SENATE BILL: ...Mental Health Reform Act of 2013 (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:02:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: ...Mental Health Reform Act of 2013 (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: ...Mental Health Reform Act of 2013 (Failed)  (Read 7527 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2013, 01:34:06 PM »

Well, about infrastructure, my question is "How is the infrastructure is, currently?".

What are the issues? Lack of them? Them being in a state of disrepair? Bad geographical distribution? Normal building maintenance?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2013, 12:58:55 AM »

There is a lack of facilities in certain areasn and I would imagine some that have thme need improvement. This is a problem across all of Healthcare, not just Mental Health. Some states are better than others of course, for instance, I read that Arizona has some good facilities but no one bothered to utilize them to help Loughner or whatever his name is before the Tucson shooting.

We need find some way of increasing the number of qualified mental health professionals, increase the number of clinics and centers and locate them in the areas where they are needed most. Along with that comes the questions of how to fund it who selects the locations and whether or not this is something the Federal Gov't should do directly or it should be Regionally Administered. Most of the capacities established to supervise this effort is a Regionally administered (or at the very least the boundaries of the Federal Gov'ts districts are the same as the Regions, but they are Federally empwoer if you know what I mean) so maintaining that setup is probably the best response. As for the locations most in need, some of that is covered in my previously posted research and it is the usual suspects. The rural areas and some inner cities.

There is also the issue of providing transition support for family members of mental health patients who wont' be able to work once they start getting treated for their condition. I expect this a deterrant that puts everyone at risk, that of fear of no income. However, I am unsure what the current level of support is for such people and it probably falls into some general category with a bunch of other health related work interruptions and therefore doesn't receive the necessary "specialize" support necessary to address the problem, the problem of relatives not seeking treatment for a breadwinner.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2013, 06:50:22 AM »

It just seems that I can't win with this bill for some reason. Tongue Every time I get close to being on track, something f**ks everything up.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »

I hope that if I were just like start knocking crap off on here, say on Monday, that we can possibly gget this done or close to being done by the end of the month.

I plan to just throw some stuff down and say here it is his regarding the expansion of the facilities. Right now, I am thinking just grants to the regions to build new facilities with the usually SoIA administration, etc etc. I might also want to tinker more with the education an soem random parts of the text. I plan to start using some red text since there is already too much bold as it is.

Feel free to comment, ask questions or debate any sub issue between now and then, because I just knoe you are dying to participate of course. Lets just pray that thigns will change after the election is over.

If worse comes to worse, I might just have to whip out the old yellar text in DAILY PMs!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2013, 01:01:40 PM »

It all depends how much we trust regions to get this done. I tend to think they can handle it, as long as the money we do appropriate has strings attached, and they can't go spend it on something else, like Imperial coats in the case of the IDS.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2013, 01:47:31 PM »

Who do you think you are dealing with, Duke? You know me better than that. Tongue Every grant has strings attached and the ability to stip abused monies.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2013, 03:27:04 PM »

Giving the power to a region is obviously causing a problem at this very moment.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2013, 11:16:04 AM »

Giving the power to a region is obviously causing a problem at this very moment.

How so Maxy?

We are not giving them power, we are giving them money in exchange for meeting standards of course. A common practice we have used hundreds of times.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2013, 11:27:42 AM »

Do you have an alternative?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2013, 05:25:59 PM »

Does Hagrid's idea in the Rail act have cross-applicability as far as apportioning resources to the regions to build facilities?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2013, 03:41:29 PM »

How many emails do I have to send to get responses to similar sub questions?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2013, 01:15:33 AM »

Does Hagrid's idea in the Rail act have cross-applicability as far as apportioning resources to the regions to build facilities?

Why don't we just build the facilities ourselves? This is a federal program operated by the executive branch.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2013, 06:26:03 PM »

Because the health administration authorities or whatever they are called, in a bill you heavily admended and should thus be family with, while being federally operated, have bounders that are the same as those of the regions. Therefore someone has to decided who gets how many facilities, or how much money to build facilities.

I do appreciate the response though.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2013, 05:22:20 PM »

Because the health administration authorities or whatever they are called, in a bill you heavily admended and should thus be family with, while being federally operated, have bounders that are the same as those of the regions. Therefore someone has to decided who gets how many facilities, or how much money to build facilities.

I'm familiar, but the federal government already decides how much money goes to each CHP, so wouldn't we just include it all together?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2013, 07:22:52 PM »

Yes, but there is no superior mechanism for this that determines how much each authority would get, or at least no organization presently structured for making such a determination.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2013, 03:41:19 PM »

Should we create an organization to decide that? I am in the camp that thinks this should be centrally controlled so its quality can be assured in every region. Mental health is important, as we all know, and I don't want 1 region to have better facilities or doctors than another, and that could happen if we give regions too much control over the situation.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2013, 08:13:23 PM »

Should we create an organization to decide that? I am in the camp that thinks this should be centrally controlled so its quality can be assured in every region. Mental health is important, as we all know, and I don't want 1 region to have better facilities or doctors than another, and that could happen if we give regions too much control over the situation.

"What happened to the Chrono who was going to destroy Pandemonium with me?" Tongue

If we want centrally controlled and we have pretty much given up on the position of Internal Affairs to get the job done, then I would recommend we just not make it playable at all and just direct some kind of subagency (using Nix's consolidation bill as guidance).

We still have to figure how how much is needed nationwide then.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2013, 02:56:59 AM »

I would point out that the Education Reform which should be before us soon relied heavily on the SoIA still.

I think what need is a template for once. Because so many SoIAs have been DOA, they have to feel their way through.

What the SoIA should be in the face of the Federal Gov't as it implements the mechanics of domestic policy, and more importantly the agent of interaction with the Regional Executives. He is to policy the moneys and monitor the actions of the Regions to implement federal policy and raise hell when they don't do their job.

I think we made a mistake when he made the SoIA part of the Game Moderation team, and to some extent also with the SoEA. What we need was disconnect the SoIA from it's primary purpose and thus there is little to no understanding of what its purpose was when we first created it. The SoEA existed for years without Game Moderation abilities for instance. As I said at the time, my preference would be to make the GM a combination of God, Nature and Life (read unpredictably) to which the SoIA serves as Treasury, HHS, Commerce, Education, Energy, Transporation, Labor and Housing and Urban Development as well as ombudsman to the Regions with regards to the implementation of and compliance with those policies that utilize the Regional Gov'ts in some capacity for its implementation. This was the idea behind it when we voted to create this position in late 2009.

I would love to know why no one who has held the position since has used it to its full potential. They don't know. I have a theory, and that is because it isn't a core function, it is easy to just drift on doing nothing. What should happen in that case, is the Regional Governments would demand their ing money and harrass the SoIA until they get it. However, many don't realize just how much they are missing out on.

I am fairly certain Nix wants to abolish it (call it a hunch Tongue). If he doesn't, my suggestion would be to compile all the backlogged implementation stuff and present that along with a mission statement and list of objectives the office is indented to do by statute and the Constitution, and present that to potential nominees and give them a set period to insist it all be caught up by and then be on track with present implementation and monitoring regional actions. If no one is interested, then abolish it.

The problem is that someone has to do this stuff or simulate it being done, otherwise the range, depth and detail of our legislation will be reduced like on this Mental Health Bill or on the education bill. We shall be reduced to simple lists and demands with little concern for mechanics and with that goes at least 30% to 50% of the Senate discourse.

My suggestion is start first with Marokai, because he deserves all the torture he can be given and is now unemployed. Evil Tongue

The cabinet is an appendage that services the election aspect of this game, by facilitating the implementation of policy and so forth then drives the debate. I think instead of focusing on the SoIA or any particular office, we have to ask, "Why can't we make the cabinet work"? What is this wall that seperates us from a functioning cabinet that acheives it's purposes and does its job? I think Nix should ask himself, his Vice President and every member of his cabinet weekly. Maybe someone will have some a brilliant idea. I sure hope for Nix's sake it isn't abolishing the cabinet, because he would be crushed under the load. Tongue

I know some are suggesting merging the cabinet with the Senate? Really? Do we really think that when we can only manage a 50% activity rate among the Seante members, that finding five or six people amongst them to handle executive functions in a parliamentary like system will work any better at those things getting done then the present system with people whose focused is solely isolated yet inactive and incompetent by an large, especially where it matters most for an elections game and that is domestic policy implementation. I probably do know how to fix these posts and probably could if appointed to one of them and I am sure Nix, Nappy and others do as well even if they don't realize it yet, but there is no way I could manage that on top of normal Senate duties. And no offence to Nappy, I don't think he could either, or even well reknowned energy bunny, Scott, could last long in such a dual role. One or the other would suffer as a result, and probably the the cabinet posts would end up getting the worst of it, since we have already seen how easy it is to fail as a cabinet member and no suffer for it, or even have a good number of people care about it.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2013, 09:15:04 AM »

I think we made a mistake when he made the SoIA part of the Game Moderation team, and to some extent also with the SoEA.

Haha, yeah, I know.

I probably do know how to fix these posts and probably could if appointed to one of them and I am sure Nix, Nappy and others do as well even if they don't realize it yet, but there is no way I could manage that on top of normal Senate duties. And no offence to Nappy, I don't think he could either, or even well reknowned energy bunny, Scott, could last long in such a dual role.

You're probably right, but we've got to come up with something to improve the situation.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2013, 02:45:02 PM »

For the record, I think than neither the SoIA, the SoEA or the Ag should have "moderating" duties. Only the GM must.

And I don't like the word "moderator" for that, I prefer something as "animator" or some kind of "Game Master" (oh, same initials!). Perhaps it's my RPG side showing, through.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2013, 02:03:59 AM »

And I don't like the word "moderator" for that, I prefer something as "animator" or some kind of "Game Master" (oh, same initials!). Perhaps it's my RPG side showing, through.

I agree, Max.

For the record, I think that Polnut's tenure as SoEA counts as evidence of the success for the Game Moderation Reform Amendment.

I am working with several candidates for the SoIA appointment right now, and I know that many of them wouldn't have as much interest in the position if it didn't include game moderation responsibilities. Our last couple of IA Secretaries literally did nothing with the position, so we haven't had a chance to see what an appointee who actually has some interest in doing their job would do. While I have my doubts about the position, I won't deny anyone who's interested the chance to make the best of it as long as it exists.

It is a shame you couldn't like do it yourself for a month, to set the example. Cabinet Flexibility isn't quite that flexible unfortunately.

Whoever you appoint, pressure them to produce results weekly, or hell, daily.  As I told Marokai last March, go bold, go aggressive, go big or go home, when it comes to the cabinet. This game would be so much better if that position functioned.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2013, 06:41:39 AM »

Too often we find ourselves in a situation where many just want to leave things as they are, not always intentionally but it happens none the less and on the flip side people who want to slap people in the face. However, is often missed is in between, you want to shock people true, but do in a way that is thought provoking, instead of provoking certain other responses that we shall not speak of.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2013, 10:56:13 AM »

Well it would seem the SoIA is a go for now, so I will return to my original approach and use him in the tried true methods with slight alterations. I expect an amendment to be ready by some time tomorrow to effect this change and refine/finish some other parts of the bill as well.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2013, 08:13:41 AM »

Posting this here because saying "the appropriate agency" gets old after awhile, so I plan to fix that.

Executive Branch Reorganization Act

A BILL

To clarify, streamline, and improve the structure of the federal government.

1. The following government departments, including all agencies listed in parenthesis, shall be recognized as falling under the authority of the Secretary of Internal Affairs / Secretary of the Treasury :
  • Department of Social Welfare (Fritzcare, Social Security, Food & Nutrition Services, Veterans Benefits Administration, Veterans Health Administration, Health Resources & Services Administration, Indian Health Service, Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services, Administration on the Aging)
  • Department of Economic Development (Postal Service, Federal Aviation Administration, Bureau of the Census, Food & Drug Administration, Patent & Trademark Office, Federal Railroad Administration, Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Rural Utilities Service, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, Pension benefit Guarantee Corporation, Occupational Safety & Health Administration, Veterans Employment & Training Services, Civilian Radioactive Waste Management, International Trade Administration, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Mine Safety & Health Administration, Veterans Employment and Training Services, Bureau of Economic Analysis, Bureau of Industry & Security, Employee Benefits Security Administration)
  • Department of Education (Office of Federal Student Aid, Office of Elementary & Secondary Education, Office of Special Education & Rehabilitation, Employment & Training Administration, Office of Post-Secondary Education, Job Corps, Office of Innovation & Improvement, Office of Vocational & Adult Education, Institute of Education Sciences, Office of English Language Acquisition)
  • Department of Science & Technology (National Institute of Health, NASA, National Science Foundation, Energy Science, National Environmental Satellite, Data, & Information Services; Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy, Nuclear Energy, National Institute of Food & Agriculture, Atlasian Geological Survey, National Weather Service, Fossil Energy, National Institute of Standards & Technology, National Telecommunications & Information Administration, Agency for Healthcare Research & Quality, Center for Nutrition Policy & Promotion)
  • Department of Public Works (Federal Highway Administration, Federal Transit Administration, Amtrak, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Maritime Administration, Power Marketing Administration, Tennessee Valley Authority)
  • Department of Disaster Relief & Prevention (Nuclear Security Administration, Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, Coast Guard, FEMA, Office of Intelligence & Analysis, Directorate for Science & Technology, National Transportation Safety Board)
  • Department of Environmental Conservation & Land Management (Environmental Protection Agency, Environmental Management, Forest Service, Office of Oceanic & Atmospheric Research, Natural Resources Conservation Service, Bureau of Indian Affairs, National Park Service, Fish & Wildlife Service, Superfund, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, National Marine Fisheries Service, Office of Surface Mining Reclamation, National Ocean Service, Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Pipeline & Hazardous Materials Safety Assessment & Restoration Program)
  • Department of Treasury (Internal Revenue Service, Mint, Customs & Border Protection, Secret Service, Comptroller of the Currency, Bureau of Engraving & Printing, Financial Management Service, Office of Thrift Supervision, Bureau of the Public Debt)
  • Department of Community Development)
  • Department of Agriculture (Farm Service Agency, Foreign Agricultural Service, Agricultural Marketing Service, Food Safety & Inspection Service, Agricultural Research Service, Animal & Plant Health Inspection Service, National Agricultural Statistics Service)
  • Department of Culture (Smithsonian Institute, Library of Congress, Architect of the Capitol, National Cemetery Administration, Corporation for Public Broadcasting, National Archives, Institute of Museum & Library Services, National Endowment for the Arts, National Endowment for the Humanities, National Gallery of Art, Atlasian Battle Monuments Commission)
  • Independent Agencies: FDIC, NSA, CIA, Office of Personnel Management, Securities and Exchange Commission, Agency for International Development, Peace Corps, equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Commodity Futures Trading Commission, National Labor Relations Board, General Services Administration, Federal Trade Commission, Federal Housing Finance agency, Export-Import Bank of the United States, Consumer Product Safety Commission, Federal Election Commission)

2. The following government departments shall be recognized as falling under the authority of the Secretary of External Affairs / Secretary of the State:
  • Department of State
  • Department of Defense

3. The following government departments shall be recognized as falling under the authority of the Attorney General:
  • Department of Justice

4. The following federal agencies are hereby abolished:
  • Transportation Security Administration
  • Office of Insular Affairs
  • Millennium Challenge Corporation
  • Broadcasting Board of Governors
  • Office of Safe & Drug-free Schools
  • Legal Services Corporation
  • Federal Communications Commission
  • Federal Law Enforcement Training Center
  • Economic Development Administration
  • Neighborworks Atlasia
  • Small Business Administration
  • Office of Indian Education (to be merged with Bureau of Indian Affairs)
  • Office of the Special Trustee for Atlasian Indians (to be merged with Bureau of Indian Affairs)
  • Domestic Nuclear Detection Office (to be absorbed by Nuclear Security Administration)
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2013, 08:26:17 AM »
« Edited: July 15, 2013, 08:40:18 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies