Reagan the Movie coming to cinemas next year! :D
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:12:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Reagan the Movie coming to cinemas next year! :D
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Reagan the Movie coming to cinemas next year! :D  (Read 4283 times)
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2013, 09:44:30 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but I'm already excited for this movie! If Lincoln is anything to go by, this should be AWESOME!

Read more about the film here:
http://reaganfilm.com/
http://www.facebook.com/reaganmovie?fref=ts
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 10:03:17 PM »

Why do I get the impression that it's being made by the geniuses behind Left Behind?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 10:04:29 PM »

Why do I get the impression that it's being made by the geniuses behind Left Behind?

It reminded me of the awful Atlas Shrugged movies. The only thing that I want to come out of this is an AV Club review.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 10:05:59 PM »

It reminded me of the awful Atlas Shrugged movies. The only thing that I want to come out of this is an AV Club review.

I haven't seen Left Behind, what's it like?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 10:15:59 PM »

I can't wait to not see this.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 10:17:52 PM »

I'll have to avoid the screening rooms.  The floors are gonna be all sticky...
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 10:20:50 PM »

I haven't seen Left Behind, what's it like?

It's very "movie of the week"-y. I will admit the Nicolae Carpathia scene near the end is very chilling.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 10:50:36 PM »

I'm not sure this film will have that great of a budget, as the site doesn't even look that well put together and is very short on details.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 10:52:30 PM »

I'll have to avoid the screening rooms.  The floors are gonna be all sticky...

LOL award?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 11:18:03 PM »

This probably won't get made.  It certainly won't have a wide release in movie theaters.  It might be a good scheme to get a conservative billionaire or tea partiers on kickstarter to front you a bunch of cash to make an awful movie.  But, more than likely, this won't get off the ground.

Also, covering someone's entire life is a terrible idea for a feature length movie.  There's probably an interesting film to be made about Ronald Reagan.  But, a laudatory biopic about his entire life sounds extremely boring.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 12:49:34 AM »
« Edited: May 03, 2013, 12:52:18 AM by King »

A Reagan biopic would be incredibly interesting, considering the shifts he went through ideologically and career wise and into Alzheimers.  But only if it's not made either by people who worship him as a god or view him as satan incarnate.

From the looks of it, that's not the case here.

Like Lincoln, the good Reagan movie will probably have a 2130 release date.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 01:36:08 AM »

A Reagan biopic would be incredibly interesting, considering the shifts he went through ideologically and career wise and into Alzheimers.  But only if it's not made either by people who worship him as a god or view him as satan incarnate.

Reminds me of how Tim Rice loved Eva Peron but Andrew Lloyd Webber hated her. I'd love to write a musical about Reagan; he was awful Tongue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 01:48:56 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I am extremely excited for this!
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 03:42:17 AM »

Will Reagan the Movie go straight to DVD and come in a box set with Atlas Shrugged and 2016: Obama's America?

It amazes me that if conservatives want to create alternatives to the liberalism of Hollywood film, they don't do it with better production values. Unfortunately, they've completely shut themselves out of the creative class. The Koch brothers could easily finance a sweeping epic biopic about Reagan. But who would direct it? Who would star in it?

It is sort of ironic that there has never been a major motion picture made about the president who used to be in motion pictures.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 03:54:27 AM »

If Lincoln is anything to go by, this should be AWESOME!

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Steven Spielberg and Daniel Day Lewis are not a part of this.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 04:22:48 AM »

It’s 1980. President Carter in collusion with the Muslim Brotherhood laughs at a suggestion by Sgt John Everyman, Chief of Getting Things Done, to work on a deal to release the Iranian hostages. Sgt Everyman is disgusted and promises his cancer ridden daughter that he will seek vengeance for Democratic mishandling of the crisis. Luckily, Reagan is elected president in a landslide. Reagan and Everyman were buddies back in ‘Nam so Everyman knows he can trust him.

After saving Reagan’s busty wife Nancy from an attack by Muslims who had poisoned her tarot cards, the two set off to make things right in America battling against Tipp O’Neill, the deadly IRA backed terrorist Democratic chief of the Muslim Overlords Ninja Deadly Assassin League Extreme (M.O.N.D.A.L.E) and Reagan’s estranged son Ron Jr from building a device to block out the sun so it can never be ‘morning in America’ again. Everyman fights back against M.O.N.D.A.L.E’s goons but is heartbroken when O’Neill captures his daughter and gives her treatment for cancer in a public hospital where she will surely die after being injected by the deadly virus SocialAIDS.

Just in time, Reagan bursts in with his new sidekick Gorby, who warns O’Neill of the terrible effect SocialAIDS has had on Russia. Gorby and Reagan free Everyman’s daughter with the help of a local televangelist who was jailed for celebrating Christmas and flee to a private hospital. Everyman disables Ron Jr and then faces O’Neill down in the hospital canteen where after a series of blows, O’Neill drops down dead. Everyman finds on his possession a membership card proving that O’Neil was nothing more than a dirty Muslim Communist. Afterwards, Reagan announces he is stepping down. The whole nation is heartbroken wishing that he could be their President for ever and as a final act of gratitude, Sgt Everyman and his ‘Nam buddies blast an image of Reagan on the side of Mt Rushmore.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 07:43:43 AM »

If Lincoln is anything to go by, this should be AWESOME!

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Steven Spielberg and Daniel Day Lewis are not a part of this.

Of course not, they are busy doing Obama.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 09:01:51 AM »

I like the part at the end where he sells weapons to the Iranians. A double agent President?!!! Never saw it coming.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 10:37:02 AM »
« Edited: May 03, 2013, 10:42:54 AM by Stranger in a strange land »

Reminds me of how Tim Rice loved Eva Peron but Andrew Lloyd Webber hated her. I'd love to write a musical about Reagan; he was awful Tongue

To be fair, when Andrew Lloyd Weber wrote his musical, the only book in English about Eva Peron  had been written by somebody who hated her, so he's not entirely to blame.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 10:41:38 AM »

It’s 1980. President Carter in collusion with the Muslim Brotherhood laughs at a suggestion by Sgt John Everyman, Chief of Getting Things Done, to work on a deal to release the Iranian hostages. Sgt Everyman is disgusted and promises his cancer ridden daughter that he will seek vengeance for Democratic mishandling of the crisis. Luckily, Reagan is elected president in a landslide. Reagan and Everyman were buddies back in ‘Nam so Everyman knows he can trust him.

After saving Reagan’s busty wife Nancy from an attack by Muslims who had poisoned her tarot cards, the two set off to make things right in America battling against Tipp O’Neill, the deadly IRA backed terrorist Democratic chief of the Muslim Overlords Ninja Deadly Assassin League Extreme (M.O.N.D.A.L.E) and Reagan’s estranged son Ron Jr from building a device to block out the sun so it can never be ‘morning in America’ again. Everyman fights back against M.O.N.D.A.L.E’s goons but is heartbroken when O’Neill captures his daughter and gives her treatment for cancer in a public hospital where she will surely die after being injected by the deadly virus SocialAIDS.

Just in time, Reagan bursts in with his new sidekick Gorby, who warns O’Neill of the terrible effect SocialAIDS has had on Russia. Gorby and Reagan free Everyman’s daughter with the help of a local televangelist who was jailed for celebrating Christmas and flee to a private hospital. Everyman disables Ron Jr and then faces O’Neill down in the hospital canteen where after a series of blows, O’Neill drops down dead. Everyman finds on his possession a membership card proving that O’Neil was nothing more than a dirty Muslim Communist. Afterwards, Reagan announces he is stepping down. The whole nation is heartbroken wishing that he could be their President for ever and as a final act of gratitude, Sgt Everyman and his ‘Nam buddies blast an image of Reagan on the side of Mt Rushmore.

Love it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 10:57:02 AM »

There's the opportunity to make a sweeping epic of a film, but I don't know if this is it.
Link
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 12:39:54 PM »

The Koch brothers could easily finance a sweeping epic biopic about Reagan.

They would have to include the fact he was a democrat, divorced, headed a union, was for gun control, ran up a massive debt, etc.  There is no way any kind of decent Reagan movie would further their cause in 2013.  They would have to make it the Myth of Reagan a Fictional Tale.  If they made it a propaganda piece it will be panned and flop.  You can't make a profitable "epic" that you can only sell to American right wingers.  So many movies depend of global box office receipts, DVD/Blu Ray sales, and pay per view to make their out sized returns.  Creating a movie that from the beginning is going to have a tiny fraction of those things is not a wise financial move.  I can't see the Koch brothers wasting money like that.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 12:58:49 PM »

But who would direct it? Who would star in it?

My guess is only really strong liberal types like Matt Damon would really turn down a role in a Reagan movie if offered market value.  It's being made by people behind FOX Faith films though.

The reason the production values are so cheap on these kind of Christian Right films is because their gross is usually only tops around $35 mil with their audience... over one weekend.  It's only profitable if the budget is $10 mil or so.

A broadbase appeal Reagan movie would probably make $150 mil at the box office, but there's no one who is willing to fund a movie about Reagan that isn't factual and has an arc, because a story arc requires things to go bad for awhile for the main character and for him to not always be right in every decision.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 01:00:12 PM »

I suppose it's a propaganda movie.
A real movie on Reagan, showing the real heartless prick he was would create the anger of the brainless cultists.
Link
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 01:07:45 PM »

I suppose it's a propaganda movie.
A real movie on Reagan, showing the real heartless prick he was would create the anger of the brainless cultists.

I wonder if they will include his racist speech about "welfare queens."  Knowing the audience they probably won't even realize it is racist or fiction.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies