Do you say "yes sir/no sir" (or ma'am) to employees at Taco Bell
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:54:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you say "yes sir/no sir" (or ma'am) to employees at Taco Bell
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Do you say "yes sir/no sir" (or ma'am) to employees at Taco Bell
yes (D)

no (D)

yes (R)

no (R)

yes (I)

no (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Do you say "yes sir/no sir" (or ma'am) to employees at Taco Bell  (Read 5160 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2013, 08:54:36 AM »

Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2013, 08:55:07 AM »

wtf.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2013, 09:09:37 AM »

The only time I've said "yes sir" that I recall is sarcastically to someone being bossy.

This, although, I used it in school, but you kind of had to.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2013, 10:20:21 AM »

Given the average level of French of the average fast food worker in Montreal, the less words, the better.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2013, 10:34:31 AM »

To me it's a sign of respect and people in all lines of business deserve the same respect.  Children even deserve the same respect.

I generally always use "sir" or "ma'am" to address anyone, even children.  For example, I will address my cousin's 8 year old daughter as "yes, ma'am" or "no, ma'am" in an effort to show them respect and teach them respect, at the same time.  For a lady in management, I will often use the term "madam".

Now, not using sir or ma'am is not necessarily disrespectful, but in Oklahoma culture, adding "sir", "ma'am", or "madam" never hurts.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2013, 10:35:45 AM »

I address anyone over the age of five or six with whom I am not well-acquainted with as sir or ma'am - in part because I am very polite and in part because there would be detrimental social repercussions if I were to use "comrade," which I would ideally prefer to use, instead.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2013, 10:36:14 AM »

This... except for judges. 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2013, 10:51:41 AM »

For judges, I would probably use "your honor".  Hopefully, I never have to address a judge, though!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2013, 11:06:12 AM »

I have said 'yes sir' or ma'am before, but its so rare I can't really remember it.  I think maybe I've spoken to some very elderly people that way when I was a teenager, something like that.  Nowadays, no.  I might on occasion call out 'miss' or 'sir' to a waiter, but its been a long time since I was in the Bad Place.

Here I routinely call out 'pee' or 'nong' to waiters, usually nong as I'm older than most nowadays.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2013, 11:35:44 AM »

May I ask why you had to talk to a judge? Wink
HoosierPoliticalJunkie

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2013, 07:14:41 PM »

No.  I don't use "Sir/Ma'am" at all.  I'll just say "Hello, I'll have #6" or something like that and "Thank you" when I get my food. 
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2013, 08:21:33 PM »

I tend to refer to judges as "your Honor"
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2013, 08:32:47 PM »

Precisely, I don't want to take the chance of getting slapped with Contempt for not properly addressing the judge.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2013, 08:59:50 PM »

The only time I've ever used sir or ma'am is in a situation where I need to get somebody's attention and don't know their name.. "excuse me, ma'am?"

Usually I say "yes, please" or "no, thank you" if asked a yes or no question.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2013, 09:15:07 PM »

I don't ever eat at Taco Bell, so by definition, no, I don't say anything to anybody at Taco Bell ever. More to the point, I don't care much for the "sir/ma'am" thing. It's extremely impersonal and, depending on the circumstance and tone, can be very patronizing. Please and thank you get across the point of politeness without these problems. Also, Bushie, I'd advise you to avoid using "madam." That word suggests something else entirely.
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2013, 09:18:12 PM »

I don't think anyone would think I was being sincere if I called them sir or ma'am around here. There's only one store I frequent besides the grocery anyway, the Wawa down the road, and I'm well acquainted with everyone that works there.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2013, 09:25:55 PM »

This thread basically confirms my personal experience of different places I've lived or travelled, which is that the northeast is more like the south in this respect (though less extreme) while the upper midwest is more like Canada (though perhaps again less extreme).

In Ontario I would never call anyone, be called by anyone, or ever hear "sir". One summer in university I had a low-level customer-service position in downtown Toronto and it quickly became obvious that calling me "sir" was a reliable American-tourist shibboleth.

I don't know the south well, but even a brief trip to Georgia is enough to make it clear that many people use "sir" or "ma'am" even after the conversation has started.

New Jersey and the NYC area generally aren't quite like that, but the term is still common in public business. A waiter in a restaurant will ask you "how can I help you, sir?", and a transit employee or security guard would say "excuse me, sir" to try to get your attention or answer a question "yes, sir". I found this quite surprising at first, but I got used to it. It is probably in decline among younger people though.

In Wisconsin it's perhaps not completely unheard-of due to the greater influence of the rest of the US, but it would still be rare for anyone in a store or restaurant, in either direction, to call anyone "sir" or "ma'am". I don't hear it in the ordinary course of daily life.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2013, 09:32:27 PM »

This thread basically confirms my personal experience of different places I've lived or travelled, which is that the northeast is more like the south in this respect (though less extreme) while the upper midwest is more like Canada (though perhaps again less extreme).

In Ontario I would never call anyone, be called by anyone, or ever hear "sir". One summer in university I had a low-level customer-service position in downtown Toronto and it quickly became obvious that calling me "sir" was a reliable American-tourist shibboleth.

I don't know the south well, but even a brief trip to Georgia is enough to make it clear that many people use "sir" or "ma'am" even after the conversation has started.

New Jersey and the NYC area generally aren't quite like that, but the term is still common in public business. A waiter in a restaurant will ask you "how can I help you, sir?", and a transit employee or security guard would say "excuse me, sir" to try to get your attention or answer a question "yes, sir". I found this quite surprising at first, but I got used to it. It is probably in decline among younger people though.

In Wisconsin it's perhaps not completely unheard-of due to the greater influence of the rest of the US, but it would still be rare for anyone in a store or restaurant, in either direction, to call anyone "sir" or "ma'am". I don't hear it in the ordinary course of daily life.

Yeah, it's probably a cultural thing.  If it is used at all, it's either sarcastic or ironic.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2013, 10:19:57 PM »

Not when they are taking my order.  However, when they are doing things like holding a door for me when we are both going thru it, I sir or ma'am them as would a non-employee who did the same.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2013, 10:22:22 PM »

I've been in the US for a month and never got the opportunity to use Sir/Madam even once.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2013, 02:53:56 PM »

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2013, 03:13:27 PM »

Precisely, I don't want to take the chance of getting slapped with Contempt for not properly addressing the judge.

Bushie, out of idle curiosity, how many times have you appeared in a court room, before a judge?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2013, 03:54:23 PM »

Of course not.  How bizarre.  I always say "yes, please" or "no, thanks".

Here, unfamiliar women seemed to be called "miss", which I find equally foreign.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2013, 04:00:54 PM »

Do you say "yes sir/no sir" (or ma'am) to employees at Taco Bell?

I do not, owing mostly to the fact that I do not visit Taco Bell.

What an odd question.

I do find that store employees always call me sir.  Very irritating.  I guess I'm getting old.  It started being that way a few years ago.  At first, only once in a while, but now it's like every time. 

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2013, 04:09:58 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2013, 04:17:03 PM by MODU »

Yes, all the time.  You will be surprised by the increase in quality service you receive by being polite and expressing to the person serving you how much you appreciate their work and effort.  (I usually end up not having to pay for my drinks and/or get free substitutions on my orders as a result.)

I address anybody I don't know except small children as sir and/or ma'am, so yes.

This.

^^^^
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies