Saudi Arabia warned US about bomber in writing, by name.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:40:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Saudi Arabia warned US about bomber in writing, by name.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Saudi Arabia warned US about bomber in writing, by name.  (Read 1581 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 01, 2013, 08:48:50 AM »

If true, not good at all for the Feds
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 09:12:23 AM »

So did Tamarlan actually get some training on the bombs when he was in Russia or not?  And if so, who did he get it from?  Seems like he had to have had some contact with *someone* besides his brother over all of this.  Otherwise, how did he ever get on the radar of either the Russians or the Saudis in the first place?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 09:21:34 AM »

Good thing Obama has already been re-elected.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 09:31:46 AM »

Good thing Obama has already been re-elected.

The Romney campaign would still have screwed it up.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 09:59:14 AM »

"Saudi foreign minister, national security chief both met with Obama in the Oval Office in early 2013."

Ouch.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 10:01:39 AM »

If the story is accurate, it looks like Obama screwed up massively here. Akin to "Bin Laden determined to strike the US", only with (thankfully) far fewer casualties.

Still, as awful as this was, it's still not a reason to prefer the Republican alternative to the Obama government, so I think we can all be grateful that this happened after his re-election...
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 10:17:05 AM »

"Saudi foreign minister, national security chief both met with Obama in the Oval Office in early 2013."

Ouch.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything without knowing if this subject was brought up at the meeting. But yeah, somewhere a screw-up clearly occurred.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 11:08:55 AM »

Ouch.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything without knowing if this subject was brought up at the meeting. But yeah, somewhere a screw-up clearly occurred.

Yeah, the odds that they said to him "there's this guy in Cambridge..." and nothing happened are nil, but we do have to learn more about what someone in the administration knew and who dropped the ball. Random radicalized guy on watch lists != Bin Laden, but still to be tracked.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 11:42:18 AM »

Ouch.

Not suggesting that the bomber was the subject of the meeting but in a wide range discussion, something like this could very well have been discussed.

What raises more flags in my opinion is the fact that the White House and Homeland Security are saying they never received such a letter. So is this just a total fabrication by the Saudis? If not, who did the letter go to?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 11:53:44 AM »

If anything, USA government perhaps just said no to something and Saudis decided to throw havoc to get vengeance.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 11:59:36 AM »

If you go to the link now, the story has been updated to say that the Saudi embassy in DC is denying a warning was ever sent.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 12:25:59 PM »

The story is being denied now, but still, how would Saudi Arabia even know anything about Tsarnaev to begin with??
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 12:28:10 PM »

So now it's "Thanks for not warning us," I guess.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 01:22:19 PM »

If the story is accurate, it looks like Obama screwed up massively here. Akin to "Bin Laden determined to strike the US", only with (thankfully) far fewer casualties.

Still, as awful as this was, it's still not a reason to prefer the Republican alternative to the Obama government, so I think we can all be grateful that this happened after his re-election...

Thus why you support third parties.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 01:26:44 PM »

Thus why you support third parties.

Unfortunately, with America's voting system the way it is, that leads to your opponent winning with a plurality.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 01:49:06 PM »

If you don't agree with how Obama handles things, then he is your opponent, too.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 01:51:16 PM »

If you don't agree with how Obama handles things, then he is your opponent, too.

Sure, but you're only way of beating him (rather than helping him) was to vote for Romney.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 02:16:58 PM »

The story is being denied now, but still, how would Saudi Arabia even know anything about Tsarnaev to begin with??

Because Monkeychelle N0bama met with a Saudi at the hospital instead of with real white victims.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 02:20:36 PM »

Sure, but you're only way of beating him (rather than helping him) was to vote for Romney.

Well, naturally (as you would know) my argument would be that if everyone did not have that mentality, we would not have Obama and Romney as the only two options.

I did not vote for either, but I did vote.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 02:22:47 PM »

Well, naturally (as you would know) my argument would be that if everyone did not have that mentality, we would not have Obama and Romney as the only two options.

I did not vote for either, but I did vote.

You're right, but unfortunately, theory and practice are worlds apart.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 06:13:23 PM »

I don't know.  How did Russia know there was something suspicious about him, such that they warned the FBI?  Are they spying on the internet viewing habits of every single expatriot of the Caucasus?  That's the part that I still don't get.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 06:14:50 PM »

welcome to the Boston bombing foreknowledge debate.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 08:55:03 PM »

I don't know.  How did Russia know there was something suspicious about him, such that they warned the FBI?  Are they spying on the internet viewing habits of every single expatriot of the Caucasus?  That's the part that I still don't get.

Because they lived in Russia, and travelled to Russia, and the parents moved back to Russia.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 08:57:46 PM »

Because they lived in Russia, and travelled to Russia, and the parents moved back to Russia.

So the Russian security services read the email of everyone who emigrates from that region or what?  What did he do to get on their radar, such that they realized there was a problem, enough to warn the FBI about him?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 09:03:50 PM »

So the Russian security services read the email of everyone who emigrates from that region or what?  What did he do to get on their radar, such that they realized there was a problem, enough to warn the FBI about him?

Well, it was an international phone call they wiretapped.

And I bet Russia profiles its people, and tries to keep tabs on any Muslims, especially people in the Chechnya/Dagestan region.

Not saying it's right, just saying it's Russia. You kind of expect it of them. So of course it makes sense for Russia to have info on the Tsarnaev brothers. I think their father used to get in confrontations with the KGB in Soviet times too.

But there's absolutely no reason for Saudi Arabia to know anything in the first place, unless they were in contact with people the Saudi's were keeping an eye on.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies