SENATE BILL: ...Mental Health Reform Act of 2013 (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:41:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: ...Mental Health Reform Act of 2013 (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: ...Mental Health Reform Act of 2013 (Failed)  (Read 7503 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2013, 05:43:18 AM »

The amendment has been adopted.

The question is simple really. How do we expand support for the family members of mental health patients so as to reduce a tremendous disincentive regarding going to get treatment, that of finances?

I don't need a statistic to tell me this exists and it has served to create many of the problems I have to contront because of the environment it produces.

Doesn't finances isn't a problem, given Tricare?

What do you mean? Tricare is the military's program that we are phasing out and rolling into Fritzcare.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2013, 05:48:53 AM »

The amendment has been adopted.

The question is simple really. How do we expand support for the family members of mental health patients so as to reduce a tremendous disincentive regarding going to get treatment, that of finances?

I don't need a statistic to tell me this exists and it has served to create many of the problems I have to contront because of the environment it produces.

Doesn't finances isn't a problem, given Tricare?

What do you mean? Tricare is the military's program that we are phasing out and rolling into Fritzcare.

Sorry, always confused names. But, I mean, the costs for families of mental healthcare should already be covered under Fritzcare, no?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2013, 08:32:19 AM »

I don't know how much that provides for support for families, more or less whether it is adequate.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2013, 04:46:22 AM »

Fritzcare contains a list of things covered. IT may well be there but the list isn't big on detail or the exent to which anything is done.

My plan yesterday was to review some other legislative items and then hopefully get somewhere, possibly with the assistance of Superique who may or may not be back as of this time (I saw him on, but Nix said otherwise in another bill).
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2013, 11:50:26 AM »
« Edited: July 30, 2013, 11:57:18 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Only part of the Comprehensive Social Security Act:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2013, 01:22:51 AM »

I'm worried that this thing is getting out of control.

First principles... what is this thing designed to achieve? and what's the best way to do it?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2013, 01:43:20 AM »

I am tempted to file a motion to table. I don't think that we should allow an incomplete (or worse, effectively blank) bill to hit the Senate floor, much less occupy a slot for multiple weeks. Do either of you expect that you'll be able to flesh this out within the next couple of days?

Ha.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2013, 04:50:42 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2013, 05:01:47 AM »

I'm worried that this thing is getting out of control.

First principles... what is this thing designed to achieve? and what's the best way to do it?

What do you mean?

This is achieves just about everything I laid out in the my sponsor advocacy post:

And here is the outline that I created soon afterwards.

There as been steady building up towards that over that period. There were periods of slowness caused by elections and the Pacific stuff back in June, As well as my new computer quiting on May 2nd, the day after I posted this thread, after which it was working on and off until the Saturday during the June Elections when it quit permenently. Fortunately I am back on the old XP one now. It is difficutl to do research and stuff on a borrowed computer, especially when you got paranoid relatives who might think it is for them rather than some political simulation.

Of course there has also been a problem getting people to engage, even on tiny sub issues that I have focused attention, even going so far as to put them in in the topic header. Fortunately a big boon came from having Superique as SoIA.

Our last objective is to find some means of support for, improvement in the support for, the family members of mental health patients (especially in low income situations) so that putting bread on the table doesn't discourage someone ill from gettign treatment. That is dangerous, it is unheathly for everyone involved and I know from personal experience.

Do you have any ideas on the subject, Polnut? The CSS dances around it as you can see from the segement of it that I posted above, and there is no mention of it in Fritzcare. It doesn't necessarily have to be a welfare program, either.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2013, 05:07:27 AM »

It's also not like you have a connection to this effort already. Wink

I also want to thank the assistance of Secretary Polnut, and Former Senator Franzl who provided feedback on their respective real life county's systems, which though lacking in detailed substance, was informative to a great extent about the problem. We know from their feedback that this is a global problem and that people generall are lacking in awareness of available options and utilities, as much as they are unwilling to discuss the matter, not all that different from the situations we have here. Others were contacted as well, but I am not able to recall whether they replied or not and the VP can perhaps provide a fuller account of such feedback with regards to who all replied and provided information on this matter.

By the way, have you found out any more of that detail, since then?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2013, 07:11:58 AM »

I'm afraid I cannot add more detail.

Looking over this, I'm more comfortable than I was.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2013, 07:27:56 AM »
« Edited: July 31, 2013, 07:30:05 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Okay then forget Australia and forget mental health systems in general and so forth, just focus on the financial disincentive and how to work against that. The last piece of the puzzle and lets try not to break the bank here. Tongue
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2013, 08:36:46 AM »

The point is that Australia's mental health system is intrinsic to the national healthcare system, things such as, mental health plans to enable people to claim psychologists fees against medicare. So what does work is ensuring that it works in a way that is inter-linked with the established system.

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2013, 02:39:34 PM »

Okay then forget Australia and forget mental health systems in general and so forth, just focus on the financial disincentive and how to work against that. The last piece of the puzzle and lets try not to break the bank here. Tongue

Shouldn't mental healthcare be integrated into Fritzcare?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #114 on: August 01, 2013, 06:26:34 AM »

N ON O NO NO NO

Read my damn posts: Tongue
Our last objective is to find some means of support for, improvement in the support for, the family members of mental health patients (especially in low income situations) so that putting bread on the table doesn't discourage someone ill from gettign treatment. That is dangerous, it is unheathly for everyone involved and I know from personal experience.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2013, 07:33:12 AM »

I was going to just insert some text into the CSS to address this, but then I remembered I am suppose to be the conservative in all this mess, so I am now going for a much more complex system involving coordination with private non-profit groups and so forth.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2013, 09:52:40 AM »

The fact that no one has gone crazy trying to read this bill indicates, to me at least, that most of the senators here will not need to join Yankee and I in the crazy house. Kind of, well, disappointing... Wink
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2013, 11:25:13 AM »

I was going to just insert some text into the CSS to address this, but then I remembered I am suppose to be the conservative in all this mess, so I am now going for a much more complex system involving coordination with private non-profit groups and so forth.

We are talking about millions being wasted on silly burocracies to handle the funding of private institutions just because you supposed to be a conservative? I though we get rid of Tricare because of its complexity. I think that if you want this system to work, just keep inside the Fritzcare. Smiley
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2013, 12:36:29 PM »

We are talking about millions being wasted on silly burocracies to handle the funding of private institutions just because you supposed to be a conservative? I though we get rid of Tricare because of its complexity. I think that if you want this system to work, just keep inside the Fritzcare. Smiley

At this point I will say pretty much any damn thing in this thread to get someone to pay attention. Tongue

Also I thinking of using it to augment any federal resources provided, just like I did with the infrastructure.

I would suggest lookign at the Reorganization Act just signed into. I used its agencies, which Nix drew up. Fritzcare as an agency is seperate from most of the things being done here.

Also welfare itself isn't in Fritzcare. Part of it is in the Comprehesnive Social Security Act and the rest is strewn out of over several other bills, though the most were collected into that killer piece ofl egislation.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #119 on: August 03, 2013, 06:42:52 AM »

You know, as I complete this bill, we find that it is more and more dependent on other bills that haven't passed yet.

Considering the Basic Income thing, would it be possible to ensure that this problem is addressed as a part of that, whilst just leaving the section in question as blank or tbd by future legislation?

Thoughts? Mr. President what about you?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2013, 07:28:18 AM »

Alternatively, this is the beginnings of what could be an in legislation approach.

Section IV: Support for Family Members
1. In order to provide sufficient support for the dependents of mental health patients so as to reduced the the discentive of financial impact on the decision to seek treatment for an illness, the office of Social Security shall coordinate with the Agency for Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services and the Fritzcare agency to ensure that all those patients who are the primary source of income for their dependents received the necessary level of financial assistance for the course of their work/income disruption.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #121 on: August 03, 2013, 08:18:01 AM »

I like that but aren't you justifying the article? At least at the first 2.5  lines.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #122 on: August 03, 2013, 10:29:22 AM »

It establishes the goal for the agenies to attain. The why behind what it is in the last half, which will guide the agencies as they are structuring the system.

It is a less than ideal way to do it though, in general. I would pefer to set a monetary level to be attained and then have them work towards that goal either amongst the agencies and with possibly with the assistance of community organizations and so forth.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2013, 09:46:10 AM »

It is most certainly a rather confusing issue to be sure because we have all these bills being considered that interact with one another, and the smart way to do it would be cross-referencing so as to acheive a level of integration so as to promote maximum effectiveness. I think you would agree with that, Mr. President.

That said, I have an acute sense of time on this thing and I would like to it get it done as soon as possible. So I think I will modify the previous text that I posted, after which I will then offer that along with some tweaks elsewhere in the bill and then we can wrap this up this week.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2013, 12:01:53 PM »

Alternatively, this is the beginnings of what could be an in legislation approach.

Section IV: Support for Family Members
1. In order to provide sufficient support for the dependents of mental health patients so as to reduced the the discentive of financial impact on the decision to seek treatment for an illness, the office of Social Security shall coordinate with the Agency for Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services and the Fritzcare agency to ensure that all those patients who are the primary source of income for their dependents receive the necessary level of financial assistance for the course of their work/income disruption.

2. The level of assistance will be determined by the amount of the decline in income below the appropriate level proscribed in the "Basic Income Initiative Act" for the household in question, so to ensure such minimum is maintained and thereby acheiving the objectives established in clause 1.

The current text is right up at the character limit so this may need to be condesnsed down somewhat. I also want to make some minor alterations elsewhere and tighten up the wording of this, before it is offered. My hope is to do that tomorrow.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies