SENATE BILL: ...Mental Health Reform Act of 2013 (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:48:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: ...Mental Health Reform Act of 2013 (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: ...Mental Health Reform Act of 2013 (Failed)  (Read 7535 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« on: July 31, 2013, 01:22:51 AM »

I'm worried that this thing is getting out of control.

First principles... what is this thing designed to achieve? and what's the best way to do it?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 07:11:58 AM »

I'm afraid I cannot add more detail.

Looking over this, I'm more comfortable than I was.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 08:36:46 AM »

The point is that Australia's mental health system is intrinsic to the national healthcare system, things such as, mental health plans to enable people to claim psychologists fees against medicare. So what does work is ensuring that it works in a way that is inter-linked with the established system.

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 08:30:56 AM »

Aye
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 06:17:41 PM »

This is a difficult vote for me... on one hand, this is a Bill with promise, but I think quite expensive and over-complex in its governance. I erred on the side of supporting it because I thought like Senator Max, something is better than nothing.

But I do admit over recent days become less and less sure about my vote.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 08:31:09 PM »

For the record, I can confirm that I have had discussions with President on this Bill, and I detected no personal ill-will towards Senator Yankee from him.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 08:58:32 AM »

I will be casting my vote in the next 12 hours... It's going to be very hard.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 09:06:06 PM »

It is because of my background and experience on this issue, as to why this is such a difficult vote.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 11:27:38 PM »

I will be talking more to the president as soon as possible. I appreciate the time, effort and work that has gone into this. I think both that element, the intention of the Bill and considering the reasoning for the president's veto.

This Bill deserves that serious consideration, my original 'aye' was not an easy vote, and this is doubly as difficult. I was elected to make these calls, but I will be taking appropriate time to talk with those engaged and my constituents.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 09:51:51 PM »

I have been working through this decision.

It has taken a long time, and I apologise for that. But because this issue matters a lot to me, it deserved as much time as it required until I was comfortable with the decision I have made.

I want to stress that I take seriously all of the arguments outlined by those in favour of this Bill and those against it. I acknowledge that my input in this thread has been limited, but I have outlined some of my concerns in private.

I was not interested in internal political games and posturing, I do not have any time, and let me repeat that, any time for political animus being a determining factor in such an important issue. My record on this issue stands.

Fundamentally, I believe this Bill is expensive, although the cost is worth it. This Bill creates a structure that I feel is too complex and too rigid. From my knowledge as a regional Governor and legislator, as well as president, flexibility is important.

I therefore have decided to vote nay on the override and support the president's decision to veto this Bill.

I want to commend the work undertaken by Senator Yankee and former Vice President Duke. Their diligence and commitment to this issue is unquestionable. However, that alone does not justify my supporting a Bill that I admit was a borderline vote in the first instance. I very much doubt that my concerns would have been dealt with in full.

I do not want this issue to go away, if interested, although I understand why they would resist this offer, I want to work with the Bill's advocates to re-build this Bill on the great research base developed by Senator Yankee and Duke. It deserves to be used and I stand ready to help. I am just disappointed that I was not in the Senate at the time this Bill was being developed.

And, knowing the nature of this place at this time, I stand ready for whatever personal or political consequences now face me for this decision. This issue matters too much for me to have a divisive Bill be presented to the people. I stand by my decision and I believe this was necessary and it was once of the most difficult decision I have made in my nearly seven years in Atlasian public life.

'ave at it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies