Gay vs. Christian - Jason Collins vs. Tim Tebow (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:06:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay vs. Christian - Jason Collins vs. Tim Tebow (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gay vs. Christian - Jason Collins vs. Tim Tebow  (Read 26951 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« on: May 01, 2013, 11:48:04 AM »

People can believe whatever they want about homosexuality or religion.  It's a free country.  But, as a society, we don't have to accept or respect hateful, ignorant beliefs.  The idea that being gay is morally wrong is a stupid, bigoted belief.  People are free to express that belief, but they don't have a right to force everyone to respect homophobia. 

And please, don't complain about being persecuted as a White Christian man in America.  That's just ridiculous.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 03:55:17 PM »

The point that needs to be made is that our media and pop culture make it acceptable to make fun of Christians, but when someone disagrees with the homosexual agenda homosexuality on religious grounds, they're called a bigot and forced to apologize. There's an undeniable double standard. Bravely standing up for what you believe in should be lauded no matter your belief. If you're an evangelical Christian (athlete or sportscaster) and are very open about your faith, congratulations. That takes courage in this society. If If you're a professional athlete who comes out as gay, you're also courageous. Both people have the right to opine. That's a perfect example of equality that so many people dislike.

This is really distorting what's going on here.  Everyone has freedom of speech.  There haven't been laws against coming out as gay for almost two years.  Evangelical Christians likewise are able to say whatever they want about gays/gayness.  The same is true for the Westboro Baptist church, neo-nazis, the nation of Islam, etc.  The marketplace of ideas however, does not require that everyone respect anyone else's ideas.  If you have unpopular ideas, you have a lot of options: convince people that you're right, shut up or live with the consequences of your comments.  If you want immunity from criticism, you're being a whining baby. 

To compare the hardship gays have been through in America to the hardship of Christians in being openly bigoted towards gays is absolutely ridiculous.  Remember, recently it was illegal to be gay period.  Openly gay soldiers were fired.  Gays in religious communities are shunned and have their lives destroyed.  Gays are the victims of hate crimes, bullying and abuse every single day in America.

I'm gay and if the worst thing I suffered was some ignorant bumpkin disagreeing with my "lifestyle," I would be so happy.  I can deal with people expressing dumb views.  But, don't tell me not to stand up against attacks on who I am because it hurts your feelings.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies