Mideast Assembly · Townhall Debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:33:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly · Townhall Debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly · Townhall Debate  (Read 2247 times)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2013, 02:15:44 PM »

As neither Governor Tmth nor Senator X have opened a thread for a debate between the Mideast Assembly candidates and there is barely more than a week left before the election, I was thinking we should have a crowd-sourced debate instead.

Questions may be asked by any Mideast citisen and will hopefully generate high-quality discussion like in January. Don't bother with opening statements.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 02:32:10 PM »

I would like to ask all of the Mideast Assembly members what they would do with the current surplus that is available via the budget, and why you would do so?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 02:47:39 PM »

I would like to ask a broad question about the topic of game reform at the regional level. Are there, in your view, parts of the regional constitution which should be amended? Or more generally, are there any aspects of the game which we should change?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 03:24:47 PM »

I would have been more than happy to host, but you indicated folks would rather have Senator X, and he accepted.

I'll be posting some questions this evening for the candidates.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 04:04:11 PM »

I would like to ask all of the Mideast Assembly members what they would do with the current surplus that is available via the budget, and why you would do so?

With current economic conditions, we shouldn't pass a budget with a surplus, since it means we are taking money in without spending it when that money is needed right now active in the economy.  I would divide that amount roughly evenly between transportation and a reduction in the sales tax.  Six percent is a relatively high sales tax, and we should remove the burden of it to the extent possible.  For the transportation money, the focus should be on improving public transit in mid-sized cities; I believe those projects will benefit more people on a daily basis for the cost than high speed rail.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 04:22:14 PM »

Well assuming that the public rail bill passes (which is a good assumption), that will be using up most, if not all of the surplus, so there's probably not going to be a surplus.  Or, I guess you could say that since I plan on voting for the bill, I would like to use the surplus on the railroad project.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 04:23:29 PM »

I would like to ask a broad question about the topic of game reform at the regional level. Are there, in your view, parts of the regional constitution which should be amended? Or more generally, are there any aspects of the game which we should change?

We should pass the amendment that recently failed ratification, the Power to the People Amendment.  Only 15% of the region voted against that amendment; I think it's a good amendment that should be part of our constitution.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 05:17:47 PM »

Well, that surplus should definitely be used to build the new High Speed Rail, as I stated before in the Assembly. Now, in the hypothetical case that we had the surplus and no Rail, and leaving some specifics aside, I would try to raise energy spending as a personal priority.

I believe that the game is quite effective for the moment, and we have a pretty solid system. Some proposals want to recognize caucuses or change the way we elect Senators (or how many we elect), but I think that would mean missing the point. After all, there are several unwritten rules within the game, and we should consider the possibility of adding them to the Regional Constitution.

The whole issue with the Keeping the Voting Booths Clean Act is the best example: A game is a game, and freedom is always vital to keep the game going. However, allowing certain "freedoms" such as the right of voting in different languages only complicates the game in way that is entirely unnecessary, and I feel we need to review those rules when the opportunity arises. We can't know for such what works best and what doesn't, but once we start to see the problems that arise with this details, we can act.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 08:29:25 PM »

I would have been more than happy to host, but you indicated folks would rather have Senator X, and he accepted.

Someone sounds bitter. Tongue

For what it's worth, I would've supported having either (or both of you) as a moderator.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 11:03:18 PM »

I think the game itself is fine, and game reform has a history of failure in Atlasia. Time spent drafting bills for game reform might very well be time wasted, in my opinion, however interesting the reform concepts might be.

I agree with LumineVonReuental that some of our surplus should spent on transportation and high speed rail, but I also believe that we should place some of our money into the Mideast's education system. The education system, the transportation system, and the information and infrastructure systems of the Mideast should be given more money from this excellent surplus that we currently have due to our budget.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 11:18:31 PM »

We need to improve the amendment process to fully engage the public and improve communication and cooperation with the assembly.  We should have a full week to vote on both regional and national amendments.  At least 24 hours before the booth even opens, and ideally before the assembly even has a final vote, a thread should be opened in the elections board dedicated to the presentation and discussion of the proposed amendment.  It's better to have a good amendment and do it right than try to rush through a whole bunch of attempts without discussion.

I'd like to see information on recently passed and currently debated legislation added to the civic information thread, if possible, similar to what exists on the senate noticeboard.

Another idea I have is to shorten the gubernatorial terms to 2 or 3 months.  Governor's races draw attention to regional issues.  Having these elections more often could also attract a wider variety of fresh faces to campaign and hold office.   

In short, let's enable our citizens to be better informed and involved.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 11:55:57 PM »

I think the game itself is fine, and game reform has a history of failure in Atlasia. Time spent drafting bills for game reform might very well be time wasted, in my opinion, however interesting the reform concepts might be.

I agree with LumineVonReuental that some of our surplus should spent on transportation and high speed rail, but I also believe that we should place some of our money into the Mideast's education system. The education system, the transportation system, and the information and infrastructure systems of the Mideast should be given more money from this excellent surplus that we currently have due to our budget.

Again, we don't actually have a surplus if the high speed rail bill passes.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 01:00:08 AM »

As Speaker Inks has said, if the Tmth-Gass High Speed Rail Act is passed, there wouldn't anymore be a surplus. If it doesn't, though, -- a $16bn surplus is way more than enough to establish commuter-rail systems in every large Mideast city, using the Kansas City model.

Oh, definitely.
· We need a secret ballot, obviously. Our current system places too much power in the hands of manipulative party strategists.
· I made the suggestion, a while back, that in order to revitalise the less active regions, people should be allowed to run for office in other regions than their own. This change probably needs to happen on the regional level, so we should amend our Constitution (IV.1.2) to set an example for the other regions.
· The Superior Court needs more to do. Perhaps we could hand over elections administration to the judiciary.
· Loosen the activity requirement for the Governor set in I.3.4.
· Assembly vacancies should be filled by special election and not by the Governor.
· Initiatives to propose a new law require three times as many signatures as referenda to abolish existing laws. That doesn't really make sense.
· I'd like the threshold for both regional and federal Constitutional amendments to be set at half plus some sort of turnout requirement.
· If we go strictly by the Mideast Constitution, a number of officials (eg Oldiesfreak in the Jan2013 Assembly and drj in the Nov2012 Assembly) should not have served -- the oath of office, after all, specifically ends with "So help me Dave" (IV.1.10). I would remove this religious requirement.

Note that I don't expect to change most of these; this is more of a general wishlist. If elected, though, I would definitely push for the first and the last proposal.

We should pass the amendment that recently failed ratification, the Power to the People Amendment.  Only 15% of the region voted against that amendment; I think it's a good amendment that should be part of our constitution.

That's… disingenuous. Less than 5% of the region voted for the amendment.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 01:40:30 AM »

I never said more than 5% of the region voted for the amendment.  I've never said the region supports the amendment.  I just disagree that it's clear that they really oppose it.

As for removing "So help me Dave" on religious freedom grounds, that's completely ludicrous, as it is objectively known that Dave exists.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 01:49:07 AM »

I'm going to jump in quickly to add that once final calculations are made, we could very well still have a remaining surplus, so I hope candidates will still address that.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 01:53:11 AM »

I'm going to jump in quickly to add that once final calculations are made, we could very well still have a remaining surplus, so I hope candidates will still address that.

What are you proposing to cut (or add in taxes) that would lead to a surplus?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 02:13:29 AM »

I never said more than 5% of the region voted for the amendment.  I've never said the region supports the amendment.  I just disagree that it's clear that they really oppose it.

Do you think it is at all likely that non-voters are 88% in favour? Because that's what you need to get a two-thirds majority.

As for removing "So help me Dave" on religious freedom grounds, that's completely ludicrous, as it is objectively known that Dave exists.

It is also objectively known that Nym90, Nate Silver, John Engle, &c exist.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 02:17:28 AM »

What are you proposing to cut (or add in taxes) that would lead to a surplus?
Not all revenue has been calculated yet.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 02:18:30 AM »

Do you think it is at all likely that non-voters are 88% in favour? Because that's what you need to get a two-thirds majority.

It is also objectively known that Nym90, Nate Silver, John Engle, &c exist.

And none of them have the power to keep this forum going.  No more Dave = no more Atlasia.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 02:21:10 AM »

Considering the fact I follow two individuals, Jesus Christ and John Engle, I completely agree with a Person.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 02:23:18 AM »

Considering the fact I follow two individuals, Jesus Christ and John Engle, I completely agree with a Person.

You follow two individuals?  What does that mean?  And really... John Engle?  Yeah, let's ban all lesbians... that'd be a great idea. Roll Eyes
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2013, 02:25:06 AM »

You follow two individuals?  What does that mean?  And really... John Engle?  Yeah, let's ban all lesbians... that'd be a great idea. Roll Eyes
I should be able to follow and believe whoever I want - Atlasia should be a place where religious freedom is tolerated, not ostracized.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2013, 02:28:55 AM »

I should be able to follow and believe whoever I want - Atlasia should be a place where religious freedom is tolerated, not ostracized.

OK, and nobody is ostracizing religious freedom by requiring "So help me Dave" at the end of our oaths of office, because, without Dave's help, Atlasia (and all of us - at least in an Atlasian sense) would not exist.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2013, 02:30:42 AM »

OK, and nobody is ostracizing religious freedom by requiring "So help me Dave" at the end of our oaths of office, because, without Dave's help, Atlasia (and all of us - at least in an Atlasian sense) would not exist.
A Christian would use the same argument for our God, yet you don't see very many of us advocating Christianity as the official religion of America.

I'm stopping here - this is a thread for the Assembly candidates to debate, not me. You can continue it in my office if you'd like, Inks. Smiley
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2013, 02:32:27 AM »

A Christian would use the same argument for our God, yet you don't see very many of us advocating Christianity as the official religion of America.

A Christian believes that God exists based on faith because there is no objective, verifiable proof of his existence.  There is objective, verifiable proof that an entity named "Dave Leip" created and maintains the Atlas and Atlasia.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies