Adjusting States for Elasticity
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:52:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Adjusting States for Elasticity
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Adjusting States for Elasticity  (Read 2967 times)
HoosierPoliticalJunkie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 29, 2013, 06:20:23 PM »
« edited: April 29, 2013, 06:23:17 PM by HoosierPoliticalJunkie »

I thought, when we're discussing non-uniform swings, about how to adjust for elasticity.  So, using Silver's data about the elasticity of each state, I changed each of Obama's 2012 margins for each state and adjusted them for elasticity.
State   Elasticity of State   Obama margin   Obama Margin, Adjusted for Elasticity

Interestingly, a 10-point uniform swing would only net the Dems 4 states.  Adjusting for elasticity also shows that potential "swing states" like Mississippi are harder than they first appear to grab.
JRP1994

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 08:56:42 AM »

Bump.

This is really a fantastic resource.
danny
Israel

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 07:05:40 PM »

Right click on the picture.
Click on "open image in new tab".
Problem solved.
danny
Israel

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 10:20:29 PM »

Right click on the picture.
Click on "open image in new tab".
Problem solved.

This doesn't work for me for some reason... Sad

Then try this link
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 11:37:59 PM »

HPJ's Photobucket account name....WTF?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 12:24:52 PM »

Is there a link to the methodology used to determine the elasticity for each state?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 04:10:27 AM »

Is there a link to the methodology used to determine the elasticity for each state?

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/21/swing-voters-and-elastic-states/

muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 11:37:00 AM »

Thanks, but now the spreadsheet in the OP doesn't make much sense. The whole idea of the elasticity was to determine how much the state would shift when the national average shifted. The spreadsheet applied the elasticity directly to the margin which is not how it's designed to be used.

For example, Utah has a -48.04% margin in the first row of the spreadsheet. I'm not quite sure where that's from since the Obama-Romney margin was -47.88% according to Atlas, but I'll take it as the 2012 margin as described in the post. If I then consider a 10 point swing to the democrats, one might expect the elasticity of 1.01 to generate a +10.1% change in the margin, but instead the spreadsheet just divided 48.04 by 1.01 which doesn't really mean anything.

Also, as I read Silver's article I see that he also recognizes that the elasticity would be greatest for a 50-50 state. A straight swing would be the dashed line in his graph above, but the real swing would be better modeled by the red curve. The actual shift described in my example above would be less than 10.1%. A proper model would be to look at the difference in the red curve from the black line compared to their difference at 50% and use the mirror image curve for a negative shock.

A simple way to approximate this with a spreadsheet is to create an elasticity weight equal to the difference between the margin and 100%. For UT the weight would be 51.96%. The find the expected shift, multiply the national shift by the elasticity and the weight. Thus a 10% national shift for the Dems would reduce the margin in UT from -48.04% to -42.79%.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies