Gay vs. Christian - Jason Collins vs. Tim Tebow (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:19:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay vs. Christian - Jason Collins vs. Tim Tebow (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gay vs. Christian - Jason Collins vs. Tim Tebow  (Read 26958 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: May 01, 2013, 01:22:13 PM »

Both are gay, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear they're both Christians too.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Collins is relatively traditionally Christian, yeah.

I don't think anyone truly wants Tebow congratulated for being "courageously" Christian. Yes, in some respects being outwardly religious as a Christian in this country can be a challenge even though Christians are by far the majority. The "You're the majority. You don't face unfair treatment/criticism" argument just doesn't fly.

False equivalency much?

The Christian Victim Complex is quite cute. "We're the majority, but when you enforce the separation of church and state, or subject our holy book to scrutiny, we're being discriminated against!"

That isn't what Phil said. He said that being outwardly religious as a Christian can be a challenge in this country, which, so long as he accepts that expressing any belief strongly can be a challenge in some situations, particularly considering the superficiality of elements of the culture, I don't think means the same thing.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 01:33:52 PM »

I don't think anyone truly wants Tebow congratulated for being "courageously" Christian. Yes, in some respects being outwardly religious as a Christian in this country can be a challenge even though Christians are by far the majority. The "You're the majority. You don't face unfair treatment/criticism" argument just doesn't fly.

False equivalency much?

The Christian Victim Complex is quite cute. "We're the majority, but when you enforce the separation of church and state, or subject our holy book to scrutiny, we're being discriminated against!"

That isn't what Phil said. He said that being outwardly religious as a Christian can be a challenge in this country, which, so long as he accepts that expressing any belief strongly can be a challenge in some situations, particularly considering the superficiality of elements of the culture, I don't think means the same thing.

His statement is quite clear: expressing Christianity in America can be a challenge. He did not qualify it with "strongly." I am not saying that Christians never face blowback ever, but the blowback they receive is not on the same order of magnitude that Muslims or Atheists get for the same amount of belief expression.

He did, however, qualify it with 'in some respects'. I think it behooves us to wait and see if Phil explains what exactly he meant by this.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 03:08:22 PM »

Nathan and Grumps wanted me to clarify my statements. I said that being an outwardly religious Christian can, in some respects, be a challenge in certain areas of this country or in the media. But here's the kicker: you acknowledge that that's true. You admit that Christians suffer some blowback but that's when you went into another victimization routine about how it just isn't blowback of the same magnitude of other groups. Totally irrelevant to the discussion and a point that I wouldn't even dispute. This was just about you getting on your soapbox about Christians.

Yeah, that's what it seemed to me like you meant, but I didn't want to presume on your behalf.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies