Gay vs. Christian - Jason Collins vs. Tim Tebow (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:23:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay vs. Christian - Jason Collins vs. Tim Tebow (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gay vs. Christian - Jason Collins vs. Tim Tebow  (Read 26977 times)
Link
« on: May 01, 2013, 05:35:15 PM »

Tim Tebow is a Christian, but nobody wants to talk seriously about his Christianity and wants him to keep it to himself, but people are hailing Jason Collins a hero for coming out as gay?  In fact, the media more often than not makes fun of Tebow for his Christianity, but when Chris Boussard on ESPN does not endorse Jason Collins sexuality, ESPN immediately issues an apology and reprimands Boussard. 

Is the standard now to make fun of Christians, but don't you dare say anything against homosexuality?

Why is this country starting to become more tolerant of homosexual relations than Christianity?

How is this okay?

WTF is this?!

Homosexuality is not a religion.  And what NFL have you been watching?  About a billion+ NFL players have come out as Christian.  One gay guy comes out of the closet and you throw a hissy fit?!

I know of no NFL player that shows up on game day and starts doing homosexual rituals to win the game.  Are you on crack?  The guy did ONE article at the end of his career when NO ONE else did it.  He didn't show up 2000+ years after the birth of Christ in a stadium full of about a billion Christians and then make a habitual annoying ritual spectacle of himself.  I'm a Christian but I don't feel the need to ram it down every other Christians throat.  Now if I was a pro athlete in Saudi Arabia and pretended to be Muslim all my life that might be a different story.  But in America?!  Please stop with the victim mentality.  It makes Christians look like pussies!

Link
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 07:46:47 AM »

This simple-minded chart belies the fact that the only real majority in the US is a secular one that tries to avoid discussing religion (or non-religion) at all costs in favor of a do-whatever-you-want attitude. Great swaths of those identifying as Christian are functionally secular, and practicing Christians are a minority.

You either spend most of your time in a high school or a crack house.

No one here who is older than 22 and has a real job exists in whatever environment you are talking about.  There is a general rule in polite productive society that all controversial topics should be saved for discussing at home with your family... preferably not at the dinner table.  There is a saying, "don't discuss religion or politics."  Where I work no one except some screwball right wingers discusses politics.  We show up, get our work done, and go home.  If you asked the majority of my coworkers who I voted for almost 100% of them would probably guess wrong.  Obviously I am not apolitical.

Again we see someone trying to make it out that Christianity is being singled out for special treatment.  I have had about an equal number of political, religious, and sexual orientation conversations at work... which is to say very very few.  Outside of work I have discussed religion and attended both Christian and Jewish religious ceremonies.  I may have had more sexual orientation conversations outside of work but that is simply a function of being astounded in 2013 at the level of hate directed at homosexuals.  If the right wingers and radical Christians would stop persecuting homosexuals I don't think it would come up at all in my conversations.
Link
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 05:24:44 PM »

This simple-minded chart belies the fact that the only real majority in the US is a secular one that tries to avoid discussing religion (or non-religion) at all costs in favor of a do-whatever-you-want attitude. Great swaths of those identifying as Christian are functionally secular, and practicing Christians are a minority.

You either spend most of your time in a high school or a crack house.

No one here who is older than 22 and has a real job exists in whatever environment you are talking about.  There is a general rule in polite productive society that all controversial topics should be saved for discussing at home with your family... preferably not at the dinner table.  There is a saying, "don't discuss religion or politics."  Where I work no one except some screwball right wingers discusses politics.  We show up, get our work done, and go home.  If you asked the majority of my coworkers who I voted for almost 100% of them would probably guess wrong.  Obviously I am not apolitical.

I'm confused. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

I disagree with the notion that a majority of Americans have a "do-whatever-you-want attitude."  People may not discuss controversial subjects at work or at social gatherings but most people over 22 aspire to have a pretty buttoned down conventional life.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies