NC-12: Obama to name Mel Watt as Fannie-Freddie regulator
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:32:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NC-12: Obama to name Mel Watt as Fannie-Freddie regulator
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: NC-12: Obama to name Mel Watt as Fannie-Freddie regulator  (Read 7157 times)
JacobNC
psychicpanda
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2013, 09:15:52 PM »

Miles, as a Charlottean, who are you supporting?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 11:03:48 PM »

I like Alma Adams, but someone younger would probably have more potential. I guess I'm too partial to anyone at this point.
JacobNC
psychicpanda
Rookie
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2013, 11:14:42 PM »

Oh, dang, I should read more of the comments Tongue

I like George Battle's website and campaign video.  But I like the rest of the candidates, too.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, 07:48:07 AM »
« Edited: December 11, 2013, 08:21:30 AM by MilesC56 »

Ugh, and I need to proofread my comments more! Smiley
I like Alma Adams, but someone younger would probably have more potential. I guess I'm not too partial to anyone at this point.

I like that both Graham and Adams have been very vocal against the voter ID law. Mitchell ran a decent campaign for mayor though, despite being the underdog to whole time. At this point, I really don't have any strong feelings. I guess we'll have to see how they run their campaigns!

Mecklenburg County will at least be competitive. Graham's state Senate district is based around east Charlotte. The city council seat that Mitchell has held since 1999 is based in the west, though Cannon would have carried it in the D primary for mayor. 'Kinda sucks for Mitchell that his best precincts from the primary are in NC-09.
JacobNC
psychicpanda
Rookie
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2013, 01:43:35 PM »

Obviously it's good for George Battle that he has outraised Graham, but is he a serious contender? Well-known, well-liked in the Charlotte area?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2013, 07:55:09 AM »

This is gonna be fun:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 07:54:52 AM »

Alma Adams gets a boost with an EMILY's List endorsement. She's the only woman in this crowded field, so this could help her stand out.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2013, 04:44:14 AM »

My grandmother's name was Alma.

Endorsed.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2013, 10:38:37 AM »

I'm with Smuggie.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2013, 01:39:30 PM »

I'm for George Battle, because come on, who doesn't want a Congressman Battle?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2013, 11:54:44 AM »

Watt is officially resigning and taking his FHFA post on January 6th.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2013, 01:07:42 AM »

Governing magazine has named Marcus Brandon as one of its 12 state legislators to watch in 2014. Other names on the list that we talk a lot about on this board are Elbert Guillory and Jason Carter.

This is Brandon's blurb:

Well, I said I was undecided before. 'Cross Brandon off my list. That education bill he helped the Republicans pass expanded vouchers and ended teacher tenure. Unacceptable.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2013, 03:43:08 AM »

Oh man, vouchers and ending teacher tenure? That's toxic even where I live. Yeah, I think I'll stick with Battle. Or whoever you end up endorsing, Miles.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2013, 09:06:26 AM »

Yeah, no Brandon for me either. Sigh.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2013, 09:52:09 AM »

God forbid anything be done to fix education long term, but of course education is just fine aside from the cuts passed by Republicans. Tongue

Things were perfect until 2011, Those cuts by the Democrats during the recession, the stratification and less focus on non-college bound students and piss poor teachers getting retained while newer, better ones were let go, must have been figments of my imagination and not witnessed by my own eyes. Oh wait...
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2013, 12:21:53 PM »

God forbid anything be done to fix education long term, but of course education is just fine aside from the cuts passed by Republicans. Tongue

Things were perfect until 2011, Those cuts by the Democrats during the recession, the stratification and less focus on non-college bound students and piss poor teachers getting retained while newer, better ones were let go, must have been figments of my imagination and not witnessed by my own eyes. Oh wait...

Well sure, but ending tenure and gutting public school funding in favor of charter schools (which aren't that better than public schools in the first place), isn't the answer.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2013, 12:29:27 PM »

Well sure, but ending tenure and gutting public school funding in favor of charter schools (which aren't that better than public schools in the first place), isn't the answer.

Something has to be done with Tenure. I don't have a problem wtih charter schools, really, provided they are well regulated.

What is the answer in your view?
JacobNC
psychicpanda
Rookie
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2013, 07:51:20 PM »

This is Brandon's blurb:

Lol.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2013, 03:54:19 PM »

Maybe at the state level, definitely not at the federal and presidential level.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2014, 08:55:58 AM »

Well, there won't really a be a special election, per se; the primary and general for this race will take place the same dates as the rest of the Congressional races. On the November ballot, voters will both pick a candidate to fill out Watt's term and then for the 2015-2017 term.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2014, 10:45:46 PM »

It sucks that the people of NC-12 will have no representation for most of this year, but the other options seem to be either costly or sketchy.

If no one requests a runoff, the general could possibly be moved up, but given the number of candidates in the D primary, thats unlikely.

If this vacancy occurred within 10 days of the end of the filing period (February 28) then party committees would chose nominees for the general election. This was the case with Butterfield back in 2004. While his special election lasted just 6 weeks, the process is obviously less democratic.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2014, 10:54:45 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2014, 10:58:39 PM by ElectionsGuy »

Well, there won't really a be a special election, per se; the primary and general for this race will take place the same dates as the rest of the Congressional races. On the November ballot, voters will both pick a candidate to fill out Watt's term and then for the 2015-2017 term.

So the one special election candidate will literally be there for less than two months, if I'm getting this right? (Depending on when that one gets sworn in)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2014, 10:59:20 PM »

So the one special election candidate will literally be there for less than two months, if I'm getting this right?

Yeah. Its similar to the MI-11 situation in 2012 where David Curson won the special election for the last 2 months of McCotter's term but Bentivolio won the regular race.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2014, 11:02:57 PM »

So the one special election candidate will literally be there for less than two months, if I'm getting this right?

Yeah. Its similar to the MI-11 situation in 2012 where David Curson won the special election for the last 2 months of McCotter's term but Bentivolio won the regular race.

OK. Its funny to think that if the Michigan special was the real race, democrats would have one more seat.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2014, 11:08:40 PM »

OK. Its funny to think that if the Michigan special was the real race, democrats would have one more seat.

Yeah.

Thankfully, that shouldn't be an issue here!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies