SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: Gov't Oversight and Reform (Game Reform/PC) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:29:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: Gov't Oversight and Reform (Game Reform/PC) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: Gov't Oversight and Reform (Game Reform/PC)  (Read 5348 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« on: May 18, 2013, 08:10:04 AM »

X can be fill in chair. I already have obligations on two other committees, including Internal Affairs Chair.

What about you Nappy? Why should I pick you instead?

You shouldn't. Tongue Smiley
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 10:53:56 PM »

I support the measures.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 09:12:20 AM »

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 06:32:34 PM »

RECOMMENDATION VOTE

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The following vote shall last for 48 hours or until all the sitting committee members have voted, whichever comes first:

Should the above amendment be passed by the Senate and sent to the Regions for ratification?
[   ] Yes
[  x ] No
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 09:27:27 AM »

Okay let me think real quick.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 09:16:31 AM »

I'm open to looking into a govrnmentql reorganization but pehaps with two members we should wait. Truth is, he system has Grown very stale.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 03:49:34 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2013, 03:52:31 PM by Senator Napoleon »

Having served in each Senate class, I would say concretely that being a regional Senator is more fun- for the fact that you represent a distinct set of constituents that you are able to get to know and represent and advocate on their behalf. I would frequently contact citizens and the regional government to find ways I could help them as a Senator. From an elections standpoint, at-large seats are more fun. Being able to compete for every vote and having an open competition is fun, and you tend to see more competitive elections. In a regional race you usually get a one-on-one and the incumbent has a huge natural advantage.

It's easier to do your job as a regional Senator but the at-large seats are directionless and tend to attract the types that are personally popular and can bring the votes for their party. This is a flaw, but its countered with the fact that its extremely easy for an incumbent in a regional seat to build an impenetrable power base in their home region by doing a good job. Both classes will suffer drawbacks no matter what we do.

I think I'd be more open to merging the Senate and Cabinet, and holding elections every two months for all seats on a party list system. Basically a psuedo-parliamentary system. We could still find a way to incorporate the regions, but balance them with population. Reapportioning could take place every six months or so.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 09:01:49 PM »

I realize TNF is on vacation and thus some slowness is to be expected, but come on Nappy. Disgonbegood man. Tongue

Hey, you're the chair here. Haul them in if you please, I'll participate.

I also had an idea for our next topic. We ought to consider how to make committees more meaningful.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 12:09:52 PM »

Aye
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 09:56:32 PM »

What problem were you trying to solve and how was your solution supposed to be an improvement?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 03:16:48 AM »

What problem were you trying to solve and how was your solution supposed to be an improvement?
Dead region, delegation of power to a working legislature.

How does that solve a problem? It would appear that's just shoving a problem on to someone else without asking if they were willing to take care of it. That's beyond rude.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 11:52:02 PM »

Overreaction much?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 12:04:26 AM »
« Edited: July 28, 2013, 12:09:33 AM by Senator Napoleon »

I'm reading his post again and it doesn't appear to insult anyone. This
You must be logged in to read this quote.
on the other hand, is more insulting IMO than an off the cuff remark about Troll-be-gone.

We could all try to be a bit more civil, sure, I'd include myself in that and I try but sometimes disagreements can get heated- that's natural, that's politics. I don't think these guys have any interest or concern regarding civility though.

Anyway as far as I'm concerned any member of the administration is welcome to speak before the committee at any time and we welcome their input. Smiley
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 01:51:25 PM »

Dead region, delegation of power to a working legislature.

How does that solve a problem? It would appear that's just shoving a problem on to someone else without asking if they were willing to take care of it. That's beyond rude.

Answer the quesrion. How was that supposed to solve a problem?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 08:53:24 PM »

Dude you should change the topic header.

We can discuss the recent proposal. I personally think four regions is better than three but I'd rather go with what is more likely to pass- I think four at the moment would work.

What we need to do is open it up to allow the new regions to do whatever they want and people to move for free if they choose to. I don't want to just stick people in a region for population's sake and have them stuck there and I don't think that the federal government should dictate what regions succeeds which. Basically, I support a regional "reset" if we are to go through with this.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 09:38:30 AM »

We can discuss the recent proposal. I personally think four regions is better than three but I'd rather go with what is more likely to pass- I think four at the moment would work.

What we need to do is open it up to allow the new regions to do whatever they want and people to move for free if they choose to. I don't want to just stick people in a region for population's sake and have them stuck there and I don't think that the federal government should dictate what regions succeeds which. Basically, I support a regional "reset" if we are to go through with this.

So you would expect the free movement would thus reduce the controversy over what states go where. What about the Senate?

I haven't given it much thought but there are plenty of options
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 08:02:10 AM »

Which do you tihnk is the most advantageous toward getting the plan passed?

I have no idea I was hoping a full discussion before the Senate would lend some insight.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies