Last State to ratify marriage equality.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:15:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Last State to ratify marriage equality.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Last State to ratify marriage equality.  (Read 3420 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2013, 07:48:59 AM »

Utah -- unless the LDS hierarchy has a 'revelation' that homosexuality is to be tolerated as an indelible part of life. Drinking whiskey and coffee are choices. Homosexuality isn't.

The attitudes will be shown in an ad like this:

I am a businessperson, I am a mother of two adorable children, I am a cellist, and I am a lesbian -- and I'm a Mormon!
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2013, 08:52:27 PM »

Utah -- unless the LDS hierarchy has a 'revelation' that homosexuality is to be tolerated as an indelible part of life. Drinking whiskey and coffee are choices. Homosexuality isn't.

The attitudes will be shown in an ad like this:

I am a businessperson, I am a mother of two adorable children, I am a cellist, and I am a lesbian -- and I'm a Mormon!

If there was intense public pressure on Mormons to allow coffee and alcohol, the Mormons would change the policy in a heartbeat, and a majority of Mormons would accept it. A decent fraction wouldn't, of course, but not enough to make a difference.

See polygamy, attitudes towards African-Americans, ect.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2013, 09:08:10 PM »

Well, there's already a (supposedly celibate) gay LDS man in a leadership position in an LDS congregation in San Fransisco. Look up Mitch Mayne. So to be honest, it won't take long. And as a Mormon who's a believer in marriage equality, I welcome that.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013, 09:23:36 AM »

Well LDS affiliated groups are still dabbling in ‘ex gay’ programmes subjecting people to psychological abuse. So I’d rather it deal with and shut that down before it supports marriage equality.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 09:25:52 AM »

Utah, definitely.  How long did it take the Mormons to recognize blacks as "not-the-Devil" again? 
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2013, 10:26:56 AM »

Indiana because we'll never do it. Being gay is a choice like coffee vs whiskey. Whoever thinks it isn't it is unwise.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2013, 10:52:01 AM »

Indiana because we'll never do it. Being gay is a choice like coffee vs whiskey. Whoever thinks it isn't it is unwise.

Insert snarky "not sure if serious" photo
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2013, 10:56:10 AM »

There you go again JCL. Creating your own brand of ‘truth’ inside your own head. Evidently homosexuality isn’t a choice; that is understood. In the same manner in which heterosexuality isn’t a choice. No one is entirely sure what factors cause either. No one makes a conscious decision to look at something and decide that from this day forth a particular arrangement of genitalia and secondary sexual characteristics is going to cause your pupils to dilate, your heart rate increase and blood to engorge your penis. And even if you did think it was a choice, then what’s your religion and faith other than a choice too?

...and it's whisky Wink
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2013, 11:53:25 AM »

Your state voted for Barack Obama in 2008 and voted against Richard Mourdock in 2012.

There's still hope for Indiana.

Compliments from someone in Michigan.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies