Is masturbation immoral?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:12:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is masturbation immoral?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Poll
Question: Is masturbation immoral?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 133

Author Topic: Is masturbation immoral?  (Read 28937 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2005, 04:14:24 PM »

I'm just curious if there is actually anyone here who honestly thinks this.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 04:18:41 PM »

It does absolutely no harm to anyone else, so I don't see how it would be.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 06:36:55 PM »

No. In fact, making it seem sinful can often encourage teens to do far worse.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 06:40:28 PM »

of course
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 06:45:39 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2005, 06:49:18 PM by Justice John Dibble »

'of course' makes it sound obvious. It ain't so obvious - I do not see how it does any harm to anyone, so how is it immoral? Enlighten us if you would.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 06:49:40 PM »

'of course' makes it sound obvious. It ain't so obvious - I do not see how it does any harm to anyone, so how is it immoral? Enlightend us if you would.
Immoral implies ethics, which in turn implies opinions of individuals.  Immoral does not refer to hurting others.

I voted no.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005, 06:51:57 PM »

'of course' makes it sound obvious. It ain't so obvious - I do not see how it does any harm to anyone, so how is it immoral? Enlightend us if you would.
Immoral implies ethics, which in turn implies opinions of individuals.  Immoral does not refer to hurting others.

I'm quite aware of that - I'm just wondering how he came to this conclusion.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 07:01:02 PM »

'of course' makes it sound obvious. It ain't so obvious - I do not see how it does any harm to anyone, so how is it immoral? Enlighten us if you would.

John, joking Cheesy
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2005, 07:02:52 PM »

John, joking Cheesy

Tongue Use smilies or something next time, lol, it's kind of hard to tell when things are done by text
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2005, 07:03:18 PM »

who voted yes?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2005, 07:04:13 PM »

John, joking Cheesy

Tongue Use smilies or something next time, lol, it's kind of hard to tell when things are done by text

hey sorry, thought it was obvious Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2005, 07:06:22 PM »

In theory, yes it is.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2005, 07:06:35 PM »

There is a case for it being immoral. I guess one basis would be that (for example in the case of males) when a male ejaculates during masturbation he is wasting life in that the sperm lost which hold potential for life cannot meet said potential due to their being wasted with no chance of reaching an egg. That is one case I can think of, not a particularly strong one but a case none the less.

Oh and my answer is of course no.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2005, 07:13:10 PM »

There is a case for it being immoral. I guess one basis would be that (for example in the case of males) when a male ejaculates during masturbation he is wasting life in that the sperm lost which hold potential for life cannot meet said potential due to their being wasted with no chance of reaching an egg. That is one case I can think of, not a particularly strong one but a case none the less.

Oh and my answer is of course no.

Not a great basis, though, especially if you aren't gonna get laid anytime soon - those sperm are gonna die of natural causes if that's the case. Of course, if we extended this logic, we could say it's immoral not to be having lots of sex. Grin
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2005, 10:52:29 PM »

It is immoral, but that does not mean it should be criminalized. Having sex with someone whom you are not married to and interfering with the reproduction is immoral. I'm sure less religious persons than myself would disagree.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2005, 10:56:15 PM »

It is immoral, but that does not mean it should be criminalized. Having sex with someone whom you are not married to and interfering with the reproduction is immoral. I'm sure less religious persons than myself would disagree.

Yeah. I disagree. Though I'm interested in the 'why' - masturbation does not harm anyone, so why is it immoral?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2005, 11:09:36 PM »

howso when it does not harm anyone?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2005, 11:24:59 PM »

No.  Sexual desire is a perfectly natural phenomenon and is nothing to be ashamed of, and barring the case in which you have an intimate relationship with someone you love, masturbation is by far the best way to deal with this feeling.  It causes no harm*, makes you feel good, and lets you focus on other things afterward.  Of course, letting your life revolve around masturbation is obviously a bad thing, but the same can be said for anything.  People can become consumed by the work they do and neglect their family, but does that mean that work is immoral, or just that workoholics really need to re-examine their habits?

*That is, unless you consider the sperm and the egg to be forms of life equal to a human.  Even the "life begins at conception" people don't think this, however, and it'd be pretty weird if you did, considering that millions of sperm and eggs die all the time, regardless of whether or not masturbation takes place.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2005, 11:27:16 PM »

I don't believe masturbation is immoral.

If it is, every man on the planet will go to hell, because every man does it, even men who are married or in committed relationships where they're getting regular sex.

Men have a physical need for periodic sexual release, and masturbation is one way to accomplish this.  And for a man who's not ready for a committed relationship, or the possible responsibilities of fatherhood, it's a hell of a lot better than getting a bunch of girls pregnant.

I'm not sure why anybody would find masturbation immoral.  I think it's immoral to create another life when you are unable to care for it properly, but masturbation does not do this.

As long as you don't open your coat in a park and do it in front of little kids, I don't think there's anything wrong with it.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2005, 11:29:09 PM »

John, joking Cheesy

hey sorry, thought it was obvious Smiley

From a right-winger, you never know...
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2005, 11:29:32 PM »

Question for me is 2-3 times a day immoral?  Or how many times before I get "blue balls?"
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2005, 11:32:56 PM »

Question for me is 2-3 times a day immoral?  Or how many times before I get "blue balls?"

Whacking off doesn't give you blue balls, man.  Blue balls come from continued sexual excitement without release.  In other words, if you were getting woodies for a long time without release, that would lead to blue balls.  Masturbation prevents blue balls.

Have fun.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2005, 11:42:34 PM »

Whacking off doesn't give you blue balls, man.  Blue balls come from continued sexual excitement without release.  In other words, if you were getting woodies for a long time without release, that would lead to blue balls.  Masturbation prevents blue balls.

Have fun.

I had a little trouble at a YDA fundraiser the other night! Tongue  Some young ladies there from various staffs were quite delicious.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2005, 11:43:42 PM »

No, it's not immoral.

...Unless you get obsessed with it or something.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2005, 11:46:55 PM »

Have fun.

This is a major problem I get at work.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies