Mideast Governor's Debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:07:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Governor's Debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mideast Governor's Debate  (Read 1487 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2013, 02:43:04 AM »

I have been asked by Clinton1996 and Zuwo to moderate a Mideast Governor's debate. I will be asking questions on current Mideast issues, their policy goals, their leadership qualities and other random topics. If anyone has a question they would like to see asked, just shoot me a PM.

To start things off I would request that both candidates provide an opening statement! Smiley

ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 07:37:08 AM »

Thank you Assemblyman Gass for moderating this debate.

I am running for Governor of the Mideast with Lt. Governor candidate Cathcon because I believe that our ticket will have a positive impact on the region. If elected, Cathcon and I will focus on the Wiki and the budget and on keeping the Mideast an active and vibrant region by trying to find new channels of communication with our fellow citizens. Additionally, we will work closely with the Assembly on all bills and amendments.

While experience is not always tantamount to competence, we believe that our presidential campaigns, the numerous terms we served in the Assembly and the one term as Governor I had will be an asset for the Mideast. The Mideast is generally in good shape but there are various challenges with which we are confronted. I can assure all voters that Cathcon and I are aware of these challenges and are ready to act from day one.

Now I am looking forward to the debate and answering concrete questions. Smiley
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 04:29:27 PM »

I'd like to thank you Gass, for agreeing to moderate this debate, though I do wish you were up here with us. I'd also like to thank Assembleyman ZuWo for agreeing to appear here with me.

My campaign message is simple. Over the past few months, under the leadership of Governor Tmthforu our region has prospered. It has been my belief that government has no place in the social lives of its citizens. As long as it doesn't harm anyone, I will not involve my administration. That goes for SSM, safe and legal abortion, and other things. My focus will be on our economic interests as well as the budget. I will cut taxes by 10% for middle class Mideasterners as well as providing $1.5 Billion for the rebuilding and remodeling of our region's Infastructure.

Activity and immigration are at highs and our budget is in balance. His bipartisanship is a model for all Alasia, and I would continue it. I've never been one to focus on the differences or on ideological extremes. I will work across the aisle to reach a consensus.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 09:26:56 PM »

Thank you candidates, now the first question!

You have been elected Governor and you just swore in, what would be the first piece of legislation that you would propose to the Assembly?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 07:44:36 AM »

Thank you candidates, now the first question!

You have been elected Governor and you just swore in, what would be the first piece of legislation that you would propose to the Assembly?

If elected Governor, I will concentrate on the budget right from the start. With the recently passed budget amendment, the budget has a superior status over all other pieces of legislation so this is where our main focus should be.

Apart from the budget, I will introduce several amendments to already existing statutes, such as the "Mideast Vital Civic Information Information Act" or the "Questioning the Power Act". Taking up shua's suggestion I would like the Mideast Civic Information Thread to contain a list of all passed pieces of legislation. Indeed, this goes hand in hand with the monthly guvernatorial newsletter which I wish to reintroduce. Additionally, Mideasterners should not only be able to ask the Governor questions but they should also get the opportunity to do the same with the Lt. Governor if they want to. Finally, since this issue came up in the debate of the "Keeping the Voting Booths Clean Act", I want to propose a constitutional amendment or bill to the Assembly which clarifies the status of English and other languages in the Mideast. I don't think that English should be declared the official language of the region, but it might be a good idea to debate language issues in general.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 02:01:49 PM »

As ZuWo stated above, I would also start with the economy and sustaining the gains that have occurred per the pat administration. The budget is my priority, and it is the first bill I would propose. In it I would provide my 10% Income Tax Cut and $1.5 Billion boost in infrastructure spending. A Balanced Budget is my priority.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 02:20:30 PM »

Okie dokie!

Question 2: If you were Governor during the Balanced Budget Amendment debate/votes, how would have you handled the situation?   
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 03:03:06 PM »

Okie dokie!

Question 2: If you were Governor during the Balanced Budget Amendment debate/votes, how would have you handled the situation?   

The entire budget amendment process was a tough nut to crack but I am glad we eventually managed to pass a compromise proposal.

In debates like these where more than a simple majority is needed to get something done it is of great importance to seek cooperation with as many people as possible at a very early stage. The more people feel left out when you try to pass an amendment, the higher the risk that there will be vocal opposition and your plans will fail. Thus, it will be one of my priorities as Governor to reach out to the right, the left and to the center on as many pieces of legislation as possible. I think I have demonstrated that I am able to find comon ground with people of different ideologies when I introduced the "2nd Amendment to the Mideast Abortion Statute" and everyone in the Assembly backed the final version of the bill. This way we managed to settle an issue which has been extremely divisive in the Mideast for several months.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 04:12:49 PM »

Sorry about the late answer, I've had the flu and had to limit my activity out of bed.

But in a region such as the Mideast, with a split Assembly, the best answer is to reach across the aisle. I would have worked with the most liberal and conservative members to broker a Balanced Budget deal that both sides could support. I would be uncomfortable with a mere majority, and would seek a supermajority vote on the Amendment.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 05:47:37 PM »

But in a region such as the Mideast, with a split Assembly, the best answer is to reach across the aisle. I would have worked with the most liberal and conservative members to broker a Balanced Budget deal that both sides could support. I would be uncomfortable with a mere majority, and would seek a supermajority vote on the Amendment.

Oh look more moderate heroism.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 05:51:03 PM »

Oh look more moderate heroism.

I really want to find your too zany and out there, but you just freshen up the forum with your random threads. You kind of remind me of a horny version of JD from scrubs.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 06:31:02 PM »

This is a question PM'ed from the audience:

Would you support the return to the old system of voting the region had?
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 08:21:13 PM »

ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 07:57:52 AM »

This is a question PM'ed from the audience:

Would you support the return to the old system of voting the region had?

No, I wouldn't. I think the system we currently have is fair and represents the will of the electorate in the best way. I have nothing against Mideastern exceptionalism when it makes sense, but in this particular case I think it was a good decision to choose a system which has been tried and tested in other Atlasian regions.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 04:34:54 PM »

In short, no. But I would be open to reforming the electoral system. A secret ballot wouldn't be a bad idea if we could find an easy and thorough way to make it work.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 12:55:33 PM »

What is your opinion on the debate regarding the Federal Amendment Amendment? Do you think we should just pass legislation if the region can't get an amendment to pass the 2/3rds majority? 
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 01:07:23 PM »

I think that the way the Mideast ratifies federal amendments should be decided on the constitutional rather than the legislative level, just like most other procedural matters.
I am confident that we will eventually find common ground on this issue. As far as I see, a clause which would mandate that 2/3rds of the Mideast electorate must approve of a federal amendment for it to be ratified will not get majority support in our region. Thus, we will ultimately be compelled to settle on a proposal which only mandates a simple majority, which is essentially the status quo.

I admit that I have flip-flopped on this issue. While I initially supported the 2/3rds clause, I now believe that a simple-majority solution is better.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 02:25:18 PM »

Still waiting on Clinton1996 and drj
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 04:35:01 PM »

Sorry

But no. I do not believe a 2/3rds majority should be required. Honestly, this isn't a Regional Issue. I also would prefer a keeping to National standards.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 05:19:24 PM »

This debate is boring. 2/3rds is stupid. Just pass sh*t.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies