Pat Toomey: Republicans "did not want to be seen helping" Obama on gun bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:47:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pat Toomey: Republicans "did not want to be seen helping" Obama on gun bill
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Pat Toomey: Republicans "did not want to be seen helping" Obama on gun bill  (Read 1561 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 01, 2013, 06:28:47 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://mainlinemedianews.com/articles/2013/05/01/main_line_times/news/doc5180f9ddb3dee859736381.txt?viewmode=fullstory

Kinda nice to see a conservative Republican Senator (from the class of 2010, no less) admit that his party, by and large, is unwilling to even consider supporting anything that President Obama supports.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 06:31:18 PM »

If the GOP betrays the ownership class that funds their campaigns, what will become of them?  Not surprising. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 07:07:37 PM »

Partisanship is out of control. This idea of my team against yours is just so High School, so juvenile. When oh when are the voters going to start to elect adults?
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 07:39:22 PM »

Partisanship is out of control. This idea of my team against yours is just so High School, so juvenile. When oh when are the voters going to start to elect adults?

That has been what the UK political system has been like for many, many a year. Tongue
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 08:26:37 PM »

He should get credit for his honesty.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 08:40:03 PM »

Good for Toomey. Let's hope the rest of the conservatives start following suit.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 09:24:42 PM »

He should get credit for his honesty.

And at least he actively tried to take a leadership role to do something about it, rather than perpetually whine from the sidelines like Olympia Snowe used to do.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 09:35:58 PM »

I really dislike Toomey's political stances, but when someone does something I feel is the right thing, I'll offer them kudos. I even sent a letter to his Senate office detailing how I was a strong Joe Sestak supporter and was greatly disappointed at his election, however, I feel he did the right thing for the nation by working in a bipartisan manner with Joe Manchin to actually accomplish something. I give him credit for that.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 10:28:51 PM »

I really dislike Toomey's political stances, but when someone does something I feel is the right thing, I'll offer them kudos. I even sent a letter to his Senate office detailing how I was a strong Joe Sestak supporter and was greatly disappointed at his election, however, I feel he did the right thing for the nation by working in a bipartisan manner with Joe Manchin to actually accomplish something. I give him credit for that.

The rarity of this is all the more astonishing. Gun control fits the traditionally-conservative concept of law and order. But most Republicans seem to be operating on the principle of "Don't let Obama get any successes". They ignore (1) that good government is a good idea, and (2) that Democrats might get the same idea if they get an electoral result inverting that of 2010 in 2018 with a Republican President. There might be a nasty recession for us to get out of, or there might be a nasty war going badly. Besides, we could get into a vicious cycle of one Party getting complete control of the Executive and Legislative branches and voting as directed in some Party conference with the first priority of Congress at all such times to undo everything done a few years earlier.   

Eighty years later the partisan identity of the New Deal has no relevance. 
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 12:03:06 AM »

The Republicans are simply aligning up to what their voters want. Pollsters find that Democratic constituencies are in favor of compromise, while the GOP voters favor the hardline. It's unfortunate, really. Voting in gridlock helps nobody.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 12:41:15 AM »

The Republicans are simply aligning up to what their voters want. Pollsters find that Democratic constituencies are in favor of compromise, while the GOP voters favor the hardline. It's unfortunate, really. Voting in gridlock helps nobody.

Actually even the majority of Republicans support universal background checks, according to the latest polls.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 01:20:42 AM »

That's not a problem per se. It only becomes one because of the supermajority requirement.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 05:20:47 AM »

Republicans care more about their image than about helping people? You don't say!

Proud I supported Toomey in 2010, as well
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 08:17:52 PM »

I'm starting to lump Toomey more in the Mark Kirk mold than the Ron Johnson, Rubio, & Ayotte mold. As in he's less of a Tea Partier and more of a guy who rode the Tea Party wave into office.

And like Kirk, I'd probably appreciate him even more if he wasn't sitting in a seat that Democrats could easily swipe.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 11:30:12 PM »

I'm starting to lump Toomey more in the Mark Kirk mold than the Ron Johnson, Rubio, & Ayotte mold. As in he's less of a Tea Partier and more of a guy who rode the Tea Party wave into office.

And like Kirk, I'd probably appreciate him even more if he wasn't sitting in a seat that Democrats could easily swipe.

Maybe, but he was always on the right of the Pennsylvania GOP, challenging Arlen Specter back in 2004.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 01:34:27 AM »

It's all in our heads.  It happens on both sides.  Etc.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 11:38:41 PM »

Partisanship plays a big role on this like everything else, but it doesn't explain the Democrats who voted against it, or some of the Republicans who have been willing to cross party lines on other things.  It's understandable Toomey's disappointed he couldn't get more support for his bill - but it's reasonable to assume that some of the reason it failed had to do with the bill itself.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 03:26:39 AM »

Well, looks like he'll be facing a strong primary in 2016 now and he all but killed any presidential ambitions.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 03:29:46 AM »

Well, looks like he'll be facing a strong primary in 2016 now and he all but killed any presidential ambitions.

With the way both parties are running to the right, maybe he will, and the Democrats will run Rick Santorum against him.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 03:32:28 AM »

With the way both parties are running to the right, maybe he will, and the Democrats will run Rick Santorum against him.

Was that an attempt at humor, or an attempt to out-hyperbole Krazen?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 03:40:16 AM »

Was that an attempt at humor, or an attempt to out-hyperbole Krazen?

Slightly serious since Toomey actually is well to Santorum's right.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 02:56:04 PM »

Good he had the guts to say this out loud.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 11:12:35 PM »

I always thought Toomey was an extreme conservative. Glad to see I was wrong.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 08:12:03 AM »

I always thought Toomey was an extreme conservative. Glad to see I was wrong.

Oh, he is. His lifetime American Conservative voting record had a 98 rating (compared to 97 for Santorum). He's apparantly at least one of the grown-ups, though.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 08:36:00 AM »

That has been what the UK political system has been like for many, many a year. Tongue

It's sustainable with a parliamentary system where parties alternate holding power. It's not with our current system where there is a perpetual coalition government, whether people want it or not.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies