Deval Patrick/Tom Vilsack vs Mike Pence/ Peter King
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:49:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Deval Patrick/Tom Vilsack vs Mike Pence/ Peter King
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Deval Patrick/Tom Vilsack vs Mike Pence/ Peter King  (Read 1197 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 13, 2013, 01:48:09 PM »

Who wins and why? (with maps)
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 02:49:53 PM »

These are two of the weakest possible candidates for either party who have a chance of getting nominated.

Patrick failed to get fifty percent of the vote as a Democrat running for reelection in Massachusetts.

Pence ran nine points behind Romney as a candidate for statewide office in Indiana.

Vilsack is an okay running mate for Patrick, with regional appeal in the West and ties to the Obama administration, allowing Patrick to try to sell himself as the third term of Obama.

Playing around Nate Silver's demographics and electoral math calculator, I noticed an interesting trend.

If demographic groups vote at the same rate as in 2016, even adjusting for higher growth among Hispanics and African Americans, Patrick wins the same amount of states as Obama did.

If the White vote dips to 38%, Republicans pick up Florida.

If the White vote dips to 37% for Patrick, Republicans pick up Ohio.

If the White vote dips to 36%, Republicans pick up Virginia, New Hampshire and Iowa, enough to win the electoral college even with a 0.2% loss in the popular vote.

However, you would expect Patrick to be slightly stronger in New Hampshire, and Vilsack to help in Iowa.

So, my guess for the default map is...

Patrick would have a 55% or so chance of winning.

There is a higher possibility of a landslide as the two candidates may be easier to stereotype. If Pence comes across a bible thumper and Patrick remains an above-average Democrat, Patrick could win more states than Obama. If Patrick says something too liberal, he may lose Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennysylvania.

PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 10:05:12 PM »

These are two of the weakest possible candidates for either party who have a chance of getting nominated.

Patrick failed to get fifty percent of the vote as a Democrat running for reelection in Massachusetts.

Pence ran nine points behind Romney as a candidate for statewide office in Indiana.

Vilsack is an okay running mate for Patrick, with regional appeal in the West and ties to the Obama administration, allowing Patrick to try to sell himself as the third term of Obama.

Playing around Nate Silver's demographics and electoral math calculator, I noticed an interesting trend.

If demographic groups vote at the same rate as in 2016, even adjusting for higher growth among Hispanics and African Americans, Patrick wins the same amount of states as Obama did.

If the White vote dips to 38%, Republicans pick up Florida.

If the White vote dips to 37% for Patrick, Republicans pick up Ohio.

If the White vote dips to 36%, Republicans pick up Virginia, New Hampshire and Iowa, enough to win the electoral college even with a 0.2% loss in the popular vote.

However, you would expect Patrick to be slightly stronger in New Hampshire, and Vilsack to help in Iowa.

So, my guess for the default map is...

Patrick would have a 55% or so chance of winning.

There is a higher possibility of a landslide as the two candidates may be easier to stereotype. If Pence comes across a bible thumper and Patrick remains an above-average Democrat, Patrick could win more states than Obama. If Patrick says something too liberal, he may lose Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennysylvania.

I'd add MN to the list of states Patrick could lose. dems won MI by a larger margin than they did MN in Prez elections since 1992.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 12:21:24 AM »

Mike Pence is waaaay too conservative and wingnutty.  He's DOA against any competent candidate and Patrick is at least a decent politician, if a mediocre governor. 
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 12:49:14 AM »

Governor Deval Patrick / Sec. of Agriculture Tom Vilsack - 320
Governor Mike Pence / Congressman Peter King - 218
Michaelf7777777
Rookie
New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 05:51:54 AM »

Deval Patrick/ Tom Vilsack - 285 EV's
Mike Pence/ Peter King - 253 EV's
AmosNC
Rookie
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 11:41:29 PM »

Seems like it would be a rerun of Obama v. Romney.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 01:14:00 AM »

Patrick wins. Pence is probably too conservative for America. Though I suppose Patrick is easy to caricature....
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 03:24:23 AM »

Mike Pence is a little bit too far right, but Peter King does way worse damage to the ticket.
Emperor Charles V
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -6.00

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 09:24:38 AM »

Peter King is my Congressman and I even campaigned for him! He is my political hero and I hope to be his successor one day!  I would be the first one at the polls to vote for Pence/King!

Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 11:11:43 AM »

Peter King is my Congressman and I even campaigned for him! He is my political hero and I hope to be his successor one day!  I would be the first one at the polls to vote for Pence/King!

Then I want to be one of the first to tell you; you're absolutely freakin crazy.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 11:29:48 AM »

Then I want to be one of the first to tell you; you're absolutely freakin crazy.

Shouldn't this man be a Democrat by now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXeTRzAoqDQ
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies