Obama's dangerous new narrative
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:37:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama's dangerous new narrative
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Obama's dangerous new narrative  (Read 3355 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 15, 2013, 10:50:09 AM »
« edited: May 15, 2013, 10:58:40 AM by Torie »

Politico seems to have taken the gloves off in its coverage of Obama and his administration (Dick Allen, its owner, was on the Hugh Hewitt show yesterday, just chewing up Obama and spiting him out, much to Hewitt's delight obviously). Is all of this just manageable vein leakage, or has a major artery of the Administration been severed, with the intensive care room its next venue?  

I am a bit surprised that none of this chatter seems to have been put up on this Board (at least that I have noticed). It appears the Pubs around here have been beaten into submission, and have become tame little puppy dogs. Where's krazen?! Tongue
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 10:57:13 AM »

Obama's innocence is irrelevant.  I fully expect this to end in his impeachment. Republicans are out for blood.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 10:59:35 AM »

Obama's innocence is irrelevant.  I fully expect this to end in his impeachment. Republicans are out for blood.

BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 10:59:51 AM »
« Edited: May 15, 2013, 11:01:24 AM by BluegrassBlueVote »

It took all of five seconds for Politico to deteriorate into E! News hackery this morning. The string of tweets I woke up to were ridiculously optimistic. I mean, the party's abandoning Obama? What? We haven't even seen public opinion on this yet.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 11:35:17 AM »

Politico is synonymous with "Beltway Conventional Wisdom". And we all know how accurately it portrays what happens in the real world.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 11:47:44 AM »

It wouldn't surprise me if the House GOP went for impeachment. If for no other reason, just to run the clock out on the Obama Presidency and hope it positions them better for 2016. Obviously, they're not going to get a conviction in the Senate, but the Republicans have never been remotely serious about governing with him. It's been death panels and filibusters on everything since day one.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 11:52:38 AM »

People still take Politico seriously? How many times have they played the Obama is doom narrative.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 11:59:53 AM »

Has Politico ever had gloves on when it came to Obama. Nothing new is no news, Torie.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 12:17:38 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me if the House GOP went for impeachment. If for no other reason, just to run the clock out on the Obama Presidency and hope it positions them better for 2016. Obviously, they're not going to get a conviction in the Senate, but the Republicans have never been remotely serious about governing with him. It's been death panels and filibusters on everything since day one.
I did some quick Wikipedia research lest anybody think I was making an unfair claim.
House Dems voting for major Bush legislation

No Child Left Behind 197
2001 Tax Cuts 28
War in Iraq 82
2003 Tax Cuts 4
Medicare Part D 9
Bankruptcy Reform 73
TARP 172

House Republicans voting for major Obama legislation
Ledbetter Fair Pay 3
Stimulus 0
Health Care Law 0
Dodd-Frank financial reform 0
Repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell 15
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 12:42:30 PM »

Check out the year 1998 in your history book sometime.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 12:43:20 PM »

It's not comparable.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 12:53:15 PM »

You'll find John Boehner somewhere in the recount of that GOP backfire, I'm sure. He just happens to be the Speaker of the House now.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 12:56:11 PM »

I put the odds of impeachment at at least 50/50. Given that even this will lose its charm after a while:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/15/us/politics/house-republicans-to-vote-again-on-repealing-health-care.html?hp
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 01:07:16 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2013, 01:09:19 PM by Yank2133 »

Congress is such an embarrassment.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 01:14:39 PM »

Politico is akin to a tabloid most of the time.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 01:34:31 PM »

It took all of five seconds for Politico to deteriorate into E! News hackery this morning. The string of tweets I woke up to were ridiculously optimistic. I mean, the party's abandoning Obama? What? We haven't even seen public opinion on this yet.

What little polling I've seen shows the "scandals" aren't hurting the Democrats one iota.

But I think Congress will impeach, and end up looking stupider than ever.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 01:36:51 PM »

If, IF, Obama was impeached, that will now have been two consecutive Democratic presidents by a GOP congress. The GOP certainly look like a bunch of spoiled brats.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 01:40:28 PM »

If, IF, Obama was impeached, that will now have been two consecutive Democratic presidents by a GOP congress. The GOP certainly look like a bunch of spoiled brats.

If this happens, the most recent Democratic President to have not been impeached will be Jimmy Carter.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 01:43:17 PM »

I am a bit surprised that none of this chatter seems to have been put up on this Board (at least that I have noticed). It appears the Pubs around here have been beaten into submission, and have become tame little puppy dogs. Where's krazen?! Tongue

Since November, USGD has turned into "Republicans said something mean" threads that are usually taken out of context or at best some random state rep that no one has heard of. I know I've stopped checking it as often, and I'm sure other Pubs have as well. The other forums are much less of a lefty circle jerk anyways.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 01:51:17 PM »

Politico is synonymous with "Beltway Conventional Wisdom". And we all know how accurately it portrays what happens in the real world.

There's nothing new about Benghazi.

For AP, the government wiretapped to find a national security leak. Like they can do with anyone else. Did the press really think they had special rights?

On the IRS, that was wrong to unfairly target, but what does Obama have to do with that?
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 02:09:52 PM »

Politico keeps out-dumbing itself.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/05/dem-2016-poll-hillary-clinton-still-on-top-91417.html

"The renewed interest in the Sept. 11, 2012, attack at the U.S. post in Benghazi, Libya, has not shaken Hillary Clinton’s position among potential 2016 contenders, according to a new poll.
The former Secretary of State — under fire by conservatives who say she played politics with the attack in which ambassador Christopher Stevens and three others were killed — still leads the potential 2016 Democratic field with 63 percent of the vote in her party, according to a Public Policy Polling poll released Wednesday."

"Still" on top. Wait, you mean Democrats don't hold Benghazi against her? Shocking! Great analysis!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 02:17:05 PM »

I'm not sure what is "spoiled" about this. If you want to say that they'll potentially look bad (especially since views of the GOP sunk during the last impeachment process), fine. People may dislike the reasons for pursuing it however I don't think going for impeachment makes them look like brats simply because they impeached the last Democratic President.
perdedor

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 02:42:03 PM »

Impeaching Obama has been an objective of the GOP since January 2009. I don't expect them to pass on a semi-legitimate excuse to do so.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 03:17:10 PM »

I'm not sure what is "spoiled" about this. If you want to say that they'll potentially look bad (especially since views of the GOP sunk during the last impeachment process), fine. People may dislike the reasons for pursuing it however I don't think going for impeachment makes them look like brats simply because they impeached the last Democratic President.

I think the 'spoiled' refers to the fact that they can't bear to have anything less than total control.  When the GOP is partially 'out of power' it behaves incredibly viciously, in contrast to the Democrats, who usually go along with most things the GOP wants, and certainly never go so far as to actually attack the Republican president.  Another way to look at this is the GOP is the ruling party and the Democrats are just the fake-out.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 05:37:36 PM »

The President just gave what by all accounts was the most useless say nothing Presidential statement in history.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies