The 2024 Olympics will be held in...Tulsa, Oklahoma?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:17:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The 2024 Olympics will be held in...Tulsa, Oklahoma?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The 2024 Olympics will be held in...Tulsa, Oklahoma?  (Read 1889 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 01:05:46 AM »

Tulsa is the 54th largest metro area in the country.  The Summer Olympics are under no circumstances going to be in the 54th largest metro area in a particular country. 

What are foreign equivalents:

Canada: Norfolk County, ON. It's along the Erie Lake and nobody ever heard about it.
UK: Blackburn and Darwen, in Lancashire.
France: Montbéliard, in Franche-Comté.

Blackburn's pretty well known, at least.  You've got the Rovers, and four thousand holes.

Yes, but I wouldn't have the idea of holding Olympic Games there. Oh, Blackburn and Montbéliard are both dying industrial areas, too. Norfolk County seems to be rural turning into exurban.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 01:09:13 AM »

With Rio hosting 2016, it's doubtful the Summer Olympics return to the Americas before 2028. Tokyo has 2020 all but locked up. Paris is the front runner for the 2024 games and if they don't get it, it'll still be in Europe or Africa unless things get screwy. The only reason to consider a 2024 bid is as practice for a 2028 bid.  Now, the US candidate city in 2028 is likely to be the frontrunner, but unless Tulsa gets the nod as candidate city in 2024 in has no chance of getting the nod in 2028,and even with the 2024 nod, its 2028 prospects are dim.

Tulsa as the US candidate city in 2024 is not an impossibility. A bid from an ordinary metropolitan American city has no chance of winning.  However, because of its links to Native American peoples Oklahoma has the ability to put together a bid with a high degree of the cultural schmaltz that the IOC loves. So despite not being even close to being the US city best able to put on an Olympic games, it might well be the US city best able to attract the 2024 games.  It still has almost no chance of doing so, but that's higher than any other US city in 2024.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2013, 01:21:53 AM »

I think we'll see winter olympics in the U.S. again before summer olympics.

But where? No city seems interested and Denver is a big NO given than they won the bid for 1976, but had to gave up because people voted against the bond to finance them.

Anyways, USOC already stated they won't submit a bit for 2022 Winter, focusing on 2024 Summer and 2026 Winter. I know Salt Lake City is interested for 2026, as is Quebec City.

For 2020 Summer, the city will be chosen in september, between Madrid, Tokyo and Istanbul. I would say than Tokyo is the heavy favorite. Baku and Doha were excluded after the pre-selection.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2013, 02:18:11 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2013, 12:07:38 PM by Irish Racism, the Poster »

I'd also assume Tulsa is the more "southern" of the two major cities in Oklahoma.  I'm sure Bushie or Mecha can corroborate this.  

I won't say much about this, except LOL

If anything, Tulsa is a Poor Man's St. Louis.  We're even trying to live up to their crime rates!
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 02:29:27 AM »

Thank you, Snowguy!  That's probably the nicest thing anyone has ever said about Oklahoma City on this forum.  We are proud of our city, but we're generally not haughty about it.  All of it is true, as well!

You can be as proud as you like, but to think that your infrastructure is world class.... yeah. Delusional.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2013, 02:51:04 PM »

I disapprove of any bone that would be thrown to frickin Oklahoma.  You embarrass us with ridiculous crap like this...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/18/dennis-johnson_n_3110754.html

...and the world community is supposed to give you the Olympics?  I can think of several thousand places more deserving of such an event. 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2013, 03:16:18 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2013, 03:19:59 PM by 31: A New Bushie »

To be fair, HockeyDude, Okies don't much like Jersey or many northeastern states because they're too liberal.  Same goes with the west coast.  To us, both coasts are the "left coast" due to the liberalism of the northeastern coast, and pretty much the entire west coast.

The state that gave the country Ted Kennedy and John Kerry is probably at the bottom of the list for Okies.  It's the same way that Oklahoma is the state that gives the country Jim Inhofe and Sally Kern that turns a lot of other states off.  I'm the very rare exception to the rule in that I actually liked Ted Kennedy and approved of John Kerry in the Senate and now Secy of State.  I am in the rare minority in Oklahoma that voted for John Kerry in 2004 as that was the first year Oklahoma went unanimous for the Republican Candidate.  Even Gore managed to win a few counties, though not as many as Clinton did in 1996.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2013, 03:22:49 PM »

To be fair, HockeyDude, Okies don't much like Jersey or many northeastern states because they're too liberal.  Same goes with the west coast.  To us, both coasts are the "left coast" due to the liberalism of the northeastern coast, and pretty much the entire west coast.

The state that gave the country Ted Kennedy and John Kerry is probably at the bottom of the list for Okies.  It's the same way that Oklahoma is the state that gives the country Jim Inhofe and Sally Kern that turns a lot of other states off.  I'm the very rare exception to the rule in that I actually liked Ted Kennedy and approved of John Kerry in the Senate and now Secy of State.  I am in the rare minority in Oklahoma that voted for John Kerry in 2004 as that was the first year Oklahoma went unanimous for the Republican Candidate.  Even Gore managed to win a few counties, though not as many as Clinton did in 1996.

How is this relevant to HockeyDude's post? "Okies" don't like liberal states so their state reps say "jew me down"? What.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2013, 04:09:50 PM »

The state that gave the country Ted Kennedy and John Kerry is probably at the bottom of the list for Okies.  It's the same way that Oklahoma is the state that gives the country Jim Inhofe and Sally Kern that turns a lot of other states off.  I'm the very rare exception to the rule in that I actually liked Ted Kennedy and approved of John Kerry in the Senate and now Secy of State.  I am in the rare minority in Oklahoma that voted for John Kerry in 2004 as that was the first year Oklahoma went unanimous for the Republican Candidate.  Even Gore managed to win a few counties, though not as many as Clinton did in 1996.

Impressive as your home state electoral history knowledge is... this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to ridiculous statements being made by Oklahomans in the last few years. 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2013, 04:58:13 PM »

To be fair, HockeyDude, Okies don't much like Jersey or many northeastern states because they're too liberal.  Same goes with the west coast.  To us, both coasts are the "left coast" due to the liberalism of the northeastern coast, and pretty much the entire west coast.

Impressive as your home state electoral history knowledge is... this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to ridiculous statements being made by Oklahomans in the last few years. 

Just as many ridiculous statements have come from the left side of the spectrum, too.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2013, 05:00:58 PM »

Citius, Altius, Jesus
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2013, 05:25:21 PM »

Bushie I doubt a majority of oklahomans could even locate mass on a map.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2013, 07:47:21 PM »

To be fair, HockeyDude, Okies don't much like Jersey or many northeastern states because they're too liberal.  Same goes with the west coast.  To us, both coasts are the "left coast" due to the liberalism of the northeastern coast, and pretty much the entire west coast.

Bushie I doubt a majority of oklahomans could even locate mass on a map.

We're smarter than most people give us credit for.  We have some of the best universities in Oklahoma that aren't elite Ivy league.  You don't need an Ivy league education to be smart.  The University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma State University or even any of the DII schools are sufficient for education.  I just happened to pick a fad degree and that was my problem.  It wasn't the school, it was the degree field I picked (e-commerce) was more of a fad.  What I kick myself for is at one time I switched my degree to Accounting, but switched back.  I should have stayed with Accounting and I probably would have been much better off either making or on my way to making high 5 figures.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2013, 07:59:34 PM »

Just as many ridiculous statements have come from the left side of the spectrum, too.

We're not talking about "jewing people down" in our political discourse.  And who even made this a battle of Oklahomans vs. Northeastern liberals?  This person is the rule, and not the exception, it seems whenever you hear about Oklahoma in the media anymore.  Am I allowed to deduce any negatives or must everything be taken as the exception? 

No, sir... I'm not going to occupy that lollipops and candy fantasy land.  A society can be judged by it's representatives, and Oklahoma has been providing us with awful ones for some time now.  Now... that it's not a indictment of everybody in the state... but it certainly goes to the extent where I don't want to be GIVING THE FRIGGIN' OLYMPICS TO TULSA!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2013, 01:04:17 AM »

We're not talking about "jewing people down" in our political discourse.  And who even made this a battle of Oklahomans vs. Northeastern liberals?  This person is the rule, and not the exception, it seems whenever you hear about Oklahoma in the media anymore.  Am I allowed to deduce any negatives or must everything be taken as the exception? 

No, sir... I'm not going to occupy that lollipops and candy fantasy land.  A society can be judged by it's representatives, and Oklahoma has been providing us with awful ones for some time now.  Now... that it's not a indictment of everybody in the state... but it certainly goes to the extent where I don't want to be GIVING THE FRIGGIN' OLYMPICS TO TULSA!

I must admit, I lol'd at the "jewing people down" quote.  I must credit them for being original at least.

And like I said earlier, I'm not sure many people in Tulsa would actually be thrilled about the Olympics being a possibility in their city.  Most everyone I know already hates driving through construction zones on their way to work everyday.  Imagine how hellish it would be with the Olympics.
Really, I don't view this as something to be "given".  If anything, it would be more of a punishment.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies