The Man of Steel: Watson Timeline Part II
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:12:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  The Man of Steel: Watson Timeline Part II
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: The Man of Steel: Watson Timeline Part II  (Read 9540 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2014, 06:28:15 PM »

"Well, now what should I do?" Watson thought a few days after the election. The first two days, Dent had told him to take a break and that most of the transition would be handled by his political team. "You're going to be important," he told me, thought Watson. Well, not to worry. For the next couple of days, he decided it was his chance to be lazy and that was perfectly fine with him. Laura and the boys were happy to have him back for an extended period of time. No matter what, they were always the least critical audience he would have.

It was snowing in Pittsburgh when he called the meeting at his home in Mt. Washington. His closest political advisers and friends were there. His grouping was unlike many political alliances in that rather than an equal partnership, his Pennsylvania coalition relied chiefly on him for sustenance. Without him, they wouldn't be together. Now, they were losing regular contact with him, so there needed to be a new direction to prepare everyone for the future.

"Jimmy, you're going to take over for me in the Senate for the rest of my term, then decide if you wanna stick around there or not. If you don't, you'll come back to my staff and we'll plug Singel or Ertel in... O'Connor, you're in as Mayor now that Richard is dead... So what's that leave us with? Governor?... Well, Casey wants that job. So, Edgar for Governor and Kukovich for Lt. Governor... Everything set?"

"The Casey people are gonna scream bloody murder and they're going to fight. I don't know if we'll have the muscle to beat them everywhere," Mark Singel concluded.

"Casey has a lot of skin in the game right now," Lewis added, trying to sound confidant. "If we were to sweep the board with Casey, the Republicans will simply pick up a lot of their numbers in a general election. Wouldn't it be better to concede in one or two races?"

"Like hell!" Watson made a habit of pounding his fists on the arm of his chair whenever he wanted to make a particularly important point. "I want that bastard gone! I can't be around to fight it anymore, we have to do it now!"

"Isn't this a rather small focus," Ertel said quietly. "You're Vice President-elect. Let the battle rest."

"No, I want this done by 1996. I want Bob Casey out of politics before I run for President, myself."

Ertel shrugged at Lewis, "You talk to him. He listens to you."

Laura Watson was quietly trying to do her pattern work while this was going on. She had grown very adept at making sewn nick-knacks for their friends. Politics was not something she loved like her husband. She liked the quiet focus of this new hobby and with young children, she liked to be able to make them things that were not made of plastic and didn't hurt when thrown. All this time, she tried her best to ignore the plotting and the yelling and the paranoia of her husband's profession, but at this point, she couldn't take it anymore.

"Will you all please leave?" She demanded quietly, her accent so contrasted with his. "I haven't seen my husband for 6 months for more than a night at a time. I want time with him. He told you all want to do, so go do it."

Everyone was silent.

"Yeah, yinz guys better go. I'll call ya," the Vice President-elect let his natural accent slip out. Even a "yinz", something he hadn't said in years. He clearly wasn't paying much attention to his professional facade. When everyone cleared the room, she tried to hold back the tears, but they came anyway.

"I want you home. I can't take being in political life until 2000 if all goes well for your career."

"But even if things do go well, you'll see more of me now. We're moving across the street from the White House. There might be months on end where Jeff doesn't want me to do anything. Who knows how it could be?"

"He won't. You'll be gone even more now."
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2014, 08:11:09 PM »

Anything I haven't covered in awhile or anything you guys have questions on?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2014, 08:35:37 AM »

IRL the Vice President lives in the United States Naval Observatory, not the Blaid House. I think it wouldn't be wise for security reason to have the two top officeholders living across the street.

But, if you wan't to have it as a butterfly of sort (residence established there), it's an interesting development Smiley

"No, I want this done by 1996. I want Bob Casey out of politics before I run for President, myself."

I approve of having Bob Casey politically executed.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2014, 09:36:43 PM »

I know... I just always wanted it to be the VP living in Blair House. I enjoy that kind of symmetry.... Just for sh**ts and giggles. Wink

That's the hope.

Also, good to see you back, Kal.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2014, 01:14:56 PM »

January 1989

Watson could look back on inauguration day as one of the most enjoyable of his life to that point. All the focus and attention was on Dent and that was fine with him. Let Jeff use that southern charm of his and be the center of attention, he thought. Meanwhile, Watson simply could enjoy the laid back socialization that the anonymity of the VP affords. With Laura at his side, he chatted casually with David Owen who was on his second tour of duty as British Foreign Secretary at the post-inaugural party. Owen was the MP for the same seat Watson's maternal great-great grandfather had served in and like Watson, Owen had married a foreigner, but an American. Watson had maintained his interest in British politics, but the two mostly chatted about Plymouth and what it was like to marry a foreigner.

After that conversation broke up he and Laura sought out Senator Udall who mentioned feeling ill. Udall eventually left the party early complaining of exhaustion and asking the Watsons not to mention anything about it to anyone. Senator Biden was much more enthusiastic company. Watson and Biden were both rail enthusiasts and supporters of AMTRAK. Biden had managed to remember seeing the massive model railroad layout in the Watson home in Mt. Washington and asked if it had expanded at all since he was last a guest.

"Not really, Joe. It's been busy with the campaign. Once we get a chance to go back though and work on it, I'll bring you up."

"That'd be fan-f'in'-tastic, man."

That was Joe. Senator Simon, speaking seriously in his deep bass which came out from a body you wouldn't have expected it to. Simon was anxious to present his PAYGO bill before Congress, which would be a shift to the right from previous Democratic policy. Simon wanted to gauge whether or not the administration would back it when it came up for debate.

"Paul, this seems like a real shift away from our core values."

"But it's not, really. It gives us flexibility, especially with things like the Defense budget. If you get them believing there'll be cuts, they'll scream bloody murder, but they'll also start to be more efficient."

"Well, we do need to get that under control. There's really no department besides the DoD where the expenses are getting out of control, not even social security and we're in for trouble there if this bill goes through. Keep that in mind, Paul. I'll see what I can do with the President."

Watson's favorite companion of the evening proved to be the ever-profane Scott Westman who was contemplating a return to Montana soon to run for Governor in the next cycle which would be all the way in 1992.

"How can you want to leave Washington, Scott? Isn't it just the picture of real America here?" Watson jibed with a dripping not of sarcasm. "Who would want to be in Montana getting things accomplished when you can stay here and deal with gridlock and ass kissing and money grubbing?"

"I friggin' hate it here, man. Either way, I'm so done with Washington after this cycle. I won't miss your fat ass, that's for sure."

Watson let out a big laugh, "By 2001, I'm going to be home. From VP to POTUS and retired at 51."

"Well, it's a good thing you're being humble about everything..."

"Scott, I've got it figured that once it's all over, I'll be able to go home and be with the family. I mean, I get everything done quickly and I can live on a pension and do nothing."

"Ya lazy fat bastard. What if, Jeff gets knocked out in '96? What are you going to do between then and 2000 to keep yourself busy?"

"I'd be running for President, obviously," Watson laughed. Westman shook his head and knocked back a Dewar's and soda. "Come on, Scott, it's a party! Let's go see Jeff, or should I say POTUS now?"
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2014, 09:20:33 PM »

DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES FOR THE 1990 PENNSYLVANIA
GUBERNATORIAL ELECTION

Robert P. Casey - Bob Casey, a social conservative and leader of the anti-Watson Democrats in Pennsylvania has long been desirous of the Governor's mansion. Laying the groundwork beginning in early 1988 for a run, Casey has been working very hard to overcome the Watson allies in the west with his own, significantly smaller Scranton network. Casey has strong appeal to conservative Irish Catholics outside of Pittsburgh due to his political views and also due to the fact that Watson is of English descent and not a Catholic. Though Casey has a much smaller political base in the state, he is the central figure running, unlike the Vice President who cannot be there to monitor every development. Casey will likely go into primary day as the favorite due to the sheer amount of attention he's paid to the race.

Robert W. Edgar - A liberal Methodist minister and Watsonite, Edgar is a U.S. Congressman who has represented a Republican-leaning district for the past 4 terms despite his strong left-wing rhetoric. Edgar does not have the same type of base advantages that Casey does, nor has he been able to campaign as early and openly. Edgar can count on the support of Watson's powerful machine, but apart from that, if Edgar cannot take advantage of such a powerful supporter, he could potentially be swamped.

Edward G. Rendell - A liberal from Philadelphia, though unaffiliated with Watson, Rendell has been Philly Mayor for the past 5 years and is looking to parley his successful "everyman" personality into a trip to Harrisburg. Rendell wants to break the grasp of both the Watson and Casey machines in favor of one of his own. His feelings on Casey are heavy dislike due to politics and personality differences, but his feelings on Watson are mingled jealousy of his Pittsburgh power base mixed in with his own ambitions. Rendell is desperate to avoid being lost in the shuffle.

Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2014, 11:05:07 PM »

Sitting with President Dent in a cabinet meeting, Watson had occupied himself by writing instructions to Jim Lewis who was still on his staff, waiting for Governor Ertel to appoint him to the Senate seat. Still exercising some control somewhere appealed to him.

"Lawrence, I need you to meet with the new Senate leadership come Monday," Dent told him matter of factly. "Make sure Ted keeps things moving down there on the floor without me."

"It shouldn't be much trouble," Watson reminded him. "We've got clear majorities in both houses.

"Well, do it anyway. Can't afford to waste a single day on this..."

Watson also had the unenviable task of having Ted Kennedy keep his friend Paul Simon's PAYGO bill from going forward. It just wasn't feasible at this point with Dent's plans for spending.

"Is there anything else I can do, Jeff?"

"Well," Dent spent a long moment thinking. "See if you can distract John McCain, Mitch McConnell and Chuck Grassley. Get them to a meeting because there's an appropriations bill I wanna pass and they've been making some noise against it."

"Can we spare anyone? It'll look better if I can get a Democrat in there as well. They might not suspect anything..."

"Lloyd Bentsen... Wendell Ford told me he's iffy. While you're holding a meeting, we'll call the vote and get it done before they know what hit 'em."

So, Watson convened the meeting under the guise of negotiating the appropriations bill. Watson felt strongly that when they all got the news that they'd been deceived, they'd never work with the Administration again. The President was like this. He supposed he'd have to help smooth things over a bit when it was over. Laura made sandwiches and coffee, which the VP didn't drink, to try and keep things casual as the conversation went on. 35 minutes later, a McCain aide came running.

"Senator McCain, we have to get back to the chamber quickly. They've called the vote!"

"Son of a bitch!"
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2014, 02:13:01 PM »

Grassley leapt to his feet and rushed out the door. This was a shambles. Lloyd Bentsen glared hard at the VP. His withering look told the story. I don't like being used. Bentsen followed Grassley out while McConnell cleared his throat and followed them. McCain stayed behind, clearly agitated.

"You son of a bitch, I knew not to trust your fat ass to be on the level!" That set Watson off.

"You're no goddamned saint. Don't act like if you were in my position you wouldn't do the same thing."

"It's not the same thing. The Senate will know not to trust the administration on anything now."

McCain angrily stood and knocked over his chair as he went out. Dent's plan had turned into a disaster. Not really on the vote, that was perfectly winnable. But Dent's idea of keeping three prominent opponents from the final vote, plus one serious waverer, had failed spectacularly. Not only would they all be voting, but word would get around that the administration had been dishonest. This kind of trick would probably never work again. Or not for awhile. Watson called the President to let him know.

"They what?!"

"One of McCain's staffers got in to warn him. They're all making the vote."

"Damn! We might not have enough to pass it at this rate."

"We should... Mr. President, we're going to have to smooth this over, somehow."

"Don't worry about that. I'll talk to them. Have you spoken to Simon yet?"

"No. That's Kennedy's or Cranston's job to do."

"I need you to do it..."

"What the hell for?"

"Simon likes you. You'll be the one to soften him up. Then we can get Teddy to talk to him."
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2015, 11:09:13 PM »

I'm going to continue this as soon as I get the chance.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2015, 12:55:36 AM »

The meeting with Paul Simon had gone as planned. He had smoothed everything over there and delayed the plan for PAYGO a little while longer to get Simon to work on some revisions.

The final vote also went the administration's way in the end. The meeting that had cost him and Dent some goodwill on Capitol Hill was not even necessary. Watson lit a cigar he'd had in his desk drawer for the past two weeks. He'd picked up the habit of smoking cigars again, something he worked to hide from Laura who worked hard to keep him healthy. Picking up the phone, he placed a call to Governor Ertel.

"Hey Allen... Yeah, it's time. We need Lewis in the Senate. Some waverers are giving us problems and my old seat can't be left empty. Can you get it done quickly? Good. Goodbye."

Hanging up the phone, he leaned back and finished his cigar when he saw an old friend at the door.

"Hey, Scott."

"Hey, Lar... You look fookin' bored. Bein' VP not fun enough?"

"Are you kidding? Pissy Senators, an angry President, no respect... I've got it made, Westman. Come on, have a cigar."
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies