Gay vs. Christian - Jason Collins vs. Tim Tebow
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:25:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay vs. Christian - Jason Collins vs. Tim Tebow
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Gay vs. Christian - Jason Collins vs. Tim Tebow  (Read 26883 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 01, 2013, 10:54:49 AM »

Tim Tebow is a Christian, but nobody wants to talk seriously about his Christianity and wants him to keep it to himself, but people are hailing Jason Collins a hero for coming out as gay?  In fact, the media more often than not makes fun of Tebow for his Christianity, but when Chris Boussard on ESPN does not endorse Jason Collins sexuality, ESPN immediately issues an apology and reprimands Boussard. 

Is the standard now to make fun of Christians, but don't you dare say anything against homosexuality?

Why is this country starting to become more tolerant of homosexual relations than Christianity?

How is this okay?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 10:57:12 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2013, 10:59:46 AM by Holmes »

Are you joking? Tim Tebow's religion is a big subject every time he comes up. Plus this is the first time a pro athlete who's still playing comes out, whereas there have been countless religious pro athletes in the past. It seems like you're trying to find controversy where there is none and act like a victim for no reason. Close this thread before people bitch you out.

Oh, and if you want, I can show you all the tweets, story comments, "family" group press releases and media interviews bashing Jason Collins and homosexuality in general?
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 10:57:49 AM »

Are you joking? Tim Tebow's religion is a big subject every time he comes up. Plus this is the first time a pro athlete who's still playing comes out, whereas there have been countless religious pro athletes in the past. It seems like you're trying to find controversy where there is none and act like a victim for no reason. Close this thread before people bitch you out.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 10:58:23 AM »

Just because someone comes out as gay, does not mean everyone should applaud or endorse such.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 11:00:47 AM »

You have no idea what being gay is like. Especially in a heteronormative world like pro sports. Again, please close this thread or it won't end well for you.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 11:06:27 AM »

Bushie, I don't get it.  90% of interviews with athletes, especially football players include them thanking God........what's the problem here?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 11:06:58 AM »

True, the media has always talked about Tebow's Christianity, but I have never seen the media applaud him for it.  They would rather make fun of it or make light of it.

Now, personally, I applaud Jason Collins for breaking through the prism, but I just don't think those who don't agree with his decision should be silenced or reprimanded, even those on national TV.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 11:08:32 AM »

The debate itself is laughable, but Jason Collins would have to swallow a penis whole on national television to equal the same amount of obtrusiveness that comes from Tebow and his religion.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 11:10:12 AM »

Just because someone comes out as gay, does not mean everyone should applaud or endorse such.

It's worthy of praise because he's in a relatively small minority that has been strongly discriminated against (and in some ways, continues to be).

Christians, however, are a large majority and it doesn't take much courage to declare that you belong to it.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 11:11:02 AM »

I just don't think those who don't agree with his decision should be silenced or reprimanded, even those on national TV.

Link us to where this happened in a respectful disagreeing way where there were repercussions?  Mike Wallace is a finksing asshole.  

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 11:16:50 AM »

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-espn-chris-broussard-sparks-uproar-after-jason-collins-remarks-20130429,0,1157118.story

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-chris-broussard-jason-collins-20130430,0,4496676.story

These two links are the same story and I did not realize Mr. Broussard clarified his remarks, but when ESPN says it was a respectful discussion of viewpoints, that seems like code for "the only viewpoint acceptable is applaud and endorsement of homosexual relations."
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 11:20:54 AM »

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-espn-chris-broussard-sparks-uproar-after-jason-collins-remarks-20130429,0,1157118.story

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-chris-broussard-jason-collins-20130430,0,4496676.story

These two links are the same story and I did not realize Mr. Broussard clarified his remarks, but when ESPN says it was a respectful discussion of viewpoints, that seems like code for "the only viewpoint acceptable is applaud and endorsement of homosexual relations."

Which is akin to "discussing viewpoints" on whether someone should be black. Or a woman. Not sure what you want to discuss, applaud or endorse about that.

Any recognition is related to the courage it takes to come out as a member of a minority in an environment that discriminates against them.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 11:21:41 AM »

There isn't enough out there for me to accept your premise.  Others may feel differently.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 11:39:01 AM »

The reason Tim Tebow is getting blackballed is because he is loved not because he is hated.

The guy is a project who needs to work on his fundamentals and compete for playing time, but his fanbase makes excuses for him saying he doesn't need to change his throwing style and that he should start because he just wins.

No coach wants that kind of crap on their team.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 11:42:23 AM »

The reason Tim Tebow is getting blackballed is because he is loved not because he is hated.

The guy is a project who needs to work on his fundamentals and compete for playing time, but his fanbase makes excuses for him saying he doesn't need to change his throwing style and that he should start because he just wins.

No coach wants that kind of crap on their team.

I totally agree with that.  No person, regardless of their religious or sexual affiliation, is exempt from working at their job.  Tim Tebow needs to work on his football skills, mainly throwing and Jason Collins needs to work on his game.  Nobody in their right mind would disagree.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 11:43:22 AM »

The main point I'm trying to get across is that if the media is to be neutral on Christianity, not for or against, it should be neutral on homosexuality, neither for nor against.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 11:43:58 AM »

The main point I'm trying to get across is that if the media is to be neutral on Christianity, not for or against, it should be neutral on homosexuality, neither for nor against.

I repeat:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 11:48:04 AM »

People can believe whatever they want about homosexuality or religion.  It's a free country.  But, as a society, we don't have to accept or respect hateful, ignorant beliefs.  The idea that being gay is morally wrong is a stupid, bigoted belief.  People are free to express that belief, but they don't have a right to force everyone to respect homophobia. 

And please, don't complain about being persecuted as a White Christian man in America.  That's just ridiculous.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 11:49:25 AM »

Following this logic, the media should be neutral on both civil rights issues and the KKK. Wouldn't want to be unfair to either group.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 11:51:05 AM »

Following this logic, the media should be neutral on both civil rights issues and the KKK. Wouldn't want to be unfair to either group.

At least allow dissenting view points without being forced to apologize.

America was designed with freedom of speech and that should be enforced and appreciated even when it comes to controversial topics like religion, politics, or sexual orientation.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 11:53:08 AM »

America was designed with freedom of speech and that should be enforced and appreciated even when it comes to controversial topics like religion, politics, or sexual orientation.

You're very explicitly endorsing bigotry and discrimination against a minority group. Shame on you.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 11:55:25 AM »

See my last comment (which I have already repeated once). There aren't any "viewpoints" to discuss.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 12:04:01 PM »

You're very explicitly endorsing bigotry and discrimination against a minority group. Shame on you.

So, not applauding and embracing homosexuality is bigotry?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 12:05:20 PM »

See my last comment (which I have already repeated once). There aren't any "viewpoints" to discuss.

If this topic is ALL about courage, and has NOTHING to do with homosexuality, then I agree with you, but the media should allow dissenting view points that don't endorse, embrace, and applaud homosexuality.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 12:05:59 PM »

So, not applauding and embracing homosexuality is bigotry?

Thinking there is anything wrong with the "homosexual lifestyle" is, which is what Chris Broussard said. Anyone trying to empower Broussard's words or even defend his viewpoint is endorsing the spread of bigotry.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies