NH-Sen: Scott Brown's flirtation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:45:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NH-Sen: Scott Brown's flirtation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10
Author Topic: NH-Sen: Scott Brown's flirtation  (Read 21920 times)
henster
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: July 07, 2014, 07:07:24 PM »

Shaheen is no pushover Brown thought she was weak but she is an experienced pol and a far more skilled politician than Brown. I think he severely underestimated her abilities as a candidate he will end up losing badly and embarrassing himself.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #201 on: July 07, 2014, 07:56:21 PM »

No. We'll see the final result in November, although Shaheen has about a 73% chance of winning at this point. I personally hope Brown can make a comeback, but his new state seems to feel quite differently so far.

No, it's over. This isn't about "we'll see" anymore - he's gotten a lot of hate from the left (for being a shill for the Koch brothers), from both sectors of the far-right (for his stances on abortion and gun control), and from most groups around the state (I have a friend who's a moderate Republican, and a former fan of Scott Brown, who says that he "knows he can't win in Massachusetts so he's trying to take our Senate seat"). And to make matters worse for him, there's a libertarian in the race to capitalize on the "pissed off conservatives" vote, and candidates who are dissuaged by Brown's carpetbagging.

Add this with the constant polls and it's looking like this race is safe.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #202 on: July 07, 2014, 08:01:59 PM »

Shaheen is no pushover Brown thought she was weak but she is an experienced pol and a far more skilled politician than Brown. I think he severely underestimated her abilities as a candidate he will end up losing badly and embarrassing himself.

I don't think he'll lose by any sort of wide margin, I think it'll end up around Shaheen's 2008 margin (7 points), give or take a point or two.

Brown thought Shaheen would be an easy target because she's from a state that is far more purple than MA and because Shaheen is one of the least bipartisan senators, voting with the majority of democrats about 99% of the time.  But apparently her state doesn't care whether she's bipartisan or not, or perhaps they just don't see a former massachusetts senator who lost by 8 despite having a 59% approval rating as being all that better than Shaheen. Republicans should have gone with someone like Judd Gregg or perhaps even Sununu again.... This race hasn't been polled much by reputable companies, and if this is to be another 2010 perhaps Shaheen could go down, but under the political climate of today she seems to be okay.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #203 on: July 07, 2014, 08:16:37 PM »

Brown thought Shaheen would be an easy target because she's from a state that is far more purple than MA and because Shaheen is one of the least bipartisan senators, voting with the majority of democrats about 99% of the time.  But apparently her state doesn't care whether she's bipartisan or not, or perhaps they just don't see a former massachusetts senator who lost by 8 despite having a 59% approval rating as being all that better than Shaheen.

And why should they? Shaheen was a popular three-term governor before and still has a lot of good will left over from that, and remember that, for people who are so hard-up for bipartisanship, the state's other senator is a conservative Republican.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #204 on: July 07, 2014, 08:17:24 PM »

No. We'll see the final result in November, although Shaheen has about a 73% chance of winning at this point. I personally hope Brown can make a comeback, but his new state seems to feel quite differently so far.

This seems oddly precise...

Yeah, where exactly does 73% come from? Both WaPo and the Upshot have Shaheen at over 90%.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #205 on: July 07, 2014, 08:21:20 PM »

I don't think he'll lose by any sort of wide margin, I think it'll end up around Shaheen's 2008 margin (7 points), give or take a point or two.

Brown thought Shaheen would be an easy target because she's from a state that is far more purple than MA and because Shaheen is one of the least bipartisan senators, voting with the majority of democrats about 99% of the time.  But apparently her state doesn't care whether she's bipartisan or not, or perhaps they just don't see a former massachusetts senator who lost by 8 despite having a 59% approval rating as being all that better than Shaheen. Republicans should have gone with someone like Judd Gregg or perhaps even Sununu again.... This race hasn't been polled much by reputable companies, and if this is to be another 2010 perhaps Shaheen could go down, but under the political climate of today she seems to be okay.

ITT: "Moderates" parrot right-wing talking points because "muh bipartisanship".

No, we don't care if she's bipartisan or not. She was a very good governor who managed to get beaten in an R-leaning year because of a combination of her policies as governor (mainly trying to create a sales tax) and foul play. We aren't going to give Massachusetts one of our Senate seats. Scott Brown has only been here for six months, and now, he blatantly wants to take advantage of New Hampshire voters and directly sabotaged one of Shaheen's bills to weaken her standing as a Senator. I'd be sweating this race if John Sununu ran, or even Garcia or Chris Sununu, but Scott Brown cannot beat her, even if it's another 2010. We aren't stupid.
NHLiberal

« Reply #206 on: July 07, 2014, 08:54:28 PM »

Republicans can't just "go with" Judd Gregg or Sununu. That would have required one of them to want to run, and if that had been the case, Scott Brown wouldn't be running/wouldn't have a chance if he was running. Obviously neither of them wanted to run.

Prediction: Brown loses to Shaheen by a larger margin than he lost to Warren.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #207 on: July 07, 2014, 09:54:15 PM »

It's entirely possible that he loses to Shaheen by more than he lost to Warren. New Hampshire is far less Democratic than Massachusetts, but can have hard swings in either direction and Shaheen could easily get 55% to 56% of the vote against Brown.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #208 on: July 07, 2014, 10:54:48 PM »

any chance Scott Brown comes out with a statement that says "tee hee, just kidding! I'm not really going to run fro Senate in somebody else's state." ?  Tongue
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #209 on: July 07, 2014, 11:02:40 PM »

any chance Scott Brown comes out with a statement that says "tee hee, just kidding! I'm not really going to run fro Senate in somebody else's state." ?  Tongue
No chance at all. This is a good thing for republicans, as Brown is consistently polling better against Shaheen than the other republican candidates are (Former NH Sen. Robert Smith, Former NH State Sen. Jim Rubens, and Perennial Candidate Andy Martin).
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #210 on: July 08, 2014, 08:28:23 AM »

No chance at all. This is a good thing for republicans, as Brown is consistently polling better against Shaheen than the other republican candidates are (Former NH Sen. Robert Smith, Former NH State Sen. Jim Rubens, and Perennial Candidate Andy Martin).

The fact that you are reduced to citing the fact that Scott Brown polls better than the likes of Bob Smith as your evidence of the forner's "strength" really says it all Tongue
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #211 on: July 08, 2014, 09:33:08 AM »

Polling better than people nobody's heard of isn't a huge distinction.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #212 on: July 08, 2014, 11:56:25 AM »

The people of New Hampshire never heard of Bob Smith when they elected him to the Senate?
NHLiberal

« Reply #213 on: July 08, 2014, 12:36:30 PM »

The people of New Hampshire never heard of Bob Smith when they elected him to the Senate?

He left the party to run for President in 2000 then moved to Florida to run for Senate there and is back for the first time in 12 years, so lots of people don't remember him. And even amongst those who do, he is, for the most part, persona non grata
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #214 on: July 14, 2014, 10:48:59 PM »

He left the party to run for President in 2000 then moved to Florida to run for Senate there and is back for the first time in 12 years, so lots of people don't remember him. And even amongst those who do, he is, for the most part, persona non grata

Does anyone actually think Smith has a chance? He's run a terrible campaign, especially for a former senator, and has hardly raised his name recognition. The only thing he could possibly have going for him is the "Scott Brown is a Carpetbagger" sentiment.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #215 on: July 14, 2014, 11:15:19 PM »

I forgot Bob Smith ever existed.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #216 on: July 14, 2014, 11:32:01 PM »

If anyone is going to upset Scott Brown, it's probably Jim Reubens, not Bob Smith. But I think Brown will win the nod, even with his decline in poll numbers against Shaheen.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #217 on: July 16, 2014, 03:19:28 PM »

Brown runs as far away from Hobby Lobby as he can.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #218 on: July 17, 2014, 02:36:56 AM »

Kelly Ayotte to officiate the wedding of Scott Brown's daughter.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #219 on: July 17, 2014, 04:59:30 AM »

Go home Scott, you're drunk.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #220 on: July 17, 2014, 10:48:09 AM »

Remember when we thought this was competitive?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #221 on: July 17, 2014, 11:02:11 AM »

When?
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #222 on: July 17, 2014, 11:41:10 AM »

EXACTLY!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #223 on: July 17, 2014, 01:57:51 PM »

Who is we?
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #224 on: July 17, 2014, 02:36:20 PM »

Another exactly. Though I have seen some people use "we" as a hive-like statement for their party, so I guess you could say Republicans that like Scott Brown like me. Now the smoke has cleared and it's clear he is not the cavalry to take out Shaheen we all made him out to be.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies