Update Season VII: "The OK Corral"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:03:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update Season VII: "The OK Corral"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 80
Author Topic: Update Season VII: "The OK Corral"  (Read 171922 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: May 23, 2013, 01:36:45 PM »

This is what 3 oz of fish, 3 oz of beef, and 3 oz of chicken looks like:

That's still a good amount for a meal.
It's not a good amount if that's all you're eating. I don't want to get into a big debate about what Bushie or people in general should be eating. There are countless opinions on the matter, even among professionals. But at three ounces, you're making meat a small part of a meal rather than the main course. And that seems reasonable to me as long as you're not a professional athlete who needs an enormous amount of protein. It's all you're getting with a fast food meal already.
I mentioned this suggestion before, but I want to repeat it: Bushie, try lentils. You can get a bag at Wal-Mart for less than a dollar, so even if you don't like them, you're not out much. All you have to do is boil them for 15 minutes and they're good to go. Add a little salt or onion or olive oil for flavor. They're very filling and good for you.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1026 on: May 23, 2013, 01:45:56 PM »

Accompanied by a salad and/or a veggie, even one serving of white rice (1/2 cup, 160 calories) along with these sized meat/fish portions should make you comfortable.

What the heck?  Guys that's just totally unrealistic.  Nobody would be 'comfortable' eating like that, unless of course they ate every two hours.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1027 on: May 23, 2013, 02:20:02 PM »

bushie wants to lose weight by eating the same amount of the same crap he eats now and not exercising.

good luck with that!
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1028 on: May 23, 2013, 02:26:03 PM »

2000 calories is definitely better than fine... however keeping to that level requires some detailed counting and discipline in what you eat, every day.

I would like to stay within the 1800-2200 range.  Anything under 1800 and I risk not eating enough, especially for a man my size.  I don't want to go over 2200 very often, but if I can stay within the 1800-2200 range I'll be in good shape.

How do you propose to align your eating to these numbers?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1029 on: May 23, 2013, 02:35:21 PM »

It's not a good amount if that's all you're eating.

Well, yeah, I thought that was implied/the dietician had explained as much. Then again, Bushie thinks three sausages and mustard is a decent dinner, so you never know...
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1030 on: May 23, 2013, 02:49:24 PM »

A man your size? Dude, aren't you like 5' 7"? You're not a big guy. You're only fat. You don't need 2500 calories a day. If you want to lose weight, you're going to have to be hungry sometimes. You're going to have to change what you're eating and change your life.

If you're unwilling to do that, then just don't worry about it and stay as you are. No need for us to waste time talking about it if you honestly have no intention to do it, which, given your statements, you have no intention to actually lose weight. You just seem to be under the impression you'll magically lose weight if you talk a lot about it and drive 25 miles to a dietician once in a while.

Eating the same crap you eat now and casually exercising once a week will get you nowhere. You won't get in the peace corps. You can mock me and call me a comedian, but its the cold, hard truth and I'd bet you anything I have I'm right.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1031 on: May 23, 2013, 02:50:21 PM »

It's not a good amount if that's all you're eating.

Well, yeah, I thought that was implied/the dietician had explained as much. Then again, Bushie thinks three sausages and mustard is a decent dinner, so you never know...

He already said he doesn't like vegetables, so I really don't see how this diet is anymore real than anything else he's thought about doing during his life. His weight will fluctuate between 265-275 until he starts the march to 300. It's like a stock in this market.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1032 on: May 23, 2013, 02:55:06 PM »

Guys, every thing we need to know about his desire to get his act together can be seen in his effort to trick his walking app by turning it on in his car.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1033 on: May 23, 2013, 03:01:15 PM »

Yeah, and it's really frustrating. I'd be okay if he was actually concerned, but he's clearly not, so I shouldn't be either. I'll just let him tell his tales about the peace corps and such and enjoy the show. This is all fiction after all.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #1034 on: May 23, 2013, 03:44:53 PM »

How do you not like vegetables are you 6 years old. Just eat them till you like them. If you eat a salad for a week or so you will start to get use to it and might just like it. Just make a simple salad, Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, cucumber. You could even add a little fruit to it to make it sweeter, mandarin oranges are good. Just get NO FAT low calorie dressing.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1035 on: May 23, 2013, 04:05:43 PM »

How do you not like vegetables are you 6 years old. Just eat them till you like them. If you eat a salad for a week or so you will start to get use to it and might just like it. Just make a simple salad, Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, cucumber. You could even add a little fruit to it to make it sweeter, mandarin oranges are good. Just get NO FAT low calorie dressing.

I do like some vegetables.  I like Green Beans, Green Peas, Corn, Lettuce, Pickles, Carrots.  I can eat a salad every once in a while, as long as there are no tomatoes or onions.

When I do eat a salad, I have NO dressing.  To me, the dressing negates the health benefits of the salad.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1036 on: May 23, 2013, 04:10:25 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2013, 04:12:26 PM by Lief »

When I do eat a salad, I have NO dressing.  To me, the dressing negates the health benefits of the salad.

Goddammit Bushie.

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1037 on: May 23, 2013, 04:12:57 PM »

Yeah, and it's really frustrating. I'd be okay if he was actually concerned, but he's clearly not, so I shouldn't be either. I'll just let him tell his tales about the peace corps and such and enjoy the show. This is all fiction after all.

I'll be the first to admit that my attitude towards this needs to change and it is slowly changing.  I can't just flip a switch.  I am slowly, but surely, adjusting my attitude.  I know I'll lose weight.  I'll eat the things I should, and I'll start walking consistently.  As the dietitian said yesterday, I can't and shouldn't change all my habits at one time.  I should not throw everything in the fridge away.  The last thing I want and need is burn out.  I am not beginning the march to 300, instead I am beginning the initial descent to 250 first, then lower after that, I am already down to 270, from 275.  I'll be fine, folks.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1038 on: May 23, 2013, 04:13:08 PM »

I've been reading classic Update lately. Let's relive some great stuff that we might have forgotten.

In this installment, our hero is looking for a job. He's already failed out of two call centers, so he's trying to avoid that career path. Luckily, he has something!

I've got two job possibilities to throw your way.  So get your judging hats on and here we go.  I will say up front that neither of these are call centers or customer service.  I will type the ad verbatim as it is in the Sunday paper.

1) Attention $16.36 to start. Local Co. in Norman area expanding. Several positions available. No experience necessary. We offer full and part time training. Rapid advancement. Call xxx-xxxx after 9 AM. Interview Monday Only.

2) Coca-Cola - Great Plains Coca-Cola Bottling Co accepting applications for:  Merchandisers PT & FT Day shifts must be available to work between the hours of 5a & 5p all days of week.  Drug and Tobacco free environment. Applicant must pass pre-emloyment drug screen, have clean criminal history, and pass a physical.  Apply M-F 9a-3p at 600 N. May or online at www.greatplainscocacola.com.

So he has the option of either stocking vending machines for Coca-Cola or answering this ad that doesn't even say what the job is. Everyone tells him that the obvious scam is obvious, and our hero agrees, but he just needs to make sure that he leaves no stone unturned.

If it doesn't tell you what the job is, it's a scam. Period.

It probably is.  I'm going to call them anyway just to see what job it is not so much because I want to pursue it, but more to educate myself on what jobs those type of ads usually represent.

So instead of looking at job 2, he decides to pursue job 1.

I went down to Norman to figure out what that $16.36/hr job is.  It's actually not at all what any of us thought, nor as scary or questionable.  It is a mix of receptionist and general labor for Rainbow Play Systems, helping build playground equipment.  My hours are a lot better than where they have been with Sprint and Convergys - 9:30-6:30 M-F.  It said no experience necessary because he wants to teach us from the ground up.  I will know the answer by 6:00 this evening, but I am very confident in how I did in the interview.  If he calls me and hires me, I will report to work at 9:30 tomorrow morning!!  The first paycheck will come April 1 and every two weeks after that.  They do offer full benefits starting May 1.

It's a real job building playgrounds! It's not a call center or a pyramid scheme, and it wouldn't involve interaction with customers (which is not our hero's strong suit). It sounds great. There are a couple of red flags (the company is willing to hire people to start the day after their interview and they don't actually have an office in Norman, Oklahoma and there's no reason a reputable company would have a job listing in the newspaper like that in the first place), but those can be explained away. From the perspective of our hero, Job 1 worked out, so there's no need to even look at Job 2. Nonetheless, speculation abounds.

Translation: Bushie sells playground sets to indebted middle class Oklahoman families door to door, installs them, and gets paid a commission on top of a small monthly salary.  

Here we go again, folks.

Then the dam bursts.

ITS another KIRBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its Rainbow Cleaning Systems..

Holy Crap

I am assuming this is the ad you saw

http://oklahoman.careercast.com/careers/jobse...

Plug the phone number they give you into yellow pages, and well it comes up as a Fax# but this is what you get

http://www.yellowpages.com/norman-ok/mip/rain...

Find the website and well....  even the whole request a demonstration is there

http://www.rainbowsystem.com/rainbowsystem/ma...

Boomshackalacka

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And for sh**ts and giggles

Of course its a multi-level marketing scam

(For reference, Kirby is a company that sells remarkably overpriced vacuums door-to-door. Our hero's failed employment there may someday be the subject of another installment of classic Update.)

So it turns out that our hero has been flat-out lying about the nature of the job, but that doesn't faze him. He quickly admits it and then moves on. Little matters like where exactly he works and what exactly he does are unimportant to our in-house Reverend.

I do have the job now, and report tomorrow 9:30-6:30.  While, yes, you are correct that this is actually Rainbow Cleaning Systems, and I will function like I did with Kirby, I am actually guaranteed an hourly salary with this one and I will make sure I get it in writing when I go in for orientation tomorrow.  If they don't give it to me in writing, I'm walking right out the door and will not return Wednesday.  If, on the other hand, they do give me the $16.36 an hour as they promised, I will do whatever they say.  If they say jump, I'll ask how high.  The main reason I left Kirby back in early September was because they were wanting to work me 7 days a week and laughed when I wanted a day off to let my body rest.  This guy at Rainbow today said that I can work whenever I want for a minimum of 30 hours per week.  He prefers we put in 40, but he wants at least 30.  I know I probably could have found a better opportunity, but right now I need something that will pay the bills, even if it is selling vacuum cleaners.  I know it's a dirty job (literally!), but I'm gonna do it.  I'm going down there tomorrow morning with a more determined focus.  I wasn't really focused with Ameriplan or with Kirby back late last summer, but I will be focused here.  I should have come out and said it earlier, I admit, but at the time I was still coming to grips with the fact that I would be presenting cleaning systems.  It took some time for me to get used to the idea, but I accept it now and I will embrace it.  As far as the $16.36 goes, I have every intention to believe that, because he said today that my check will be no less than $981.60 every two weeks, possibly and probably more.  It's all based on how much I work, not on my performance.  This isn't MLM, this isn't profit sharing or a commission job, it is a salary.  If you divide $981.60 by $16.36, it comes to 30 hours.  I plan to work 40 hours, so my check should be more than that $981.60.  He said I have a flexible schedule, so I am going to choose to work 9:30-6:30 M-F.  I can always change that if situations arise.  If I'm sick in the middle of the week, I'll just go in Saturday.  As my Dad said, "at least it's not a call center.  It's a whole different line of work than you're used to, and it may not be the most pleasant or what I would have picked, but hang on to this one with all you've got.  Don't let the Oklahoma wind knock it out of your hand.  Believe in yourself and you can do it.  It may be vacuum cleaners, but hang onto it anyway, your Mom needs to retire."  Mom reiterated the same thing.

Oh, and intermoderate, I did fill out an application at Coca-Cola this afternoon, as well.  They said it might be a week before i hear anything.  I haven't heard back from that call center or that order puller place, yet.  So I'm pretty much crossing them off the list.

In the view of our hero (and his parents, who continue giving awful advice as always), the problem with Ameriplan and Kirby wasn't that he was trying to scam people into buying things they didn't need, but rather that he wasn't committed enough to scamming people. Our in-house Reverend is the Boxer of scamming: he will try harder.

Naturally, the thread ends up with this:

This may sound like a cheap way out, but I'm going to save all of us a bunch of endless back-and-forth and lock this thread.  It's certain that you're not going to get through to me and it's certain I'm not going to get through to you.  I'm not leaving the forum (although I probably should), but I'm going to go back to doing what I came to the forum to do - talk about politics.  Isn't there a presidential race coming up?  Isn't some guy named Gangreen or something like that running?  Oh, that's right, it's Gingrich!! My bad!!

I may unlock this thread from time to time, but for now the door is closing it.  This thread will serve as a reminder that when stubborn heads get together, you can't get anywhere.

I personally ask that there would be no mimicking update threads, just let it go.  If you want to keep up with my updates, go to facebook (you'll have to take it for what its worth, which is nothing).

THE END

NOT QUITE THE END

If you're interested in following the entire Rainbow Play/Cleaning Systems saga (which I strongly encourage), start with the first post quoted here and continue to the last post, at which point the thread is locked. To read what happens after that, download BRTD's Lost Update PDF; the relevant portion starts on page 52 and continues to the end of the document. After that you can return to the Update thread from which all the quotes in this post come; there's some slight overlap between the end of the lost Update and that thread, but it shouldn't be hard to follow.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1039 on: May 23, 2013, 04:15:30 PM »

As a start.  My goal is 2000 calories a day.  So far today, I have only had 520 calories.  I am just having sloppy joes tonight for supper, so I doubt I will reach 2000.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1040 on: May 23, 2013, 04:21:24 PM »

As a start.  My goal is 2000 calories a day.  So far today, I have only had 520 calories.  I am just having sloppy joes tonight for supper, so I doubt I will reach 2000.

largest calorie intake should be breakfast I've heard

also Xahar is my hero
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1041 on: May 23, 2013, 04:29:37 PM »

largest calorie intake should be breakfast I've heard

also Xahar is my hero

Probably so, I just had two bowls of Rice Krispies Cereal for breakfast.  It was really more of a brunch as it was at 11:15 this morning.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1042 on: May 23, 2013, 04:31:11 PM »

In other news, 4 weeks from right now, I will have boarded Brussels Airlines flight 8802 at Washington, Dulles International Airport for a 1740 ET departure for Brussels National Airport in Brussels, Belgium.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1043 on: May 23, 2013, 04:34:40 PM »

So I've read that Our Dear Friend has a layover in Belgium while traveling to Kenya. I demand a "Bushie Does Europe" detour. I can just see him now - fanny pack, t-shirt, cap and all that good stuff - standing around in the Brussels airport, looking so American.

I also want his take on this weekend's Champions League Final. Can we start a petition to encourage him to watch? It will be good practice before his European excursion.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1044 on: May 23, 2013, 04:46:54 PM »

You should eat breakfast cereals high in fiber and protein. Rice Krisipies doesn't have fiber and only has a small amount of protein. It also has zero whole grains; it's just white rice and sugar.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1045 on: May 23, 2013, 05:12:09 PM »

You should eat breakfast cereals high in fiber and protein. Rice Krisipies doesn't have fiber and only has a small amount of protein. It also has zero whole grains; it's just white rice and sugar.

What about Crispix?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1046 on: May 23, 2013, 05:25:25 PM »

No wonder you aren't liking salads if you refuse to put dressing on them. There is nothing wrong with olive oil and lemon, as there are a lot of health benefits from eating olive oil - it's low in saturated fat after all. It's much better than eating lots of animal fat (sloppy joes), processed foods (rice crispies) or hot dogs.

Like others have said, this will require a life change. I am not advocating you changing completely at once, but we've been discussing your weight for years and have seen no progress whatsoever.

And your mindset must change or you will get nowhere. I can still enjoy meals a whole lot without stuffing my face with sugar, carbs, processed foods, and saturated fats. I enjoy my meals more if they aren't full of those things. Granted, I do enjoy a good burger or some ice cream here and there, but I always feel awful afterwards. I suppose I have trained myself to not enjoy unhealthy things. YOu can get there too if you want it bad enough, and I know you don't right now. I think you have very little interest in actually losing weight.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1047 on: May 23, 2013, 05:26:36 PM »

What about Crispix?

Seems legit.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-crispix-i8259

You should get an account at caloriecount.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1048 on: May 23, 2013, 05:33:12 PM »

Bushie will consume about 2000 calories for dinner between sloppy joes and buns/bread. That doesn't count desert or soda.  That plus another 750 he's consumed today already. Yeah.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1049 on: May 23, 2013, 05:46:22 PM »

What about Crispix?

Seems legit.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-crispix-i8259

You should get an account at caloriecount.

Still pretty low in fiber (though like Rice Crispies, at least it's low in sugar compared to some other cereals). It would be even better if you throw in a banana and some walnuts, as that will provide you with fiber (along with other important nutrients) and keep you feeling full longer. Even better than boxed cereals would be oatmeal or something like that though.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies