Hillary Clinton is bisexual, apparently.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:41:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Hillary Clinton is bisexual, apparently.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Hillary Clinton is bisexual, apparently.  (Read 11909 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2013, 04:11:47 PM »

I refuse to believe that Americans in this day and age would vote against a candidate because he or she is gay.

So Republicans aren't Americans? Tongue

More seriously, the people likely to not vote for a lesbian on that basis alone weren't likely to vote for Hillary in 2016 anyway.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2013, 04:18:49 PM »

Believe it or not the National Enquirer unlike the other rags of its ilk, is highly reliable and accurate, and has a team of lawyers that everything has to be vetted through, because without the goods, the risk of a libel action is just too great.

Isn't a successful libel suit concerning a public figure virtually impossible to win? You have to show actual malice. "Yeah, maybe there's no proof, but we believed it was true and didn't mean anything bad."
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2013, 04:25:11 PM »

Believe it or not the National Enquirer unlike the other rags of its ilk, is highly reliable and accurate, and has a team of lawyers that everything has to be vetted through, because without the goods, the risk of a libel action is just too great.

Isn't a successful libel suit concerning a public figure virtually impossible to win? You have to show actual malice. "Yeah, maybe there's no proof, but we believed it was true and didn't mean anything bad."
Political figures can argue that the accusation undermined their career.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2013, 05:28:29 PM »

Link's dead.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2013, 05:33:55 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2013, 05:38:11 PM by Gravis Marketing »

Political figures can argue that the accusation undermined their career.

Proof of harm alone won't justify a libel case brought by a public figure, at least not in the U.S.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2013, 06:16:30 PM »

If you just make something up with no backup, and it turns out to be false, that's malice. And while Hillary is clearly a public figure, sometimes it is less clear. Anyway, the rag has a team of lawyers, which it uses, and it's  highly credible. They bagged John Edwards, and I can't ever recall an instance where they had to retract.

I don't think the lesbian thing will hurt Hillary much (folks are more tolerant of lesbians than gays for reasons I understand but find personally bizarre). The Libyan thing however might (at least it has more potential to do so). We shall see.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2013, 10:53:33 PM »

Aren't all women bisexual though?

Just the hot ones...and just in my head.
Benj

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2013, 11:39:33 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2013, 11:41:45 PM by Benj »

If you just make something up with no backup, and it turns out to be false, that's malice. And while Hillary is clearly a public figure, sometimes it is less clear. Anyway, the rag has a team of lawyers, which it uses, and it's  highly credible. They bagged John Edwards, and I can't ever recall an instance where they had to retract.

I don't think the lesbian thing will hurt Hillary much (folks are more tolerant of lesbians than gays for reasons I understand but find personally bizarre). The Libyan thing however might (at least it has more potential to do so). We shall see.

Why are you talking about this as if it were the National Enquirer?* They had nothing to do with this "story", which was reported briefly by the Daily Mail in Britain before they apparently retracted without notice by deleting the webpage. Yes, the Daily Mail claimed the National Enquirer was behind the story, but the Enquirer itself has not reported anything.

*Which is sometimes right but also makes stuff up a lot--though I don't think they care enough about politics to make stories up about politicians.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2013, 12:43:35 AM »

I can't imagine literally any reason why she would reveal this even if it were true.

Yeah, sounds like a hoax. Anyway if it's true, that means she's probably not running.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2013, 12:57:17 AM »

Oh no, who will rescue Zelda now?

As for Hillary being bi....am I the only person who would be more likely to vote for her if she did come out?  I would assume most people who would vote for a non-straight would already be voting for her if given the chance.  Coming out would show integrity, strength and honesty...things seriously lacking in most political types.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2013, 01:03:48 AM »

As for Hillary being bi....am I the only person who would be more likely to vote for her if she did come out?  I would assume most people who would vote for a non-straight would already be voting for her if given the chance.  Coming out would show integrity, strength and honesty...things seriously lacking in most political types.

Very true. Though this still wouldn't be enough to make me support her in the primaries unless the field is really weak, and I would support her in the general regardless.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2013, 03:06:24 AM »

Here’s the thing about being bisexual. If you meet the right person and settle down with them it’s either going to be a man or a woman. So you cease outwardly to appear to be bisexual and instead appear to be gay or straight, even though you are still bisexual. That surprisingly is something that a lot of people would have difficulty understanding. ‘She’s bisexual, why is she married to Bill, why isn’t she with a woman?’ etc. If it is true, she’s even more smashing. So good luck to her.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2013, 06:27:30 AM »

If you just make something up with no backup, and it turns out to be false, that's malice.

I am hesitant to argue law with an experienced lawyer, having only taken one class related to this, but I believe malice carries the additional implication of intent to harm someone. Newspapers can always fall back on the claim that they reported this horrible story, which they believed to be true, because they felt it was newsworthy. And if it's proven they were making it up, well, then they can say they were providing entertainment. It's very possible the Enquirer uses those lawyers to vet stories about private individuals or to make sure they don't cross some excessive line with celebrities, but almost anyone whose names in the Enquirer we'd recognize couldn't win a libel suit.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2013, 09:34:10 AM »
« Edited: May 09, 2013, 09:36:56 AM by Bacon King »

I think this calls for a Hilldawg tabloid montage!

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2013, 06:05:22 PM »

I wish there was still a print version of the Weekly World News.  It made supermarket checkout lines far more entertaining.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies