Southeast Asian countries poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:21:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Southeast Asian countries poll
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which two countries would you choose to visit?
Burma

Brunei

Cambodia

East Timor

Indonesia

Laos

Malaysia

Philippines

Singapore

Thailand

Vietnam

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Southeast Asian countries poll  (Read 873 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2013, 08:29:42 PM »

I went with Thailand and Laos, although the Indonesian island of Bali might be nice.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 12:58:47 AM »

In January I've been to Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore and Cambodia so I have to exclude those from consideration.

Out of those left I suppose Indonesia and Malaysia would be the logical choices.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 05:15:25 AM »

Laos and Thailand.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 07:36:07 AM »

I've been to half of those countries already, but definitely Singapore and the Philippines.  Spent a week in Singapore back in the early 1990s, and as I've said on here numerous times, if I were to ever have to leave the US, Singapore would be my first choice as a second home. 

The Philippines are next because a) I speak Tagalog (though I'm getting rusty), b) the Northern-half (especially Luzon) is very "Americanized", c) all the lovely lovely ladies, and d) my retirment money will allow me to live like a king out there.  Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 07:45:47 AM »

I voted for Thailand for obvious reasons.  I don't like the Philippines.  Been to most of these, but the other one I can't wait to go is Burma, so that's my other vote.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 09:20:07 AM »

I work in a blue collar factory here that employs people from all over south east east or that have visited these places. Here is what they have told me, or unfounded hearsay:

BURMA is unremarkable besides their interesting reforms and not worth your tourist dollars.

BRUNEI is a country that exists?

CAMBODIA is full of half-wits and good scenery, and plenty of people being forced into virtual homelessness because they cannot prove that they have inhabited land their ancestors lived in for ages.

EAST TIMOR is on fire.

INDONESIA is a country with great diversity and lots of Muslims who like to kill Australian livestock in cruel ways. BALI is where white people go who don't have tons of money so that they can be harrassed by merchants and imprisoned for drugs.

LAOS is something besides a spelling mistake.

MALAYSIA has decent food and is a great place to stop for a couple of days to be sweaty on your way to India.

The PHILIPPINES are so Catholic and proper that they can't wait to move somewhere less anal. And there are entire cities that exist within graveyards. And one Filipino cannot speak to another because islands.

SINGAPORE contains sad people unhappy about their depression because they're disappointed in the legality of spitting. Also, five star hotels!!!!!!

THAILAND is great as long as you stay within tourist areas and aren't offended by women with penises larger than your own.

VIETNAM is beautiful and everyone there adores Bill Clinton. And it's ridiculously easy to get a driver's license.

Based on the retarded information my brain has decided to associate with these countries, I'd choose Thailand and Vietnam.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 10:34:11 AM »

Oops.  I should have listed Brunei first, for alphabetical reasons.  Oh well.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 10:34:33 AM »

I chose Indonesia and Malaysia, no reason other than they seem more interesting than the rest but this isn't really a part of the world I'm that interested in. Brunei? No.
HoosierPoliticalJunkie

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 01:56:11 PM »

Sinapore.

I love their economic policies!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 02:35:43 PM »

East Timor and Brunei seems nice. I am afraid to go to the other countries listed.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 05:34:31 PM »

I am afraid to go to the other countries listed.

Not sure if serious.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 01:23:59 AM »

Thailand and Singapore.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 09:58:03 AM »

The Philippines are next because a) I speak Tagalog (though I'm getting rusty), b) the Northern-half (especially Luzon) is very "Americanized", c) all the lovely lovely ladies, and d) my retirment money will allow me to live like a king out there.  Smiley

How does it happen that you speak Tagalog?  Were you 'in the service' there?

Regarding the retirement issue, it is true that the Philippines - if you get away from the larger cities on Luzon and certain relatively urbanized tourist areas there, you'll do very, very well as an expat, particularly if you want to have a lot of 'girlfriends' who are not technically pros.

Thailand is enormously more developed and advanced than the Philippines, tremendously safer, and the women are on average better looking (though general the white guys get the dregs, so its in practice equal), but alas the cost of living has increased a lot due to this economic success.  Also the women available to whiteys are more obviously mercenary than in Philippines - Thais aren't really taken in by the concept of romance, not really - they're cold hard practical people.  So, I'd still recommend Thailand for retirement, based on quality of life, but its a closer coin-toss than it used to be.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 02:14:53 PM »

I've been to a few of these countries. My impressions -

Cambodia - This sounds so condescending, but..they are very pitiable. Everyone uses the US dollar instead of the local currency there. Many merchants there speak Vietnamese because Vietnamese are so important to the local economy. There is a lack of strong national identity and/or pride. The rural landscape is admittedly beautiful, and Angkor Wat is well worth going to.

Indonesia - I've been to Jakarta and Bali. Jakarta has the traffic of Los Angeles, no public transportation, and nothing to do. Don't go. You can *feel* the touristyness of Bali all the time, seems like every shop and building there has something to do with tourism, there's hardly any  authenticity when it seems like every place is marketed towards Australians. The people are typically very nice and friendly though, although stay away from the obvious scams (don't exchange money at anything that isn't an official bank, for example)

Philippines - Haven't been here in years, so don't have much to say about it. I recall it being Catholic - churches and cathedrals everywhere. Most people speak English and definitely lean on the friendlier and hospitable side of Southeast Asia.

Singapore - If you've never traveled outside of the West before this is definitely the safest place to travel. Everyone speaks English - even that old Chinese lady you wouldn't expect to, it's completely clean and safe, big malls, urban squares, ritzy buildings for you to have fun. If you're looking for cultural experiences beyond that though, it's pretty lacking.

Thailand - Also haven't been here for over 10 years. Thailand seems to be very well known among Western tourists, so I don't have much to contribute except their KFC tastes nothing like American KFC!

Vietnam - Lol. The motherland. Now...I don't want to discourage anyone from traveling to Vietnam, but....let's just say, you could generally describe the other countries above as friendly and hospitable. Not Vietnam. When Vietnamese people see a tourist, their first thought is "how can I make money off this person?" Cab drivers will rig their meters, restaurants will have two menus - one for the local and one for the foreigner -, hotels will be deceitful about the pricing, hooligans on mopeds will snatch your purse and before you know it they are gone. Don't take it too personally though, Vietnamese people don't even trust each other. Hustling others is the way to get ahead in Vietnam.

Now that I've scared everyone off, on the plus side objectively I'd say there are some great places worth seeing in Vietnam. Ha Long Bay is worth it. Hoi An is interesting for the authentic, preserved city that is like a window into French colonial times. There are cool imperial palaces, warm beaches, and Buddhist temples to go to. Unfortunately most of the Vietnam War trails and tunnels have been rebuilt or were constructed after the war for tourists, so keep that in mind if you decide to check 'em out. It's an interesting place, and definitely one that won't feel too touristy. You just gotta be on guard that's all - most Vietnamese people have no ill will towards outsiders at all. They just gotta make a living Tongue
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 02:34:35 PM »

Cambodia - This sounds so condescending, but..they are very pitiable. Everyone uses the US dollar instead of the local currency there. Many merchants there speak Vietnamese because Vietnamese are so important to the local economy. There is a lack of strong national identity and/or pride. The rural landscape is admittedly beautiful, and Angkor Wat is well worth going to.

I was wondering why Cambodia wasn't doing better in the poll.  They once had a great empire, but apparently the Khmer Rouge damaged their pride severely.

Anyway, one of the reasons why I'm interested in the region is the food; l love Thai and Vietnamese food, especially Thai (I'm fairly iron-tongued).  Rambutans and pomelos are delicious, and I'm interested in tasting the durian.  I've heard that Filipino food is bland, though.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 02:48:38 PM »

When Vietnamese people see a tourist, their first thought is "how can I make money off this person?" Cab drivers will rig their meters, restaurants will have two menus - one for the local and one for the foreigner -, hotels will be deceitful about the pricing, hooligans on mopeds will snatch your purse and before you know it they are gone. Don't take it too personally though, Vietnamese people don't even trust each other. Hustling others is the way to get ahead in Vietnam.

Haha, that was exactly my impression of Vietnam.  In Thailand everyone is incredibly honest outside of just a few ugly/unpleasant tourist zones (namely Caow-San Road or other 'backpacker' oriented places - Pattaya and other sex-tourist places are surprisingly honest - I attribute this to the fact that backpackers are so insufferable). 

In fairness the standard of living in Thailand is about 5 or 6 times higher than in Vietnam, so the idea of cheating someone for a few bucks is just not interesting.

I was wondering why Cambodia wasn't doing better in the poll.  They once had a great empire, but apparently the Khmer Rouge damaged their pride severely.

Actually Cambodia is very well worth visiting, I think its just doing poorly because it isn't as diverse in its attractions as most of the other destinations.

Anyway, one of the reasons why I'm interested in the region is the food; l love Thai and Vietnamese food, especially Thai (I'm fairly iron-tongued).  Rambutans and pomelos are delicious, and I'm interested in tasting the durian.  I've heard that Filipino food is bland, though.

Yeah Filipino is downright unappealing.  Quite boring and not as cheap as it should be.  Durian is fantastic, and the season is beginning soon - I can't wait.  But I don't like fruits in general.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 02:54:03 PM »

Malaysia and the Philippines. 
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 02:57:24 PM »

Of course Thailand is winning...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 03:59:57 PM »

As it does irl.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 08:52:37 AM »

How does it happen that you speak Tagalog?  Were you 'in the service' there?

I grew up with, worked with, and have been friends with Filipino's all my life.  Many of them were aboard the various ships I've sailed on. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 12:21:32 PM »

I grew up with, worked with, and have been friends with Filipino's all my life.  Many of them were aboard the various ships I've sailed on. 

I see! They are often working in the 'merchant marine'.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 12:50:17 PM »

While not extremely fussy by American standards, I'm pretty insistent on a few things that are standard here but may not be in less developed nations. In particular, air-conditioning and indoor plumbing. I'd have to do some research as to where these amenities are commonplace. All that said, it would be spectacular to see some large scale ancient ruins like Angkor War or Borobudur.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 01:05:29 PM »

While not extremely fussy by American standards, I'm pretty insistent on a few things that are standard here but may not be in less developed nations. In particular, air-conditioning and indoor plumbing. I'd have to do some research as to where these amenities are commonplace. All that said, it would be spectacular to see some large scale ancient ruins like Angkor War or Borobudur.

You'll find those amenities in Thailand, obviously, memphis.  Nowadays the 'western toilet' (or sit-down toilet) is available almost everywhere, and in addition most toilets have the sprayer, which is in fact superior to American toilets (with their reliance on the filthy, chaffing 'toilet paper').  Air conditioning is also found virtually everywhere in terms of offices, shopping malls, hotels, though it is not uncommon to sit outside with a fan in the cheaper restaurants and bars.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies