Rhode Island passed SSM an hour ago, Governor expected to sign within minutes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:22:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rhode Island passed SSM an hour ago, Governor expected to sign within minutes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Rhode Island passed SSM an hour ago, Governor expected to sign within minutes  (Read 3306 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2013, 07:22:21 AM »

Excellent News!

I suspect Delaware will be next. Illinois probably won't come until later, unfortunately. The same for Minnesota.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 07:34:39 AM »

Would my state like to step up, please?

Disgusting human filth infests your governor's mansion unfortunately.

Christie offered a referendum. Democrats didn't want it.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2013, 09:16:27 AM »

Christie offered a referendum. Democrats didn't want it.

Democrats would make gay marriage law, but Christie proposed a referendum in order to excuse his veto and derail it. As of 2012, no state had yet successfully passed SSM by referendum, so it was his way to stop it. NJ has virtually no tradition of making law by referendum, no more than Britain does. It may or may not pass in NJ, but such an effort would be much more expensive and divisive than Christie signing it into law. (Unless he opposes SSM, in which case, what's your point?)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2013, 11:34:13 AM »

There are much worse Republicans than Chris Christie... but his needless pandering to veto our last attempt was a piss poor showing of leadership on an equality issue. 

Hopefully by now he realizes he has no shot at the GOP nomination so he will do the right thing instead of pandering to the foaming at the mouth Primary crowd.

What pandering? He's offered to allow a referendum on the matter, and that's the way he'll allow it: through the people. The foaming mouth crowd is already outraged by that idea anyways so he could not possibly be pandering to their interests.

And he hasn't been pandering to that crowd EVER. Do you think he would speak so strongly for his muslim nominee to the courts if he did? The guy, while not completely honest in every way, has shown that he speaks out against wackos on his side, not moving to their side. Maybe he won't be running for President, because unlike that slithering snake skinned Rand Paul, Christie hasn't made a marked effort to compromise his ideas to them.
Benj

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 12:34:07 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2013, 12:40:10 PM by Benj »

Remaning states which have neither gay marriage nor a constitutional amendent prohibiting it:
Hawaii
Wyoming
New Mexico
Minnesota
Illinois
Indiana
West Virginia
Pennsylvania
New Jersey

Of those, I'd say Illinois and Hawaii could happen by years end through legislative efforts. New Jersey and Minnesota will probably have something by 2016. Pennsylvania & New Mexico won't get anything as long as Martinez/Corbett are in charge. Indiana and West Virginia will probably get cracking on a constitutional ban pretty soon if the SCOTUS doesn't stop them first.

And Wyoming is a mystery.

Minnesota is much further along the legislative process than Hawaii. I don't think Hawaii will manage it this year, but Minnesota probably will. Same with Illinois. New Mexico and New Jersey need new governors. Oregon will probably happen sooner than either if they have a referendum to repeal their constitutional amendment in 2014 as planned. The others on that list will probably have to wait for a court decision.

There are much worse Republicans than Chris Christie... but his needless pandering to veto our last attempt was a piss poor showing of leadership on an equality issue.  

Hopefully by now he realizes he has no shot at the GOP nomination so he will do the right thing instead of pandering to the foaming at the mouth Primary crowd.

What pandering? He's offered to allow a referendum on the matter, and that's the way he'll allow it: through the people. The foaming mouth crowd is already outraged by that idea anyways so he could not possibly be pandering to their interests.

And he hasn't been pandering to that crowd EVER. Do you think he would speak so strongly for his muslim nominee to the courts if he did? The guy, while not completely honest in every way, has shown that he speaks out against wackos on his side, not moving to their side. Maybe he won't be running for President, because unlike that slithering snake skinned Rand Paul, Christie hasn't made a marked effort to compromise his ideas to them.

He was pandering because he didn't want to have to defend signing gay marriage. And referenda are the last refuge of the foamers--who do you think forced Maryland and Washington (and Maine in 2009) to vote on the issue?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2013, 12:49:16 PM »

He was pandering because he didn't want to have to defend signing gay marriage. And referenda are the last refuge of the foamers--who do you think forced Maryland and Washington (and Maine in 2009) to vote on the issue?

Maryland? You mean the state with no Republicans? Come on man. Washington? The state with striaght Democratic Governor's since the 80s? I'll give you Maine, but that's it. Whats wrong with letting the people decide on such an issue? I think it's a better compromise than having to sign something you're honestly against.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2013, 01:01:26 PM »

Maryland? You mean the state with no Republicans? Come on man. Washington? The state with striaght Democratic Governor's since the 80s? I'll give you Maine, but that's it. Whats wrong with letting the people decide on such an issue? I think it's a better compromise than having to sign something you're honestly against.

People don't have to vote on rights. What's next, a refedenda to ask if poor people should have the right of voting?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2013, 01:16:20 PM »

People don't have to vote on rights. What's next, a refedenda to ask if poor people should have the right of voting?

I'm not saying it's right. I disagree with Christie on this. I am saying it's a fair compromise from someone who is against Gay Marriage.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2013, 02:04:07 PM »

New Jersey Dems really missed the boat with refusing to put it on the ballot last fall.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2013, 02:09:15 PM »

New Jersey Dems really missed the boat with refusing to put it on the ballot last fall.

I wish they would already.  It would pass with the biggest margin of any state that has had a vote on it, which would be a story within itself.  I would guess 61-39. 

The NJ Civil Union are marriage in all but name, basically.  Just put the damn stamp on it so we can join the club!
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2013, 02:25:28 PM »

No one expected SSM to win so widely last year. On November 1, a referendum still looked like a bad bet.

At this point they can milk this issue for fundraising for some years to come if not the ability to actually defeat Christie.
Benj

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2013, 02:28:49 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2013, 02:32:37 PM by Benj »

Didn't matter that Democrats controlled the governorship and legislatures in both states. Both states have citizen referendum provisions in their constitutions. The legislatures in both states passed gay marriage without any provision for a referendum. Conservative anti-gay advocacy groups used the citizen referendum provisions to force public votes (as happened in Maine in 2009).

Apparently you're just ill-informed and want us to know.

And, what's wrong with "letting the people decide"? Imagine how such a vote would go in Oklahoma! Or perhaps you think all civil rights should be put to a public vote. I think the 1950s and 60s would have looked quite different, and not in a good way.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2013, 02:33:09 PM »

Remaning states which have neither gay marriage nor a constitutional amendent prohibiting it:
Hawaii
Wyoming
New Mexico
Minnesota
Illinois
Indiana
West Virginia
Pennsylvania
New Jersey

Of those, I'd say Illinois and Hawaii could happen by years end through legislative efforts. New Jersey and Minnesota will probably have something by 2016. Pennsylvania & New Mexico won't get anything as long as Martinez/Corbett are in charge. Indiana and West Virginia will probably get cracking on a constitutional ban pretty soon if the SCOTUS doesn't stop them first.

And Wyoming is a mystery.

Wyoming will probably be one of the last holdouts. I suspect they'll move for a constitutional ban with Indiana and W. Virginia.
Gay Marriage almost passed out of committee in Wyoming this year.

Yeah I don't think there's legislative support for a constitutional ban in Wyoming. Even the Indiana ban seems to have fizzled.

For those states listed above, I'd say:

Hawaii - Legislature tabled bill in 2013, will probably pass in 2014
Wyoming - Maybe the legislature will pass in the late 2010s/early 2020s. The state house voted down civil unions this year.
New Mexico - State supreme court lawsuit or 2015 through the legislature if Martinez loses. There's also the potential of a ballot measure referred by the legislature to get around Martinez's veto.
Minnesota - Very possible this year. Could look like Hawaii.
Illinois - Will be surprised if the state house votes it down this year
Indiana - State Supreme Court or SCOTUS forcing it
West Virginia - Probably won't happen until SCOTUS forces it on the last remaining states
Pennsylvania - Looks like Indiana
New Jersey - The legislature could override Christie's veto if enough Republicans support it. Come on, it's the last Northeast state without it aside from Pennsylvania. Rhode Island's bill passed in the 70-80% range, easily enough to pass the 2/3 (67%) needed to override a veto.

Oh and Delaware. They seem close to Illinois' position but more likely to pass considering the regional context?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2013, 02:59:29 PM »

And, what's wrong with "letting the people decide"? Imagine how such a vote would go in Oklahoma! Or perhaps you think all civil rights should be put to a public vote. I think the 1950s and 60s would have looked quite different, and not in a good way.

Stop insinuating what I think. I think Christie is wrong on it but I think it's a fair compromise when the guy is against it period. It's not pandering to the foaming mouthers if its HIS position and he's giving you an out.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2013, 03:15:17 PM »

Late to the show Rhode Island, though still good news regardless.

Last in New England, but still ahead of much of the US.  Rhode Island is probably among the most pro-SSM states as far as public opinion goes; maybe even more than Maine or New Hampshire.  It's just that the Senate has been controlled by some silly Democrats such as Weed.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2013, 05:35:48 AM »

NJ Democrats made a mistake by not accepting the referendum on gay marriage last year. I have almost no doubt it would've passed in November. I'm not interested in taking a "principled stand" if it takes years to accomplish my ultimate goals. If they can't override Christie, the NJ Legislature should take up his offer for this year's ballot.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2013, 06:50:54 AM »

Delaware has their final Senate vote scheduled for Tuesday. Minnesota has until the 20th to pass their bill (in both chambers). The Illinois House has until the 31st to pass their bill. They will all be close.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2013, 08:36:39 AM »

Delaware has their final Senate vote scheduled for Tuesday. Minnesota has until the 20th to pass their bill (in both chambers). The Illinois House has until the 31st to pass their bill. They will all be close.

Deadlines in IL can be extended by the Speaker through the Rules Committee. The real deadline is Jan 14, 2015 when the next legislature is sworn in.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2013, 08:50:48 AM »

Great for RI (I had forgotten that Maine had legalized it). So we're up to 10 states now? I wonder when we'll get 20?

As far as Pennsylvania goes, I think it's a good way off - there is just far too much rural presence in our state government. The PA House is your typical rural southern-state kind of House. They rammed through a ridiculous "Year of the Bible" a year or two ago - the PA House is far-out conservative. So I think court is the best bet certainly in anything like the short term. Referendum right now would be doubtful. Stress right now. At least I'd be surprised if it would pass.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2013, 01:40:24 PM »

Deadlines in IL can be extended by the Speaker through the Rules Committee. The real deadline is Jan 14, 2015 when the next legislature is sworn in.

Good to know. Knowing this, it wouldn't surprise me if they push it back as much as possible, or not vote on it at all. Have you been thinking of the issue, muon?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2013, 02:51:37 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2013, 02:54:17 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Assuming nothing too exciting from SCOTUS, I'm thinking this is what happens by the end of 2014

Illinois, Delaware, Minnesota, and Hawaii legalize through the legislative process
California and Oregon legalize by ballot
Christie gets a LOT of sh**t for blocking it in New Jersey, which is now the easternmost part of North America without gay marriage.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2013, 07:06:57 PM »

Great for RI (I had forgotten that Maine had legalized it). So we're up to 10 states now? I wonder when we'll get 20?

As far as Pennsylvania goes, I think it's a good way off - there is just far too much rural presence in our state government. The PA House is your typical rural southern-state kind of House. They rammed through a ridiculous "Year of the Bible" a year or two ago - the PA House is far-out conservative. So I think court is the best bet certainly in anything like the short term. Referendum right now would be doubtful. Stress right now. At least I'd be surprised if it would pass.

It's like they say: Philidelphia and Pittsburg with Alabama in the middle.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies