that quaint little neighborhood overlooking the city."

"Laura's back in Mt. Washington. She doesn't like to campaign at all."

"Why not? She's one of those exotic girls from Down Under. People would turn up just to hear the accent. Crocodile Dundee was huge at the box office, remember?"

"You know she's shy. She wants nothing more than to go someplace quiet where no one will bother her."
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 02:50:10 PM »

Jefferson Dent doesn't care if Larry's eating junk food. Blame overzealous personnel.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 04:53:55 PM »

Jefferson Dent doesn't care if Larry's eating junk food. Blame overzealous personnel.

That's exactly who he blames.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 05:40:21 PM »

Philip Samuel Bowden Watson
(June 3, 1832 - February 4, 1899)

Born in Devonport, Devon, England, Philip Watson was the son of James Samuel and Harriet Amelia Kendall Watson. James Watson was a soldier in the 44th Regiment of Foot when he, among many others was killed during the retreat from Kabul in 1842 during the Anglo-Afghan War. Watson, along with others in Elphinstone's army, were killed while trying to reach Jalalabad. About 50 soldiers, including James Watson, found themselves surrounded on a snowy hillock near the village of Gandamak. When the Afghans tried to convince them to surrender and they would be unharmed, Watson shouted back "Not bloody likely!" With only 20 working muskets and two shots per man, the British formed a square and prepared to receive the charging tribesmen. Fighting bravely with bayonets, eventually they were overrun with a Captain and 7 others being the only survivors. James Watson's body was eventually returned to England.

Without his father, Philip, his sister Fanny and their mother all moved in with Harriet's sister Hannah Addiscott. Philip was not favored among the Addiscott children or compared to younger sister Fanny, and soon found himself an outcast. Taking up an apprenticeship in Plymouth with a shipwright, Philip eventually found work as a junior shipwright at the Devonport Dockyard.

Marrying in 1860 to a woman named Elizabeth Splatt, Philip had found a settled existence with good paying work. Children came soon to the family. Eldest son Frederick was born in 1861, followed by still more sons: Alfred, Percy, Rodney and Owen. In 1873, Philip Watson had risen in esteem in the city and at the Dockyards far enough that he was made Master Shipwright of the Devonport Dockyard and was adopted as a parliamentary candidate by the Liberal Party. Elected to the House of Commons as one of the two candidates from Devonport in the 1874 General Election.

He did not speak a great deal during debates, but Watson was known as an advocate of the Royal Navy. Like most Liberals, he opposed the Anglo-Zulu War, which his son Frederick fought in. Watson was not an eloquent speaker and resembled American newspaper editor Horace Greeley in appearance. He was balding with a tuft of combed over hair, a large white beard and rumpled suits. Watson was a kindly man though. He encouraged his sons to be well versed in music and son Owen later became a music teacher and stage actor. Watson also traveled frequently, holding great interest in not only Continental Europe, but also Canada and the United States.

While in London on Parliamentary business, Watson contracted pneumonia in January 1899 and upon returning home his condition worsened. Surrounded by his family, Philip S. B. Watson died at his Morice Square home after 24 years as an MP aged 66. One son, Percy, emigrated to the United States in 1901. He would become the grandfather of U.S. Senator Lawrence Watson.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 10:32:57 PM »

The Five Brothers

Born between the 1860s and 70s, the five Watson brothers retained a complicated and at times bittersweet relationship among each other that changed their family trajectory and may have unwittingly changed the course of the United States as a whole.

All sons born in England's seafaring city of Plymouth, grew up together in the large home built at Morice Square where their father could easily walk to work at the Dockyard along with their mother's mother Elizabeth Symonds and a domestic maidservant.

The eldest was Frederick William Watson. Athletic, talented, bombastic. Frederick was a determined and boastful young man who, when he came of age, decided that like his late grandfather, he would go into the British army. Sent to Natal, Frederick was made a young cavalry officer thanks to his father's importance. Frederick was not present at the disaster at Isandlwana where the Zulu decimated the dual command of Colonels Henry Pulleine and Anthony Durnford. Frederick was part of Sir Redvers Buller's cavalry detachment and saw action at Hlobane, Kambula, and the War's final decisive battle, Ulundi. When Frederick returned from South Africa, he married a French born woman named Edith Le Vavasseur. The family did not approve of the match as Edith had been tempting Frederick to return with her to France where they would reside in glamorous Paris. Frederick left England for good in 1885 for France and was not present when his father died, much to his brother's anger. He was effectively written off by them during this time and they rarely spoke with him afterwards. Frederick lived in Paris with Edith until the First World War when the two emigrated to Quebec. There, Frederick died in 1946. After his military career had ended, he made his living as a lecturer and in Canada he took to farming.

Alfred Splatt was the second born son of Philip and Elizabeth. Alf was intelligent and lazy and eventually he grew to become an alcoholic. Alf was thin and did not take to athletic pursuits and in general he hated any sort of labor. His father resolved to keep a close watch on Alf by making him a bookkeeper for the Devonport Dockyard. However, Alf chafed under the lack of independence offered him and though close with brother Percy, he eventually left for Southampton where he married a woman named Beatrice Hutchings and produced the most children of all of the brothers. Alfred had seven children, three boys and four girls. Alf's drinking caught up with him and he spent money on booze faster than he earned it, forcing his sons to take up working menial jobs to support the household. Alf would wander the streets for hours, hoping to catch some excitement. He spent time with his father and reconciled with his family when Philip Watson died, but he was an undependable spendthrift for the rest of his days (even missing his mother's funeral thanks to drunkenly throwing away the letters letting him know). His wife predeceased him by more than a decade and Alf, at first, lived with his son Thomas. Then, daughter Ivy, a trained nurse, took care of him as dementia slowly shriveled his mind. Alfred Watson died in Portsmouth, England in 1949.

Percy Bowden resembled neither his father nor mother, but rather a previous ancestor, the hulking Samuel Bowden, a sheriff in Cornwall in the 1700s. Percy was friendly and soft-spoken. Avidly religious, unlike his brother Alf, he was dedicated to the Temperance movement and Women's Suffrage. Despite his size, Percy was gentle and though he appeared dour, he was actually quite fun-loving and fond of people. "A true liberal humanitarian" it was said of him. Percy's deep religious convictions attracted the attention of his future wife Ada Fugler, whose family was of German stock. Ada, unlike her husband, was a harsh woman who appealed to his serious side. Percy became a minister, but found England unsuitable to raise his family. Percy decided to emigrate to America in 1901 with Ada. The couple struggled to have children, though finally in 1910, son Frederick was born. Another son, born in 1914, Samuel, did not survive. Percy maintained a close correspondence with his brothers, excluding Frederick. The letters exchanged paint much of the family picture known today. Percy was often the sensible hand of guidance for spendthrift Alf, melancholy Rodney, and ebullient Owen. Percy was barely known to his grandson Lawrence who was 9 months old when he died. Percy Watson had contracted cancer and died just after Thanksgiving 1950.

Rodney John was the most different of the brothers. Small, melancholy and entirely devoted to his mother, Rodney remained a bachelor until his 40s and married only after the death of his mother for companionship, having no children. It was once thought that Rod was a closeted homosexual, but his utter disinterest in any romantic interaction would probably place him as an asexual today. Rod's letters to Percy are the ones filled with the most sadness and despair. Unlike any of the others, Rod never actively engaged in politics except as a nominal Labour voter. After his mother's death in 1916, it was thought Rod was a danger to himself. His letters on the subject are bitter. Angry at brothers Alfred and Owen in particular for missing the service given their continued close proximity. Rodney married a woman named Minnie Buckingham in 1917 to ease his loneliness, but his continued depression is ever present in letters. Rodney, however, was the keenest observer of the other family members and his insights and opinions on the other family members are the most descriptive. Rod's depression always took a toll on his heart and he was the first brother to pass away. He died at Plymouth City Hospital in October 1931.

Owen Symonds was the most talented of the brothers. He was accomplished in music, theater, photography and politics. He was the only one of the brothers to divorce, however. Owen was a passionate and ebullient man who grew excited easily and was close with brothers Percy and Rodney, though there were splits among them. Owen was a bit of a flake and missed their mother's funeral because he was acting in London. His first wife Mabel found his constant travelling intolerable and they divorced, however his second wife Dulcie Burke was a fellow theater performer and proved a happier match. Owen's letters are often full of name dropping, especially when he became active in local politics as well. Owen Watson's greatest faults were a certain ego-centrism and an active greed. Rod once described him as "too fond of the pound notes". Owen was the only brother to visit Percy in the U.S. and meet young Frederick. Owen produced two sons: Howard and Norman. Norman was killed in a road accident in the 1920s, but Howard Watson went on to become a radio personality in England. Owen Watson was long lived and corresponded with the extended family even after his brothers had all died. Owen died in 1960 after a brief illness.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 04:54:29 PM »

While I think of a way going forward, are there any questions regarding anything so far?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 11:44:30 PM »

For the record I am enjoying this and it's a good read.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 12:23:33 AM »

For the record I am enjoying this and it's a good read.

Thanks man.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 09:53:52 PM »

Lawrence Watson had just finished a rally in New Orleans. He had been everywhere and was seemingly perpetually over-scheduled. He was exhausted. His bulky frame flopped down in the seat of the private charter plane that was at least a size too small for him. Jimmy Lewis and another aide were the only other ones on the plane besides the pilot and the female reporter from Time who was following the campaign.

"You should get some rest, Senator," Jimmy told him.

"Not yet, I wanna call home just to check in with Laura and the kids..."

He picked up the phone and dialed slowly. It rang three times on the other end before young Owen picked up the phone.

"Hi, daddy."

"Hi, buddy. Is mommy up still?"

"Yeah, she's still up... Want me to get her?"

"Yeah, thanks buddy."

After a short wait, Laura Watson answered the phone, sounding just as tired as her husband.

"Where are you?"

"New Orleans. I'll be in Memphis tomorrow and then the convention in Cleveland.... You think they'll boo me?" He laughed.

"When will I see you again, Lawrence?"

"Bob O'Connor will fly with you and the boys to Cleveland and I'll meet you at the hotel."

Laura was not keen to go to Cleveland. She wanted to stay in Pittsburgh. She felt like an outsider among the politicians, even though they all liked her a great deal and the Watson children, being so young, were different to the grown adult children of the party elders. Still, she hated the scheming and conniving nature of politics, something her husband was good at, she knew, even if she wasn't always aware of how he did it.

"I guess I'll see you in a few days."

"I love you."

"I love you too."

Hanging up, he rubbed his temples and made another call. This one was to Senator Al Gore.

"Al, will you be with me in Memphis tomorrow?"

"As far as I know."

"Good. Do me a favor... Put some of your people out and plant them over the city to get people out to the rally. Use homeless people if you have to. Tell 'em the more they cheer, the more food they'll get."

"Lawrence, isn't that a bit far to go?"

"I want 3000 enthusiastic voters there to see me and if you don't have that place packed, then I'm going home!"

"I'll do whatever I can..."
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 03:29:15 AM »

"Having followed Senator Watson for some time is an interesting experience. When his legendary temper does not burst forth in an endless cascade of profanity, the Pennsylvania Senator is a very genial companion. He has charisma by the bucket load and he is a gifted raconteur. Every little thing seems to relate to some experience he's shared or heard of. In fact, Watson has the Irish gift of gab, though he is very firm in his denial of Irish ancestry. In fact, he's very proud of his Scots-Cornish heritage. The fiery temper and aggressiveness is certainly the Scottish blood while the touchiness and vindictiveness is certainly a Cornish trait.

Though he is regarded as heroic to his supporters in Pennsylvania, many also describe an ambitious and again vindictive personal nature when it comes to politics. He has never been able to bury the hatchet with Bob Casey and it's rumored that he refuses any sort of social relationship with Republicans who attacked him as a drunkard in the 1980 Senatorial Campaign and has in fact been a party to some of their own downfalls. We must take the bad with the good though. He works hard for Pennsylvania and for the nation as a whole. Senator Watson has put forth comprehensive programs on poverty, education, health care and foreign policy. He's also an extremely dedicated family man. Being apart from his beloved wife, an Australian born aeronautical engineer, and his young children, seems to devastate him. One son, is learning to read and the Senator will sit on a phone line listening to his child read from a storybook while his longtime chief of staff, Jim Lewis, tries to get him to focus on work. He also is a determined, strong and spirited man. Those are good qualities that come together with the poor ones. I've seen them all so far and we're not even in Cleveland yet..."
-- Heidi Robertson, Time Magazine Correspondent
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 PM »

Day 1 of the 1988 Democratic National Convention

Watson and Dent are seated together at their hotel suite watching the proceedings of the first day. Dent consults with his team and every so often makes a note on yellow legal pad while sipping a glass of jack and coke. Watson seems distracted. Rather than watch the goings on, he simply eats a cream cheese bagel and drinks an orange juice while talking to Jim Lewis. An aide enters and speaks to the good looking young Dent man, Barack Obama of Illinois, who in turn goes to Jim Lewis, speaking in a hushed tone.

Obama: I just talked to O'Connor and he wanted me to let you know that Senator Watson's family is here.
Lewis: Oh, thanks, Barry. I'll let Lawrence know. (Walks over and whispers in his ear) Laura and your kids are here, Lawrence.
Watson: Good. I'm gonna go down and meet them.
Dent: Don't let 'em see you down on the floor! I'll have 'em brought up through the back lobby.

Dent nods to Obama, who picks up the phone and makes the arrangements. Watson sits back in his chair, waiting impatiently. Before long, the door opens and following a burly secret service agent are the prematurely gray-haired Bob O'Connor and behind him, Brian, Owen and James run excitedly into the room. Laura comes in carrying five month old Sarah and tiredly sits next to Jimmy while the three older boys jump up on their dad.

Brian: Dad! We saw you on TV yesterday!
Lawrence: Oh yeah?
Brian: Yeah. They said everyone was looking forward to your speech. Will we get to see it?
Lawrence: That's up to your mother.
Owen: We miss you. We wanna come with you on the planes and stuff!
Lawrence: Soon. (Picks Owen up) Once Jeff and I win, you'll get to move into a big house right by the White House. Won't that be fun?
Owen: Can I bring my toys?
Lawrence: Yes, you can bring your toys.

Jamie doesn't articulate his thoughts like his older brothers. He mostly squeals and laughs as he plays and runs around. Watson picks him up and hands him to Jimmy.

Lawrence: James Elliott! Stop running around, you're gonna break your neck. Jimmy, can you take them down the hall to the pool area? Did you guys bring your trunks?
The Boys: Yeah!
Lewis: Ok, well, I'll take you down to play and your dad will be there in a little bit after he talks to your mom.

He takes them out leaving just Laura and the baby with him while the Dent people work around them. Laura tiredly sinks back into the chair when Lawrence goes to sit with her.

Lawrence: (Taking the baby) How was the trip?
Laura: Exhausting. Bob came at 6:30 to pick us up and we drove all morning. Sarah did nothing but cry. I can't take you being away like this, you know? The kids are too young for this, I wish you would've waited.
Lawrence: It'll be alright. Once January rolls around, you'll see me more. The VP doesn't really do much, does he, Jeff?
Dent: No promises! You get to do all the sh**t work I don't wanna do.
Laura: What's your schedule for the next few months. How much time do we get?
Lawrence: We'll get a few days every month. I'll make sure you guys can travel with me on certain days.
Laura: No, goddamnit! How often will you be at home?!
Lawrence: I won't be except for the one rally in the city in September...
Laura: This is bullsh**t.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2013, 01:17:23 PM »

As the speeches came and went over the first day, there was a general mood of celebration within the party. Conventions these days are usually the time when old grudges are usually forgotten and even party enemies break bread and enjoy themselves to a carnival atmosphere. Mo Udall's speech got everyone going and laughing as he broke down the Reagan administration and Senator Dole as a bore and Senator Heinz as the "less important Senator from Pennsylvania". Scott Westman's fiery speech got everyone in a rousing mood. Westman, the libertine westerner, spoke of his days as both a friend of Dent and Watson as well as knowing what the two would do for America in comparison to Dole. Dale Bumpers delivered another variation of his supple stump speech and in the first day's main event, Ted Kennedy reminded the party of what was at stake in this election. It was truly a masterful performance from every one of the day one speakers. Jeff Dent, though snarking as always, enjoyed himself from his room as most of the speakers paid him sincere compliments. Dent would be down in the hall on Day 2 to hear Watson's speech and he'd be in there on Day 3 to give his own speech and hear his own nomination. Until then, it was work on the speech and enjoy the praise heaped upon him. He'd experienced this before though. Dent wasn't about to let the faint praise get to his head or the whirlwind of the campaign stress him out. He had bigger fish to fry. He always did.

For Watson, there would be none of it. The day dedicated to him, the second day, was not promising to be as fun for him. Laura was pissed, but he did try to spend the day with her, though the convention hall and hotel were not exactly the most intimate places with everyone milling in and out constantly. The night before the second day was the first time they got any privacy together. Unable to sleep, Watson sat in the hotel chair and watched his wife sleep in bed. Staring into the darkness, he truly felt all the pressure finally coming down on his shoulders. He thought about the beginning. He remembered seeing many friends drafted to fight in Vietnam while he went to college because he happened to be such a good football player. He hadn't felt guilt in 1968... But he did now twenty years later. He thought about the battles in Pittsburgh politics where he worked for Pete Flaherty as chief of staff. He thought about when he sank into drinking and partying and womanizing in DC... He thought about being with Laura and he remembered when the two of them had really hit a problem because of his drinking and she had dated Scott.... He thought of his fight with Arlen Specter in 1980... Now this... He was lost in memories when he felt his wife put her hands on his chest which made him jump with a start.

Lawrence: When did you wake up?
Laura: Just a minute ago. How long have you been awake, Lawrence?
Lawrence: I haven't slept.
Laura: What's wrong, honey?
Lawrence: I'm sorry about everything. I'm sorry that I've never been home enough. When it's all over, I could be retired by 54 if everything goes like it should... I'll be home after that.
Laura: An ex-President at home with nothing to do?... No, I don't think I could stand you.
Lawrence: (Laughing) If it does, Jeff will have 8 years and then I'll have 8 years. Then it'll be over. I won't have anything to do except sit at home with you and we can rock our rocking chairs and complain about the music being too loud.
Laura: Y'know what, screw that. I married you because I loved you. I loved every part of you, even the part that wants to go out and see and save the world. Just find some balance is all. Remember that your children love you and want to play with you. I love you and want to play with you too... (They both break down laughing).
Lawrence: As soon as the campaign's over, win or lose, I'll make more time. I promise.
Laura: You need to get some sleep. You're going to be nominated for Vice President tomorrow...
Lawrence: Thank you for making it sound so trivial.

They laugh so hard that they end up in each other's arms before heading to bed.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 02:33:30 AM »

Hopefully something later tomorrow... If not, by next week.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2013, 07:01:57 PM »

Day 2

Everyone was waiting for Senator Watson at the end of the second day. Senator Dent, make no mistake, was a perfectly good speaker, if a bit ill at ease, but Watson could electrify a crowd. It is perhaps the one truly unique gift he possessed that the head of the ticket did not. Watson wasn't as cunning as Dent, nor was he as much a policy wonk (except on the issues that he was passionate for). When the mountainous Pennsylvanian strode to the stage, milking the audience and then stalling to suck up the adulation of the assembled Democrats, he was in his element. Senator Watson told his story in a 40 minute address that captivated the once weary gathering and injected some life into the hall with his charisma, wit and forcefulness. He was stopped by applause for almost a minute when he introduced his family to the national stage. The pride of Pennsylvania put forward Dent on his experience and talent. The iconic Alabaman could be proud of his running mate with that sort of speech. He smashed Dole as behind the times and just another clone of Reagan. He said his fellow PA Senator Heinz was a hedger and he pointed out that Heinz had voted against the health care benefits that would have allowed Heinz 57 employees better health care, so in fact he voted against the workers who had so loyally stuck by his family's company during the hard times in the 70s. Never had the future been clearer. Dent, everyone had known, was going to cruise to victory. Now, it looked virtually a certainty.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2013, 10:03:50 PM »

Pennsylvania's Political Landscape in 1988

John Heinz, running for Vice President is also up for re-election to the Senate. His primary was run unopposed, although many encouraged Arlen Specter to challenge Heinz. Specter refused, preferring to take a look at 1990.

The Democratic race was a gut-fight from the start of the primary. Five candidates vied to be the nominee and standard bearer in November. Casey-backed candidate Catherine Baker Knoll was taking on Watson-backed Rev. Bob Edgar for the nomination. Three other Democrats who were unaligned with any faction also stepped up. St. Rep. Peter J. Daley of California, Pennsylvania, Mayor Wilson Goode of Philadelphia, and an unknown gadfly named Herman F. Natalie. Although the Watson faction had the most money, Knoll, being from Western PA undercut Edgar's attempts to woo voters unfamiliar to him. Mayor Goode, unaligned with the factions, ran a campaign highly critical of Watson and Casey who he said were hurting the unity of the party. Daley had little money and only hoped to raise his profile in the party. Although the primary was a bruising affair between Edgar and Knoll, on primary day, it was revealed that the Watson faction had been victorious while the Casey faction was humiliated with Knoll's finish behind Goode.

Bob Casey, angry at Watson still over his hijacking of the state organization, prepared for a 1990 run for Governor where Ertel was term limited. The Watson faction was at a loss to provide a more popular candidate. Still, Watson's prideful nature would be hurt (especially if he became Vice President), if his arch-rival Casey were to become Governor. The Watson faction, desperate for a good candidate to fight Casey turned to Watson's old mentor Pete Flaherty to consider a run. When Flaherty refused, the Watson group found itself in turmoil.

The Watson-Casey rivalry dates as far back as 1978. That year, Casey lost the Democratic Gubernatorial primary by a bare margin to Flaherty. Flaherty, in turn, had lost to Dick Thornburgh. Watson blamed Casey's refusal to endorse Flaherty for his mentor's defeat and set about to wrest control of Pennsylvania's influence from Casey Democrats. After his stunning upset Senate win in 1980, which became Democratic folklore, Watson gained power and influence with politicians who saw him as good coattails to ride to victory, in stark contrast to Casey, Watson had never lost a campaign. In 1986, Casey had done all he could to undermine Watson by using his faction to contest the primary and viciously attack Watson's liberal record. Watson, furious at the personal attacks waged against him (even though his primary victory was all but assured), vindictively primaried Casey office holders in the 1987 and 1988 elections. For the 1988 Senate election, where the incumbent was a Republican, it turned into a free for all.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies