Florida Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:52:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Florida Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Florida Megathread  (Read 73580 times)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« on: January 24, 2014, 11:20:28 AM »

The GOP seems to be under the delusion that running minority candidates is "outreach," to minority voters, regardless of how insane, extreme and racist their candidates are. 

Well, i respected J.C. Watts, for example (though we have very different views on many issues) and some other Black Republicans - both moderates and conservatives. But concerning this particular guy - i agree 101%: rare idiot)))))
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 11:05:05 AM »

Jane Castor, Tampa's first female and first openly LGBT police chief, has changed her registration to Democratic. Could be an interesting mayoral candidate a few years down the road.

And who she was before?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 04:55:17 AM »

Obviously - new district will NOT be just that. It will include considerable part of Jacksonville, and it will be substantially less white. And i don't see any reasons why Graham can't win new JACK-TAL district..
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 08:27:08 AM »

Obviously - new district will NOT be just that. It will include considerable part of Jacksonville, and it will be substantially less white. And i don't see any reasons why Graham can't win new JACK-TAL district..

Because a majority-Jax district would be won by Corrine Brown.

Of course i don't live in Florida, but disagree - she is generally disliked. And new district will have enough of Leon county (and area in between), where Brown is tremendously unpopular, unlike Graham, for opposite result..
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 08:28:17 AM »

Corinne Brown released a statement criticizing the court's decision. What exactly is her problem? The seat would still be safe Democratic.

Safe Democratic isn't equal "Safe Brown"...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 10:04:39 AM »

Because a majority-Jax district would be won by Corrine Brown.

Of course i don't live in Florida, but disagree - she is generally disliked. And new district will have enough of Leon county (and area in between), where Brown is tremendously unpopular, unlike Graham, for opposite result..

She's not disliked in her district. This'll be a minority-majority seat, with most of that population in Duval.

I saw completely different projected maps of the district on DKE. And it wasn't majority Black, BTW - about 45% White and 45% Black
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 12:52:23 AM »

Some very tentative rumblings are suggesting that Jolly may run for Senate, with the Republican candidate replacing him being former St. Pete Mayor Rick Baker - someone with a proven ability to win black voters (albeit in a municipal race), and someone who'd be the frontrunner against anyone save Crist.

Baker said no to running here before St. Pete was added, I don't know why he'd say yes now.

Probably. But i would like to know more about how he gets his crossover appeal. A moderate pragmatist?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 01:25:27 PM »

Some very tentative rumblings are suggesting that Jolly may run for Senate, with the Republican candidate replacing him being former St. Pete Mayor Rick Baker - someone with a proven ability to win black voters (albeit in a municipal race), and someone who'd be the frontrunner against anyone save Crist.

Baker said no to running here before St. Pete was added, I don't know why he'd say yes now.

Probably. But i would like to know more about how he gets his crossover appeal. A moderate pragmatist?

As Mayor, Baker focused heavily on investing in Midtown - bringing in a new library, new post office, that kinda thing - and building relationships with the African-American community in St. Pete through moves like appointing a deputy mayor for Midtown (though that was in a race with no partisan labels).

Thanks!
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 12:17:43 PM »

Difference is people actually respect and like McClintock, unlike Crist.

Respect and like McClintock, a far right-wing ideologue? What for?Huh
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 01:11:15 PM »

Difference is people actually respect and like McClintock, unlike Crist.

Respect and like McClintock, a far right-wing ideologue? What for?Huh

I wouldn't say he's far-right, at least not compared to other CA GOP delegation members, but he did relatively well in all of his statewide races in California and hasn't switched parties like 15 times.

California Congressional delegation (at least - it's GOP part) was very polarized recently, so vast majority of it belonged (and still belongs) to far right camp (hope "top 2" system will gradually change that). And McClintock lost 4 statewide races and 1 district race (CA-24) - not stellar result. About parties - i am not a party man myself, so i really don't care about that...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies