The anti-gay marriage crowd are now being treated as bigots; is this good?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:01:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The anti-gay marriage crowd are now being treated as bigots; is this good?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes (D)
No (D)
Yes (R)
No (R)
Yes (I)
No (I)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: The anti-gay marriage crowd are now being treated as bigots; is this good?  (Read 5223 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2013, 11:54:02 AM »

It's my religion is not even a weak excuse. People wanting to impose their religion on civil law that affects all citizens are the worst form of bigots. Anecdotal evidence isn't all that wonderful either, but it beats selectively pointing to a bronze age text that also condemns countless other practices whose legality nobody has any problem with.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2013, 12:12:37 PM »

OK, I've had it. Come at me, bro; come at me.

Why should I or Marokai or Snowguy or ilikeverin be denied the right to marry whom we want just because you think some damn book written 2000 years ago that you happen to believe in should dictate every policy in the United States of America? And if your justification isn't the Bible (though from what I remember of you it is), why should we be denied the right to marry? Are we bad for children? No. There is no evidence that that is the case. Do we make children gay? No. In fact, most gay people were born to straight parents - should we ban straight marriage? Do we ruin the sanctity of marriage by getting married? No, and if you care so much why don't you ban divorce? Is it because gay people simply weird you out? Tell me why you oppose gay marriage right now, JCL. I will accept nothing less than that.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2013, 12:33:28 PM »

Why should I or Marokai or Snowguy or ilikeverin be denied the right to marry whom we want just because you think some damn book written 2000 years ago that you happen to believe in should dictate every policy in the United States of America? And if your justification isn't the Bible (though from what I remember of you it is), why should we be denied the right to marry? Are we bad for children? No. There is no evidence that that is the case. Do we make children gay? No. In fact, most gay people were born to straight parents - should we ban straight marriage? Do we ruin the sanctity of marriage by getting married? No, and if you care so much why don't you ban divorce? Is it because gay people simply weird you out? Tell me why you oppose gay marriage right now, JCL. I will accept nothing less than that.

Actually the Bible really cannot be used to ban gay marriage, even if the Bible was applicable to our nation's politics. Making up what's in the Bible; however, has been used.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2013, 12:34:06 PM »

You are indeed extremely right on this issue.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2013, 12:45:54 PM »

Actually the Bible really cannot be used to ban gay marriage, even if the Bible was applicable to our nation's politics. Making up what's in the Bible; however, has been used.

Huh. My opinion of you has gone from spawn of Satan to merely HP.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2013, 12:53:07 PM »

It's my religion is not even a weak excuse. People wanting to impose their religion on civil law that affects all citizens are the worst form of bigots. Anecdotal evidence isn't all that wonderful either, but it beats selectively pointing to a bronze age text that also condemns countless other practices whose legality nobody has any problem with.

Indeed. Orthodox Jews may oppose the consumption of pork; Mormons may oppose the consumption of alcohol; Muslims oppose the consumption of both pork and alcohol. Good reason for banning the consumption of either by law?

Moral suasion, unreliable as it can be, is more effective.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2013, 02:59:10 PM »

Huh. My opinion of you has gone from spawn of Satan to merely HP.

I'm actually a nice guy, but politics on the internetz is always serious business.

I admit that the lack of actually having a conversation in person affects how I view people, even when politics is being discussed.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies