NE2 Amendment to restore sanity
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:58:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE2 Amendment to restore sanity
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE2 Amendment to restore sanity  (Read 659 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2013, 02:36:25 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Senator Kalwejt

Kalwejt, you have 24 hours to advocate for this bill. Debate time shall last 72 hours.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 05:29:53 PM »

So is the Lieutenant Governor the Governor's running mate? Or is he elected separately, like in California?
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 09:43:28 PM »

I like with this bill that the lieutenant governor is elected so you have to declare for it and seek the job. With the current system of number of first preferences you can get the job without even wanting it.

I don't know if we have enough interested people to fill this job in addition to other elected officials if the lieutenant governor can't hold any other jobs.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 04:30:12 AM »

Kalwejt, you have 24 hours to advocate for this bill. Debate time shall last 72 hours.

I believe the second highest officer of our region should be elected directly by the people, not randomly selected by number of first preferences.

Second, the situation when Lt. Governor is Speaker at the same time is not only violating "can't serve two offices" principle. It also can be very impractical, as we all saw recently.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 04:56:22 AM »

I certainly agree with the principle of this bill, my problem is that it will be a real struggle to get people to run for it. We only had 3 candidates for the much more powerful position of representative, Is there any way that anyone can think of to strengthen the power of the lieutenant governor, like in the mideast?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 05:19:05 AM »

I certainly agree with the principle of this bill, my problem is that it will be a real struggle to get people to run for it. We only had 3 candidates for the much more powerful position of representative, Is there any way that anyone can think of to strengthen the power of the lieutenant governor, like in the mideast?

That's the issue that should be studies.

Since I'm no longer a voting member of this body, I can at most suggest an amendment.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 12:04:25 PM »

I will not pass this bill if we are not going to define what the Lt does, I mean we are going to have an election that noone is going to run in...
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 08:17:36 PM »

I know it's probably not a good idea because the chief justice officer doesn't get elected but the Lieutenant governor could be the Chief judicial officer. I got this idea thinking about the job of Lieutenant governor would interest someone not having to to daily work but available to be activated in a role when needed. This made me think of the chief justice. The Lieutenant governor role would be more a caretaker than a political player.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 08:26:22 PM »

Right now, I don't support this bill.  Unless we can give the LtG more powers, I think we should keep the current policy.  Personally (and I'm saying, personally), if I could pick an LtG and designate duties to them, it wouldn't be much more than tallying Assembly votes for me... and I say that just because I'm really bad at math. Tongue  But, even then, it would be a role that's seldom needed.

And keep in mind that in the last election, we couldn't even get five people to declare for five Assembly seats.  I don't know anyone who aspires to hold this single position.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 08:54:40 PM »

There is the issue of the Lieutenant governor not being the same person as Speaker. If someone is interested to be Speaker he needs to ask not to get too many first preferences in the election, which is bizarre. I would like people to run for the job they desire. 
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 07:18:07 AM »

Doesn't the Improving the Chain of Command amendment stop Spenstargate happening again?

If so, why do we need a separate, hard to fill office?
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 12:23:02 PM »

For the record I will vote nay on this bill.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 12:47:44 PM »

Well, I'm no longer a Representative, but as an author I'm withdrawing.

Still, I think Lt. Governor should not be selected by a random preference number. I recommend making the Assembly choosing one Representative as LG instead.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 01:11:23 PM »

Well, I'm no longer a Representative, but as an author I'm withdrawing.

Still, I think Lt. Governor should not be selected by a random preference number. I recommend making the Assembly choosing one Representative as LG instead.

I like that idea.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies