Gay vs. Christian - Jason Collins vs. Tim Tebow (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:54:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay vs. Christian - Jason Collins vs. Tim Tebow (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gay vs. Christian - Jason Collins vs. Tim Tebow  (Read 26991 times)
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« on: May 01, 2013, 05:11:48 PM »

The main point I'm trying to get across is that if the media is to be neutral on Christianity, not for or against, it should be neutral on homosexuality, neither for nor against.

Following this logic, the media should be neutral on both civil rights issues and the KKK. Wouldn't want to be unfair to either group.

At least allow dissenting view points without being forced to apologize.

America was designed with freedom of speech and that should be enforced and appreciated even when it comes to controversial topics like religion, politics, or sexual orientation.

Oh well, I am going to close this thread.  Like I said in the National Day of Prayer thread, I came into that thread and created this thread with my gloves on looking for a fight.  I don't want this to blow up any more than what is has.  We all have our different viewpoints, all of which should be expressed in the public arena without fear of ridicule, harassment, humiliation, etc.  The same goes for mainstream view points and outlandish and controversial view points like the demographic dissension that Andrew is talking about.  Everyone has their view points and everyone should be able to express them.  This is America, we are a Democracy, not a Dictatorship.

You're distorting the situation and doing a massive disservice to the concept of freedom of speech. The government is not censoring Boussard in any way shape or form, so there is no freedom of speech issue here. Freedom of speech is NOT freedom from ridicule, harassment, and humiliation. Quite the contrary. Anyone has the right to express their opinion about homosexuality, but if they make a bigoted remark, then other people have the right to exercise their freedom of speech by responding with disagreement that may include ridicule and humiliation. Chris Boussard exercised his first amendment right to speak his mind. His employers at ESPN exercised their own free speech rights by expressing their disagreement with those statements and apologizing.

Respecting freedom of speech does not mean that society must tolerate intolerance. The KKK and the Westboro baptist church have the right to say whatever hateful things they want, but that doesn't mean that everyone has to pretend as those are valid viewpoints that should be given due consideration in the realm of public debate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies