Virginia Governor's Race 2013 -Who's Gonna Win?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:24:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Governor's Race 2013 -Who's Gonna Win?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19
Poll
Question: Who do you think is most likely to win this November?
Terry McAuliffe (D)

Ken Cuccinelli (R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 168

Author Topic: Virginia Governor's Race 2013 -Who's Gonna Win?  (Read 66937 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2013, 06:53:43 PM »

With just 31% in both D races are close:

LG:
Northam- 53%
Chopra- 47%

AG:
Herring- 52%
Fairfax- 48%
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2013, 07:03:24 PM »

After a big vote dump, 58% is in:

LG:
Northam- 52%
Chopra- 48%

AG:
Herring- 53%
Fairfax- 47%

Almost all of Fairfax County is still out, which should help Chopra.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2013, 08:09:08 PM »

Chopra has conceded Sad
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2013, 09:24:16 PM »

This and Rosalyn Dance staying alive makes me disappointed in VA Primary voters, but whatever.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2013, 09:53:14 PM »

These results are disconcerting, I was sure Chopra would win. But I forget that racism still exists in Virginia. And Chopra sounds more foreign than Obama. And even worse, didn't Northam try to give control of the Senate to the Republcians? Who voted for him?
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2013, 10:01:30 PM »

Yet another reason I feel horrible for the Democrats here. They now have to choose between an insufferably uncharismatic moderate hero and a literal DINO vs. two right-wing nutjobs.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2013, 12:38:06 AM »

But I forget that racism still exists in Virginia.

Roll Eyes  Northam was endorsed by the Washington Post, and had a strong base outside of NOVA.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2013, 12:42:25 AM »

These results are disconcerting, I was sure Chopra would win. But I forget that racism still exists in Virginia. And Chopra sounds more foreign than Obama. And even worse, didn't Northam try to give control of the Senate to the Republcians? Who voted for him?

Northam won Fairfax county 54-46, and won NoVA overall.  Totally crushed Aneesh in Norfolk.  Aneesh won metro Richmond including Chesterfield, but even Richmond was 58-42.

Doesn't really look like race played a particular role in the vote.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2013, 10:39:55 AM »

So at this point is it fair to say that the Democratic candidates have the upper hand in all three races?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2013, 10:46:55 AM »

"Northam, a pediatric neurologist, has spent six years in the Senate, and he won primary endorsements from key Democratic interest groups, including Planned Parenthood and the Virginia Education Association." from the Washington Post
I don't think he's a DINO.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2013, 11:10:23 AM »

"Northam, a pediatric neurologist, has spent six years in the Senate, and he won primary endorsements from key Democratic interest groups, including Planned Parenthood and the Virginia Education Association." from the Washington Post

If you ever become inches away from jumping to the other side, you are a DINO. I'm not being your average Daily Kos-worshipping true leftist bitching about how we should primary Rahall or Matheson or McIntyre for not being liberal enough: if Virginia's Senate Democrats didn't see the plans on Twitter, their lieutenant gubernatorial candidate would be a Republican right now. Quite literally, Northam is a Democrat in Name Only, and should have been rewarded with losing his job in 2010, and certainly not with a f***ing promotion.

If you don't think Northam's a DINO, then please tell me what classifies one in your mind, because I'm dying to know.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2013, 02:14:23 PM »

Northam has a geographic base here in Norfolk as a state senator and a pediatrician at CHKD.  No one knows what Chopra's about except that he has connections with the state and national party establishment. 

I honestly can't see Northam as part of the Virginia GOP.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2013, 04:58:28 PM »

So at this point is it fair to say that the Democratic candidates have the upper hand in all three races?
Only in the Lt. Governors race.  Governor will be a toss-up until election day, and Attorney General is a toss-up now, but should lean D as the fireworks from the other races spill over.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2013, 12:14:19 AM »

I really hope Cuccinelli doesn't win.  He legitimately scares me.  I also see his ads on tv all the time (NOVA) and he strikes me as laughably fake.  You can tell he's a pretty awful person but puts on this sweet innocent face in all his commercials, it's kind of sickening.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2013, 12:33:57 AM »

Only in the Lt. Governors race.  Governor will be a toss-up until election day, and Attorney General is a toss-up now, but should lean D as the fireworks from the other races spill over.

I would say:

Gov- Tilt D
LG- Likely D
AG- Tilt D

With AG being the best opportunity for an R hold
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2013, 03:18:31 AM »

I really hope Cuccinelli doesn't win.  He legitimately scares me.  I also see his ads on tv all the time (NOVA) and he strikes me as laughably fake.  You can tell he's a pretty awful person but puts on this sweet innocent face in all his commercials, it's kind of sickening.

Coming from a Democrat he seems like genuinely nice personally, but then again being nice doesn't get you elected. His political views are as vile as it gets, though.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2013, 05:47:46 AM »

If you ever become inches away from jumping to the other side, you are a DINO. I'm not being your average Daily Kos-worshipping true leftist bitching about how we should primary Rahall or Matheson or McIntyre for not being liberal enough: if Virginia's Senate Democrats didn't see the plans on Twitter, their lieutenant gubernatorial candidate would be a Republican right now. Quite literally, Northam is a Democrat in Name Only, and should have been rewarded with losing his job in 2010, and certainly not with a f***ing promotion.

If you don't think Northam's a DINO, then please tell me what classifies one in your mind, because I'm dying to know.

Oh my god, yes, Aneesh Chopra would have been a better candidate,...

Honestly, cuccinelli literally scares me, he can win...
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2013, 12:55:41 PM »

Jackson's hit of the week: government progams have been more detrimental to blacks than slavery.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2013, 12:56:39 PM »

So, we will win the Lieutenant Governor race? Tongue
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2013, 01:55:38 PM »

Is it too late for the Democrats to replace McAuliffe with, you know, a Democrat?

McAuliffe supports far-right "right-to-work" laws.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2013, 05:17:16 PM »

Republicans are doing great at this whole rebranding thing.

Ken Cuccinelli Appeals To Defend Virginia's Anti-Sodomy Law At Supreme Court

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/25/ken-cuccinelli-sodomy-supreme-court_n_3498444.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003
JRP1994

« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2013, 05:54:36 PM »

Ken Cuccinelli = Rick Santorum with a brain.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2013, 06:32:04 PM »

Is it too late for the Democrats to replace McAuliffe with, you know, a Democrat?

McAuliffe supports far-right "right-to-work" laws.

My god... Workers will have to wait...
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2013, 01:43:24 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/25/ken-cuccinelli-sodomy-supreme-court_n_3498444.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

I just read about this somewhere else. He said that it should stand because it allowed them to prosecute a 47-year-old for having sex with a 17-year old.

My immediate reaction was "Why can't you just prosecute him under age of consent laws???"
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2013, 09:44:26 PM »

I just read about this somewhere else. He said that it should stand because it allowed them to prosecute a 47-year-old for having sex with a 17-year old.

My immediate reaction was "Why can't you just prosecute him under age of consent laws???"

Likely because the sodomy law was a felony (I think)... whereas the age of consent law in that case would only be a misdemeanor:

Virginia

The age of consent in Virginia is 18, with a close in age exception that allows teenagers aged 15 to 17 to engage in sexual acts but only with a partner younger than 18.

Section § 18.2-63 of the Code refers to minors younger than 15, while § 18.2-371 is about 15-, 16- and 17-year-olds.

Section 18.2-63 states in part:
"If any person carnally knows, without the use of force, a child thirteen years of age or older but under fifteen years of age, such person shall be guilty of ... felony ... For the purposes of this section, (i) a child under the age of thirteen years shall not be considered a consenting child and (ii) "carnal knowledge" includes the acts of sexual intercourse, cunnilingus, fellatio, analingus, anal intercourse, and animate and inanimate object sexual penetration."
Consensual sex where one partner is 15, 16 or 17 and the other is over 18 is a class 1 misdemeanor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_North_America#Virginia

The guy is clearly a sleazebag though.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies