Tea Party sues for "right" to redistrict Kentucky themselves
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:08:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Tea Party sues for "right" to redistrict Kentucky themselves
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Tea Party sues for "right" to redistrict Kentucky themselves  (Read 5273 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 10:36:52 AM »

God damned Democrat politics... takin' away our God-given right to gerrymander our state. 
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 04:09:17 PM »

I quite like the idea that anyone could submit a map to the judges, which would then pick the best. It has the potential to do a lot of good (provided that the judges are impartial, of course).

Define "the best".

Least population variation with reasonably compact districts and no pronounced partisan bias.

Though I understand other people might have different definitions. As long as it's not "the map that best suits my party"...

Some of the best maps last year came from courts. I think NY and CO were rather good, all things considered.
Benj

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 04:16:28 PM »

I quite like the idea that anyone could submit a map to the judges, which would then pick the best. It has the potential to do a lot of good (provided that the judges are impartial, of course).

Define "the best".

Least population variation with reasonably compact districts and no pronounced partisan bias.

Though I understand other people might have different definitions. As long as it's not "the map that best suits my party"...

Some of the best maps last year came from courts. I think NY and CO were rather good, all things considered.

Definitely judges do the best job of drawing maps--better than nonpartisan commissions, way better than legislatures (regardless of how many ultimately toothless restrictions you put on the legislature). But they do a much better job when they create their own maps than when they accept public submissions.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 04:20:41 PM »

Iowa wasn't that bad and frankly neither was West Virginia, but they have whole county requirements and that only works in such states that are small.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2013, 10:23:49 AM »

That is why there are 3-judge panels for election cases.  In the Texas redistricting case, if the 5th Circuit Justice had not written his dissent, the SCOTUS probably would not have stepped in, and the home-town judges would have got away with drawing the map.

The Democrats opposed intervention by neutral parties in the Texas case, and the hometown judge said we've got enough "help".

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies