Gay vs. Christian - Jason Collins vs. Tim Tebow (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:35:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay vs. Christian - Jason Collins vs. Tim Tebow (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gay vs. Christian - Jason Collins vs. Tim Tebow  (Read 26964 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« on: May 01, 2013, 10:54:49 AM »

Tim Tebow is a Christian, but nobody wants to talk seriously about his Christianity and wants him to keep it to himself, but people are hailing Jason Collins a hero for coming out as gay?  In fact, the media more often than not makes fun of Tebow for his Christianity, but when Chris Boussard on ESPN does not endorse Jason Collins sexuality, ESPN immediately issues an apology and reprimands Boussard. 

Is the standard now to make fun of Christians, but don't you dare say anything against homosexuality?

Why is this country starting to become more tolerant of homosexual relations than Christianity?

How is this okay?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 10:58:23 AM »

Just because someone comes out as gay, does not mean everyone should applaud or endorse such.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 11:06:58 AM »

True, the media has always talked about Tebow's Christianity, but I have never seen the media applaud him for it.  They would rather make fun of it or make light of it.

Now, personally, I applaud Jason Collins for breaking through the prism, but I just don't think those who don't agree with his decision should be silenced or reprimanded, even those on national TV.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 11:16:50 AM »

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-espn-chris-broussard-sparks-uproar-after-jason-collins-remarks-20130429,0,1157118.story

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-chris-broussard-jason-collins-20130430,0,4496676.story

These two links are the same story and I did not realize Mr. Broussard clarified his remarks, but when ESPN says it was a respectful discussion of viewpoints, that seems like code for "the only viewpoint acceptable is applaud and endorsement of homosexual relations."
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 11:42:23 AM »

The reason Tim Tebow is getting blackballed is because he is loved not because he is hated.

The guy is a project who needs to work on his fundamentals and compete for playing time, but his fanbase makes excuses for him saying he doesn't need to change his throwing style and that he should start because he just wins.

No coach wants that kind of crap on their team.

I totally agree with that.  No person, regardless of their religious or sexual affiliation, is exempt from working at their job.  Tim Tebow needs to work on his football skills, mainly throwing and Jason Collins needs to work on his game.  Nobody in their right mind would disagree.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 11:43:22 AM »

The main point I'm trying to get across is that if the media is to be neutral on Christianity, not for or against, it should be neutral on homosexuality, neither for nor against.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 11:51:05 AM »

The main point I'm trying to get across is that if the media is to be neutral on Christianity, not for or against, it should be neutral on homosexuality, neither for nor against.

Following this logic, the media should be neutral on both civil rights issues and the KKK. Wouldn't want to be unfair to either group.

At least allow dissenting view points without being forced to apologize.

America was designed with freedom of speech and that should be enforced and appreciated even when it comes to controversial topics like religion, politics, or sexual orientation.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 12:04:01 PM »

Following this logic, the media should be neutral on both civil rights issues and the KKK. Wouldn't want to be unfair to either group.

America was designed with freedom of speech and that should be enforced and appreciated even when it comes to controversial topics like religion, politics, or sexual orientation.

You're very explicitly endorsing bigotry and discrimination against a minority group. Shame on you.

So, not applauding and embracing homosexuality is bigotry?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 12:05:20 PM »

See my last comment (which I have already repeated once). There aren't any "viewpoints" to discuss.

If this topic is ALL about courage, and has NOTHING to do with homosexuality, then I agree with you, but the media should allow dissenting view points that don't endorse, embrace, and applaud homosexuality.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 12:07:19 PM »

You're very explicitly endorsing bigotry and discrimination against a minority group. Shame on you.

So, not applauding and embracing homosexuality is bigotry?

Thinking there is anything wrong with the "homosexual lifestyle" is, which is what Chris Broussard said. Anyone trying to empower Broussard's words or even defend his viewpoint is endorsing the spread of bigotry.

So, standing up for the Bible and God's laws is bigotry and should not be tolerated?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 12:08:04 PM »

I tell you one thing, Chris Broussard is on the right side of history and the right side of the future.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 12:11:40 PM »

Whatever, I'm done with this conversation.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 12:42:30 PM »

Oh well, I am going to close this thread.  Like I said in the National Day of Prayer thread, I came into that thread and created this thread with my gloves on looking for a fight.  I don't want this to blow up any more than what is has.  We all have our different viewpoints, all of which should be expressed in the public arena without fear of ridicule, harassment, humiliation, etc.  The same goes for mainstream view points and outlandish and controversial view points like the demographic dissension that Andrew is talking about.  Everyone has their view points and everyone should be able to express them.  This is America, we are a Democracy, not a Dictatorship.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 12:47:10 PM »

The reason they are promoting this is because sports is not neutral on homosexuality, it is very strongly against, and this is viewed as a problem by many, including people in sports.

Sports is generally positive on Christianity and there's not much for the media to do.

That I agree with.  Sports has been traditionally too macho for different sexual orientations.  Personally, I applaud Mr. Collins for coming out and breaking through the prism, but I don't feel that everybody should have to feel the same way.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 12:58:36 PM »

Oh well, I am going to close this thread.  Like I said in the National Day of Prayer thread, I came into that thread and created this thread with my gloves on looking for a fight.  I don't want this to blow up any more than what is has.  We all have our different viewpoints, all of which should be expressed in the public arena without fear of ridicule, harassment, humiliation, etc.  The same goes for mainstream view points and outlandish and controversial view points like the demographic dissension that Andrew is talking about.  Everyone has their view points and everyone should be able to express them.  This is America, we are a Democracy, not a Dictatorship.

That's like trying to fight a group of people with machine guns with a rifle (symbolically for the quality of the arguments in this fight), to put it in Oklahoman terms.

Or trying to bring a knife to a gun fight.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 10:01:29 PM »

Did you say nap?  I sure will. Smiley
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 01:29:35 PM »

I'll just say I am very disappointed in Chris Broussard - as a sports fan, hearing him use his religion on air to judge another person's lifestyle is quite distasteful. He always seems angry to me, or always on the verge of getting really riled, so go figure.

Yeah, this. It was really disappointing to hear, considering I actually had a relatively positive opinion of Chris Broussard prior to that.

Agreed.  I'm just glad it wasn't Stephen A. Smith.

There probably would have been a riot if Smith had said that.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 03:42:57 PM »

Some of you liked Chris Broussard before this? The dude is an absolute joke within the sports community.

I was neutral-positive on him.  Skip Bayless is my favorite, in that his anti-LeBron stance appeals to me.

As a Thunder fan.  I concur with Skip Bayless.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies