Quinnipiac Poll: Support for gay marriage drops considerably + terror stuff
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:18:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Quinnipiac Poll: Support for gay marriage drops considerably + terror stuff
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Quinnipiac Poll: Support for gay marriage drops considerably + terror stuff  (Read 2173 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 03:09:37 PM »
« edited: May 02, 2013, 03:11:17 PM by 31: A New Bushie »

Hopefully, it's just an outlier. Even with proper weighting, you can get unlucky and fall on conservative people more than supposed.

I think it probably is an outlier, but you can't really dismiss it until you get two or three more that show what the previous polls suggest.

And, as I mentioned before Americans are very fickle when it comes to voting.   The majority of those surveyed probably do lick their finger and hold it up to the wind.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 03:16:57 PM »

over the past weeks:

In general, do you support or oppose same-sex marriage?

45% support
47% oppose

was 50-41 support in their April poll.

People were probably all like, "sure, why not, let 'em marry".... "Oh wait?!  They're actually gonna do it?!?"  Screw 'dem fags... not real 'Muricans if ya ask me!  Weren't dem brown Boston bombin' fellers a couple a homos?"

Sad but true

Probably not true.  Just because someone says no to same sex marriage during a random phone poll doesn't mean they are a ignorant bigoted hick.  I doubt my mother would be for same sex marriage.  There were no homosexuals in her community growing up and she was pretty old before the idea that being gay was "normal" was even suggested to her.  Having said that she would never vote for someone purely because they were against same sex marriage.  She also would not be motivated to go to the polls to vote against same sex marriage.  If someone asked her what she thought of same sex marriage a few years ago she would give you a very confused look... the same look the vast majority of the planet would give you today.

I'm just having fun. 

I question your idea of fun when it involves generalizing most of America as ignorant rednecks, which in itself implies that you view yourself as intellectually superior to them. Smiley
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 03:42:59 PM »

over the past weeks:

In general, do you support or oppose same-sex marriage?

45% support
47% oppose

was 50-41 support in their April poll.

People were probably all like, "sure, why not, let 'em marry".... "Oh wait?!  They're actually gonna do it?!?"  Screw 'dem fags... not real 'Muricans if ya ask me!  Weren't dem brown Boston bombin' fellers a couple a homos?"

Sad but true

Probably not true.  Just because someone says no to same sex marriage during a random phone poll doesn't mean they are a ignorant bigoted hick.  I doubt my mother would be for same sex marriage.  There were no homosexuals in her community growing up and she was pretty old before the idea that being gay was "normal" was even suggested to her.  Having said that she would never vote for someone purely because they were against same sex marriage.  She also would not be motivated to go to the polls to vote against same sex marriage.  If someone asked her what she thought of same sex marriage a few years ago she would give you a very confused look... the same look the vast majority of the planet would give you today.

I'm just having fun. 

I question your idea of fun when it involves generalizing most of America as ignorant rednecks, which in itself implies that you view yourself as intellectually superior to them. Smiley

No... "fun" is playing a character.  I was playing the "arrogant liberal"... which I can be, but not to THAT extent, and not all the time.  You see? 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 05:19:07 PM »

I think it probably is an outlier, but you can't really dismiss it until you get two or three more that show what the previous polls suggest.
Why not just use the two or three polls immediately preceding this one?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 08:20:15 PM »

The shift is well beyond the margin of error, it's not a fluke.

So my reaction is: WHAT THE F**K?!?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2013, 08:29:42 PM »

Why not just use the two or three polls immediately preceding this one?

You could use the two or three previous polls, but the "yeah, but..." will stick around and until we get more polls to prove this is a fluke and not the beginning of a trend, those "yeah, but's" will always be there.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2013, 12:47:21 PM »

The shift is well beyond the margin of error, it's not a fluke.

So my reaction is: WHAT THE F**K?!?

Oh, God.

You never heard than the margin of error was the probability than the results are inside the margin, 95% of time? We could be in the other 5%.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2013, 12:53:02 PM »

The discussion returning reignited opposition, but a Supreme Court ruling against it would completely kill its polling. 

I'd say reality is both strong support and opposition are in the low to mid 30s and the rest is all soft.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2013, 07:38:34 PM »

Just one poll. Could just be an outlier, otherwise people have become more bigoted than in the past.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies