Who will you vote for in 2016?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:04:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who will you vote for in 2016?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Choose who you would vote for if these were the candidates.
Hillary Clinton D former secretary of state
Joe Biden D Vice President
Andrew Cuomo D Governor of NY
Kirsten Gillibrand D Senator from NY
John Hickenlooper D Governor of CO
Brian Schweitzer D Governor of MT
Other D
Marco Rubio R Senator from FL
Chris Christie R Governor of NJ
Rand Paul R Senator from KY
Paul Ryan R Representative from WI
Rick Santorum R former Senator from PA
Bobby Jindal R Governor of LA
Other R
Third party (specify in comment)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Who will you vote for in 2016?  (Read 8581 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2013, 03:06:20 PM »

Clinton or Gillibrand. Schweitzer and Cuomo are not Democrats.

Calling Cuomo and Schweitzer DINOs and being for Hillary Clinton and Kirsten Gillibrand is lolzy.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2013, 04:02:20 PM »

Calling Cuomo and Schweitzer DINOs and being for Hillary Clinton and Kirsten Gillibrand is lolzy.

I agree that Cuomo and Schweitzer should not be labeled DINO, but let's not forget that Gillibrand was ranked #1 most liberal Senator in 2011 by National Journal. The most liberal, of all 50+ Democratic Senators. I understand that Gillibrand was more conservative, particularly on gun issues, when she was in the House, but that's because she was trying to represent her constituents, who were in a conservative district. So she is not a "flip-flopper;" she is trying to actually do what the people she is representing wants. Nor is she anything close to a "DINO."
RJEvans
MasterRegal
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2013, 04:14:50 PM »

I'm a Hillary Clinton supporter. Yes, I realize she has massive flaws, but I think she knows the ins and outs of government and will at least attempt to work with Republicans if elected.

If not her Martin O'Malley is my choice. He seems like the kind of guy who can go into Iowa and come out with a surprise win.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2013, 04:17:06 PM »

Which makes him a FF. Democrats need to realize they can't pretend to support the Bill of Rights and just ignore one of them.

Oh.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2013, 05:07:13 PM »

Cuomo and Schweitzer have positions incompatible with the Democratic agenda. Clinton and Gillibrand do not.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2013, 05:13:26 PM »

Of these, Christie.

Without Christie, Cuomo.

I'll be a registered Democrat and I'll be voting for Cuomo in the primary.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2013, 06:09:50 PM »

Cuomo and Schweitzer have positions incompatible with the Democratic agenda. Clinton and Gillibrand do not.

What official position of Cuomo's are you referring to? Schweitzer is on the record about guns, sure.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2013, 07:50:56 PM »

What official position of Cuomo's are you referring to? Schweitzer is on the record about guns, sure.

The man is a fiscal conservative.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2013, 08:36:01 PM »

Cuomo isn't on the record for advocating anything that would be contentious in a Democratic primary like Schweitzer and gun control. He's continuously toed the line in his governance as a Clinton-esque centrist, but he wouldn't campaign on anything fiscally conservative. The left would be right to point to his record, but that's nowhere near the same problem as running for the nomination as, say, Huntman's views on climate change or Brian Sandoval and abortion.

Cuomo is just going to try and paint himself as Slick Willy's protege.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2013, 09:39:46 PM »

Of the R's

Paul: While he's not his dad he's the best we've got right now. Maybe except governor Pence.
Huckabee: should've been our 2012 guy besides Ron Paul. Would be a tough pull if it came down to him and Rand
Pence: If he runs its all bets are off. Being a favorite son does have certain perks.
Christie: Nope. Simply nope
Santorum: bashing RP 2.0 is losing him points with me. That and wanting to bomb folks who need to hear the Gospel just because they "did 9/11"

If any of the D's converted to being pro-life and against ssm, ( which sadly won't happen except by miracle)I'd lean towards Schweitzer. Cuomo loses out for one reason besides the social ones. He's anti-gun.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2013, 10:04:08 PM »

I agree that Cuomo and Schweitzer should not be labeled DINO, but let's not forget that Gillibrand was ranked #1 most liberal Senator in 2011 by National Journal. The most liberal, of all 50+ Democratic Senators. I understand that Gillibrand was more conservative, particularly on gun issues, when she was in the House, but that's because she was trying to represent her constituents, who were in a conservative district. So she is not a "flip-flopper;" she is trying to actually do what the people she is representing wants. Nor is she anything close to a "DINO."

Well, then if she represents a "center-right" or even "center" country, than wouldn't she move to the center? Why would you expect her not to shift back when she moves from one of the most liberal states in the country to the whole country. Honestly, I think it's a vane tactic on her part, but thats not my point. My point is, she would be considered a DINO when she actually assumes office and enacts policies that "represent the people".
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2013, 10:09:16 PM »

Cuomo isn't on the record for advocating anything that would be contentious in a Democratic primary like Schweitzer and gun control. He's continuously toed the line in his governance as a Clinton-esque centrist, but he wouldn't campaign on anything fiscally conservative. The left would be right to point to his record, but that's nowhere near the same problem as running for the nomination as, say, Huntman's views on climate change or Brian Sandoval and abortion.

Why should Democrats support that approach when Slick Willy's wife, a true blue liberal, is available and by far more electable?
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2013, 10:37:45 PM »

Why should Democrats support that approach when Slick Willy's wife, a true blue liberal, is available and by far more electable?

I didn't say he was the best option available; that wasn't the argument (Cuomo wouldn't run and invoke the Clinton rhetoric if Hillary was part of the field, anyway). I'm merely stating that calling guys like Schweitzer and Cuomo DINOs is nothing short of hack-ish.

There are a lot of those on the left who would disagree on Hillary being a "true blue liberal", too.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2013, 10:41:52 PM »

Is cutting funding to a homeless youth organization fiscally conservative?

BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2013, 10:55:24 PM »

Would Cuomo advocate cutting funding for homeless youth organizations in a primary?

There's a difference between running away from criticism for past budgetary decisions (which is what Cuomo would do) and embracing an issue that's completely contradictory to current party dogma (such as Brian Sandoval and abortion). One is maneuverable with political skill; the other is a non-starter when vying for the nomination.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2013, 12:15:42 AM »

I'm not saying Cuomo would not win the nomination because of the funding cuts, I'm saying those are attributes that would be considered conservative rather than liberal.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2013, 12:36:08 AM »
« Edited: May 13, 2013, 12:38:53 AM by BluegrassBlueVote »

What, cutting a budget in a crappy economy? That's not really a unique "position" Cuomo holds or would campaign on specifically, and it's not unpopular at all for big state governors. You realize Martin O'Malley of all people claims to have cut budgetary spending more than any other Maryland governor, right? Hell, google any Democratic governor along with the words "budget cuts" and see what they're proposing or bragging about.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2013, 03:51:49 AM »

1. Rand Paul
2. Scott Walker
3. Susana Martinez
4. Bobby Jindal
5. Marco Rubio
6. Paul Ryan
7. Chris Christie
8. Rick Santorum
9. Brian Schweitzer (if I had to pick a Democrat)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2013, 08:43:57 AM »

Realistically, I'd vote for any Dem over any Repub at this point, with one exception:

If:
a) Obama gets to appoint at least two new Supreme Court justices in the next three years (one of them, obviously, being to replace Ginsburg with a strong liberal), and
b) Cuomo gets the Democratic nomination, and
c) Christie gets the Republican nomination without having to tack hard right in the primaries,

then and only then I will...

...um...

probably vote third party with the realization that Christie will win.

This is all a very long-winded way of saying that I am in the "Anybody but Cuomo" camp.  Schweitzer's more or less fine, though.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2013, 01:30:15 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2013, 01:38:23 PM by Torie »

I don't feel I know Christie, Ryan and Rubio well enough to make any sort of commitment at the moment. The rest don't interest me much, although if Hillary comes out of the Libyan thing OK and runs as a centrist, I might consider her. Well, I also might consider Schweitzer whom I know next to nothing about. I really don't know much about  Gillibrand either, other than that she is easy on the eyes, and a NY Dem. Smiley

I tend to doubt Cuomo has the right temperament to be POTUS. That might be an issue with Christie too. Both enjoy being highly confrontational, and while sometimes, that is the right medicine, it more often than not is not the case. It just is not a very good way to reconcile differences, and enact good policies which have some staying power and acceptance in the public square, as opposed to becoming toxic footballs like Obamacare, about which it seems emotions run so high, that many simply are unable to think rationally about it.

Among the Dems, Biden is my bete noir. He is an irritating, lightweight joke. And no comment about some of the other Pubs, a couple of which I also consider unfit.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2013, 04:00:21 PM »

I selected other republican, because I want Jeb Bush to run.  But I'll probably vote for whoever the republican nominee ends up being.  If the candidate is terrible however, I might consider voting third party. 
HoosierPoliticalJunkie

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2013, 04:28:29 PM »

1) Chris Christie
2) Hickenlooper
3)  Rand Paul or Brian Schweitzer
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2013, 10:10:38 PM »

1. Clinton
2. Biden
3. Gillibrand
4. Hickenlooper
5. Cuomo (like Schweitzer better but he's protectionist...)
6. Schweitzer
7. Biden
8. Christie
9. Rubio
10. Jindal
11. Ryan
12. Paul
13. Santorum
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2013, 10:28:44 PM »

Day 3 report: Hillary Clinton still leading with a giant margin. She has 35 votes, and Chris Christie, the best performing republican, has 9. (Christie is in 2nd.) Rising from 1 vote to 7 is Rand Paul in 3rd. 4th is Dem Kirsten Gillibrand, with 5 votes. Other D, (Brown and O'malley have been mentioned), is 5th with 4 votes. Also, tied with Other D, is Joe Biden. 6th is Brian Schweitzer, with 3. Paul Ryan, Rick Santorum, Bobby Jindal, 3rd party (Green and Justice mentioned), Other R (Bush mentioned), are tied for 7th. Tied for 12th is Andrew Cuomo and Marco Rubio, each with 1 vote. Hickenlooper, sadly has 0.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2013, 01:02:34 PM »

As always when I see Clinton's name I click it and don't even read the other options~
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies