NE1 Stem Cell Research Expansion Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:48:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE1 Stem Cell Research Expansion Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE1 Stem Cell Research Expansion Act  (Read 1069 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 05, 2013, 04:21:31 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Governor Scott

Governor, you have 24 hours to advocate for this. Debate time shall last 72 hours.
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 07:54:20 AM »

I approve of this bill.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 07:54:51 AM »

Embryonic stem cells are known by most scientists and scholars to contain potential cures for various diseases, such as spinal cord injuries, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, heart disease, genetic disorders, immunity disorders, and many other things.  This is because stem cells can divide and differentiate into numerous types of cells that can be used to self-renew and produced more cells for where they are needed.  Scientists see almost infinite value in the use of embryonic stem cell research to understand human development so that they can come up with new, effective cures for diseases and abnormalities.

However, actual cures are years away, and that is why I believe we ought to invest more in this research.  Committing more to it can only get us closer to substantially improving quality of life, and this legislation will do just that.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 09:18:10 AM »

I support this. Stem cell research is an extremely important important form of research that can lead to the cure of many diseases, so I support government funding for it and oppose any attempts to regulate it.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 06:58:49 PM »

In the annual reporting at point 3 of the bill, is the department of health checking for ethics in research.

I'm ok for research on diseases but I would not want to vote for something that opens the door to all kinds of things about cloning and creating frankenstein organisms. Wink
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 07:02:54 PM »

In the annual reporting at point 3 of the bill, is the department of health checking for ethics in research.

I'm ok for research on diseases but I would not want to vote for something that opens the door to all kinds of things about cloning and creating frankenstein organisms. Wink

Yes, of course.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 03:11:48 PM »

Currently, the Northeast spends 13 billion on Health Research. I'm not opposed to the idea of this bill, but it seems unnecessary to cordon off a large chunk of that 13 billion for a specific type of research.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 06:05:33 PM »

Currently, the Northeast spends 13 billion on Health Research. I'm not opposed to the idea of this bill, but it seems unnecessary to cordon off a large chunk of that 13 billion for a specific type of research.

Four trillion dollars a year is spent on stem cell research, so I think the current amount is modest, especially since the last time the federal government spent on this was 2007.  I'm willing to consider smaller amounts for the sake of fiscal responsibility, though.  Do you have a different proposal?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 04:50:16 AM »

Four trillion dollars a year is spent on stem cell research, so I think the current amount is modest, especially since the last time the federal government spent on this was 2007.  I'm willing to consider smaller amounts for the sake of fiscal responsibility, though.  Do you have a different proposal?

Just from a browsing of the web, it seems that the government is spending very little (maybe 100 million) on stem cell research so this would be a very significant increase. Once again I must stress that I am not opposed to funding this research. My problem is that by spending 4 billion specifically on stem cell research, we're taking 4 billion away from all other research. My solution would be just to legalise all stem cell research, but have individual projects apply for grants in the same way as all other projects.

Here would be my bill

Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 12:02:50 PM »

I don't approve, we should define the values here, if someone over there favors one thing over another you could get very little funds for something.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 01:53:19 PM »

I also don't approve for the reason Snowball stated.  I'd be open to developing a regional grant program for other science projects, but I think stem cell research should be a primary focus right now, as it is the best field in which scientists can use their findings for the development of new medicines and cures.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 03:00:05 PM »

My problem here is that this 4 billion is, essentially, an arbitrary amount decided by non experts (that is to say us). We are basically saying that stem cell research sounds good (not that I disagree) and that 4 billion sounds about right. I think it would be better if we let qualified scientists decide how to spend our research budget, especially as its so big, not base it on gut feeling.

Also, this bill would effectively be taking away 4 billion from other projects, something which I'm not comfortable with.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 03:09:08 PM »

This isn't based on gut feeling.  Unless new evidence shows otherwise, stem cell research is most likely to help us find the cures for all or most diseases and abnormalities.  As I said, I'd be willing to dedicate other portions of the budget to different science grants, but I insist that the Assembly pass this so we can establish a good starting point.  If $4 billion is too much or too little, I'm also willing to settle on a different amount, but I don't believe that amount is automatically bad because 'we're not experts.'
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 08:30:52 PM »

I am proposing an amendment about the scope of the funds. In section 2 number 2, I struck the 4 billion and bolded a 2.

4 billion out of 13 for all health research is 30%. 2 billion is 15%.

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 08:36:47 PM »

Friendly... I will settle for this.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 07:14:54 AM »

I'm still not completely sold on this bill, but I think it would be unreasonable for me to try and get anything more out of the bill.

If no one has any other concerns/amendments etc, I'll open voting at about 4 o clock Eastern time.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 04:33:39 PM »

Voting is now open. Voting shall last 48 hours or until all representatives have voted.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 04:34:27 PM »

Abstain
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 05:01:55 PM »

AYE
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 05:32:20 PM »

Aye.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 07:03:18 PM »

Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 06:15:54 AM »

Aye
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 10:09:04 PM »

aye
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2013, 04:34:56 PM »

With three votes in favour, one abstention and one representative not voting, this bill has passed.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 07:55:14 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies