The Imperial Herald-Tribune
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:53:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Imperial Herald-Tribune  (Read 2969 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 25, 2013, 07:39:34 PM »
« edited: August 30, 2013, 09:34:12 PM by Emperor SJoyce »

The South's Finest Newspaper
Offices: Atlanta, Charleston, Columbia, Jackson, Jacksonville, Mobile, Montgomery, Nashville, New Orleans, and Wilmington.

Welcome to my new project. Although we have a good number of newspapers, we don't have one focusing on regional matters - this one's different. We intend to provide high-quality journalism with a special focus on the government and people of the Imperial Dominion.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 03:55:02 PM »

I'm liking it.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 08:51:53 AM »

Legislature Becomes Pit of Inactivity

Over the last 10 days, the IDS Legislature has been largely empty. I'd like to single out Legislators Dereich and Velasco - although I almost never agree with the latter, he at least has been contributing to the debate in the Legislature and has remained active. Legislature Jerry offered some input as well, 6 days ago. Legislature Zanas has not spoken on the legislation for the last several days (although his behavior is at least somewhat excusable - he has declared his intentions to not run for re-election and will presumably leave the legislature following the current election). As for Legislator Hashemite, he has not spoken in the Legislature for the last 13 days.

But yet, despite this inactivity, he still is a heavy favorite to win re-election - the current election is for three legislators... and there are three candidates running. What does this speak to? Does the Legislature need something more interesting to debate? That can be solved by bills being introduced, but the current legislation is extremely important and is worthy of a good debate. Do Labor's claims that their strategic registration caused an increase in activity still hold water? More importantly: will anything of note get passed this Legislative session? There are big things on the table - rules of procedure, constitutional changes, education reforms... but will the Legislature ever act on them? We need more active people in our Legislature, and if any of you IDS citizens not currently holding office want a swing at it, please, jump right in.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 09:07:22 AM »

There are big things on the table - rules of procedure, constitutional changes

I don't think anyone besides me enjoys those
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 02:30:45 PM »

There are big things on the table - rules of procedure, constitutional changes

I don't think anyone besides me enjoys those

Hey, those are my favorites.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 07:06:10 PM »

The Northeast and Mideast continue to pull their own legislative weight while the other three regions lag behind. Get stuff done, IDS!
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 08:03:01 PM »

The Northeast and Mideast continue to pull their own legislative weight while the other three regions lag behind. Get stuff done, IDS!

You will see soon how dull it is to argue procedural issues. It takes a very special kind of person to enjoy debating them.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 08:08:24 PM »

You will see soon how dull it is to argue procedural issues. It takes a very special kind of person to enjoy debating them.

Hopefully, I'll have free time this summer to antagonize everyone into getting things done. Cheesy
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 08:14:36 PM »

When are we going to get rid of our silly names? I asked that earlier and was ignored by our legislature.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 11:33:56 PM »

When are we going to get rid of our silly names? I asked that earlier and was ignored by our legislature.

If I remember correctly, you asked right before we were swallowed up by procedures. I don't know how the other legislators feel, but at this point I'm sitting back and letting the new Emperor propose any constitutional changes. One of the big issues he ran on was constitutional change and I thought he might like to be the one to have first crack at how and what should be changed.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 11:57:22 PM »

We need to tackle big issues. I am not shocked that the legislature is inactive now. Few people get hard off debating procedure. I'm not dismissing it as unimportant, but it's not something many care about, and it certainly will not get this session started off with a surge in activity. It's something you should work in over time.

Anyway, that's my spiel, but I'm not in the legislature now so it can be ignored. Tongue
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 06:41:20 AM »

IDS Legislative Election Tracker

Quota: 3

First count:

Alfred F. Jones: 3
Dereich: 3
Pingvin99: 1
Hashemite: 1

Alfred F. Jones and Dereich are elected. Hashemite has 4 2nd preferences to Pingvin's 0, so he is elected.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 09:08:09 AM »

If I remember correctly, you asked right before we were swallowed up by procedures. I don't know how the other legislators feel, but at this point I'm sitting back and letting the new Emperor propose any constitutional changes. One of the big issues he ran on was constitutional change and I thought he might like to be the one to have first crack at how and what should be changed.

I'm still waiting for SJoyce. Honestly, given that Constitutional reform was in SJoyce agenda in the last campaign, I though that it was the first issue to deal with and not because I'm waiting proposals from our Gov, but because I think it's a gubernatorial prerogative to open the debate in a specific thread of his election (we talked something about this issue before). The debate should be open to all the citizens of the South, which should be encouraged to submit their proposals like legislators and any Southerner official. FTR, this tabloid, ahem, newspaper is called 'Imperial'. Procedural issues have capital importance as well, but it would be funny to have to change words like 'IDS' or 'Emperor' if we finally change the Imperial nomenclature. I think that legislator Hashemite deserves recognition for the procedural bill, on the other hand. It's certainly a task more appropriate for experienced than for newbies like us. Perhaps it's not the funniest matter in the Universe. Besides, after a polarized campaign focused in that infamous nuclear bill, I got tired and bored and I only stayed in the Legislature because I hoped to see those crucial reforms discussed. Given the paralysis, I must admit that I procrastinated and I was thinking in resignation, but Zanas took me by surprise.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 09:17:49 AM »

I'm still waiting for SJoyce. Honestly, given that Constitutional reform was in SJoyce agenda in the last campaign, I though that it was the first issue to deal with and not because I'm waiting proposals from our Gov, but because I think it's a gubernatorial prerogative to open the debate in a specific thread of his election (we talked something about this issue before).

I have already issued a proposal for some Constitutional changes I would like to see made in both my office and the introduction thread. If anybody would like to sponsor them then go right ahead.

The debate should be open to all the citizens of the South, which should be encouraged to submit their proposals like legislators and any Southerner official.

All citizens are welcome to give input.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 09:19:10 AM »

As for Legislator Hashemite, he has not spoken in the Legislature for the last 13 days.

I don't spend my entire life on this forum and I have lots of other stuff to do in my life, which might not be the case for you. Over the past 10 or so days, I needed to read 5 books, write a 10-page essay, prepare a presentation and do regular weekly assignments all for the same class. So I hope you will excuse me for not dedicating my whole free time (what was left of it) to the legislature. On the other hand, it would have been nice if you had been intellectually honest enough to point out that I was the one who introduced the very long procedural bill which, when it will pass, will hopefully increase activity significantly. Nobody else proposed anything to counter inactivity, but I did. I also introduced an education bill which is next in the queue. So at least have the intellectual honesty to point that out. Jesus Christ.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 09:38:57 AM »

As for Legislator Hashemite, he has not spoken in the Legislature for the last 13 days.

I don't spend my entire life on this forum and I have lots of other stuff to do in my life, which might not be the case for you. Over the past 10 or so days, I needed to read 5 books, write a 10-page essay, prepare a presentation and do regular weekly assignments all for the same class. So I hope you will excuse me for not dedicating my whole free time (what was left of it) to the legislature. On the other hand, it would have been nice if you had been intellectually honest enough to point out that I was the one who introduced the very long procedural bill which, when it will pass, will hopefully increase activity significantly. Nobody else proposed anything to counter inactivity, but I did. I also introduced an education bill which is next in the queue. So at least have the intellectual honesty to point that out. Jesus Christ.

I'm not demanding nor expecting that you dedicate your entire free time to this legislature, but, under the procedural bill that you introduced (which I thank you for writing - I believe I mentioned in my office how its passage is one of my priorities for this session) your legislative seat would be vacated automatically by 9 PM tomorrow night if you didn't post on legislative business. When people go missing from the Legislature, it's a problem.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 10:16:55 AM »

I'm still waiting for SJoyce. Honestly, given that Constitutional reform was in SJoyce agenda in the last campaign, I though that it was the first issue to deal with and not because I'm waiting proposals from our Gov, but because I think it's a gubernatorial prerogative to open the debate in a specific thread of his election (we talked something about this issue before).

I have already issued a proposal for some Constitutional changes I would like to see made in both my office and the introduction thread. If anybody would like to sponsor them then go right ahead.

The debate should be open to all the citizens of the South, which should be encouraged to submit their proposals like legislators and any Southerner official.

Your proposals are welcome but I was talking about opening the debate in a specific thread, as we talked in the Legislature. You are the one who has the duty and the prerogative. Use the Imperial Almanac or a new thread, but open the debate giving a public announcement in order that every citizen in the South is informed.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 11:22:20 AM »

Your proposals are welcome but I was talking about opening the debate in a specific thread, as we talked in the Legislature. You are the one who has the duty and the prerogative. Use the Imperial Almanac or a new thread, but open the debate giving a public announcement in order that every citizen in the South is informed.

Ah, that makes sense. Well, if we pass the legislation that's currently under debate in the Legislature and someone sponsors my amendment, then the amendment would be opened in a new thread anyways - if it does get sponsored, when it comes up for debate I'll remember to put up a notification post in my office on the AFE board so that everyone sees it.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 12:23:43 PM »

I think people is impatient, at least this is the impression that I have reading some replies here.
The Constitutional debate may go in parallel with the normal legislative work. There's still a considerable docket and issues may suffer more delay, which is not good for the region. In my opinion you should open a thread in this board -not in the Regional Government one- now and let the people have their say. On the other hand I think that it might be a good thing proceding to debate the articles in an orderly form, in order that the people don't get lost in the discussion.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 03:10:05 PM »

Legislative Outlook

Currently on the floor of the Legislature is a proposal by Legislator Hashemite to attempt to combat bullying in schools. This legislation, although it has attracted some debate as to proper units of measurement and reporting periods, is largely uncontroversial. It has attracted the Emperor's support and, despite the author only being barely re-elected, is expected to pass fairly easily.

Additionally there is a proposal by Legislator Dereich to lower the minimum wage, taking advantage of a federal law that let regions set their own wages. This legislation, however, has an uncertain future in a Legislature that is presently largely dominated by left-wing interests.

The only other piece of legislation officially introduced (the Emperor does not have the power to introduce legislation into the legislature) is by Legislator Alfred F. Jones, a newly-elected legislator who previously served in several posts in Northeast regional government before deciding to move down here for some nefarious purpose. His legislation, named after some random dead Senator with no connection whatsoever to this region outside of a war, would index traffic fines to income - a policy that can be found in a variety of European countries, as well as the Northeast region. However, the legislation does not include a cap on fine amount, which could result in cartoonishly large fines being assessed - a cap, say at $25,000 (around ten times the current maximum) would make the legislation still achieve much of its goals without making people pay $200,000 for a traffic ticket.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 09:55:44 AM »
« Edited: June 21, 2013, 07:47:48 PM by Emperor SJoyce »

Election Update

Although it's early, election returns so far suggest that this will be an easy race for Sen. Yankee. He currently leads IDS Legislator Hashemite 7 to 5, with Sen. Hagridofthedeep, current Legislative candidate Jbrase, Legislator JerryAR, Legislator Alfred F. Jones, Justice Opebo, former SoIA Snowguy, and legal genius Bacon King casting their ballots in support of the PPT, while Labor Party chairman Adam Griffin, Mr. Sawx, Legislator Velasco, former Speaker Zanas, and Hashemite (obviously) supported the challenger.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 02:25:20 PM »

Election Tracker

Presently an election for Emperor is occurring in the IDS, between current Speaker Dereich (Fed), former Senator Bacon King (Lab), and Legislator Velasco (independent). With around 55% of votes already cast and Dereich jumping out to a strong 16-6-1 lead over his nearest competitor Bacon King, the Herald-Tribune projects that Dereich will be the next Emperor of the Imperial Dominion of the South.

In the election to two seats in the Imperial Legislature, incumbent Federalist Supersonic leads with 10 votes, compared to 7 for former Legislator JerryArkansas and 6 for former Speaker Zanas46. At this time, the race is too close to call - however, with the votes in so far, Supersonic and JerryAR would win election, with all Supersonic voters second-preferencing JerryAR.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2013, 04:42:44 PM »

I have returns saying former Speaker Zanas, from Alabama, is going to retain his seat by a somewhat narrow margin.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2013, 04:44:56 PM »

*grabs the popcorn*
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2013, 04:46:03 PM »

Sorry, I meant Zanas of Alabama is going to retain the seat for Labor Party. I forgot I was the former Labor Legislator Wink
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies