Western states and medical marijuana
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:13:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Western states and medical marijuana
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Western states and medical marijuana  (Read 1850 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2005, 02:22:25 AM »

Why is it that western states are so much friendlier to legalising medical marijuana than eastern ones?

Medical marijuana is legal in Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Montana, Oregon, and Washington.  It is only legal in two eastern states, Maine and Vermont.

It surprises me that Massachusetts doesn't have an effective medical marijuana law on books, nor does New Hampshire, a state that I'd think would be open to this for similar reasons to Alaska and Montana.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 04:08:49 AM »

Because they're westerner.
I'm beggining to agree with Walter Mitty: New Hampshire's libertarianism is overstated. It's probably as libertarian as Delaware(which ain't that bad).
Sagebrush is the way to go.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 04:47:56 AM »

I still don't understand, though, why Massachusetts would be against it.  The answer I've gotten is generally "nanny state liberalism," which doesn't really mean much of anything.  Socially liberal is socially liberal, and I don't see why Massachusetts would be any less friendly to medical marijuana than - say - Colorado, a state I would hardly call purely libertarian.  The same goes for most right coast states.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 06:24:56 AM »

I still don't understand, though, why Massachusetts would be against it.  The answer I've gotten is generally "nanny state liberalism," which doesn't really mean much of anything.  Socially liberal is socially liberal, and I don't see why Massachusetts would be any less friendly to medical marijuana than - say - Colorado, a state I would hardly call purely libertarian.  The same goes for most right coast states.

Probably Catholic influence.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 06:26:33 AM »

I was unaware Catholicism was more anti-marijuana than Protestantism.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 06:41:08 AM »

Perhaps marijuana use is more popular - more common - in the West?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 06:46:28 AM »

I was unaware Catholicism was more anti-marijuana than Protestantism.

It's more militantly so. Besides, teh West has a larger portion of non-religious people than the East.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 06:51:58 AM »

Well, I know in Washington, medical marijuana was legalised with 60% or so of the vote, passing in most counties, even in the eastern part of the state.  I don't imagine that 60% of the state - or anywhere near it - uses marijuana.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 07:10:01 AM »

Well, I know in Washington, medical marijuana was legalised with 60% or so of the vote, passing in most counties, even in the eastern part of the state.  I don't imagine that 60% of the state - or anywhere near it - uses marijuana.

Well, surely at least 60% have used it at some point in their lives.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 06:26:49 PM »

nanny state liberalism is the correct answer, alcon.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 06:38:15 PM »

Does it even matter, after Gonzales v. Raich? Seems to me the fed is just going to stick its nose into everything.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 12:05:09 AM »

nanny state liberalism is the correct answer, alcon.

Again, that's not helpful.  It just tells me that Massachusetts doesn't allow it (which I already know), not the reasoning behind it.

Well, surely at least 60% have used it at some point in their lives.

And that's less true in the east?  Why?
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 01:52:21 AM »

New England Liberalism is...weird.

New England, on a whole, follows such a different political dynamic than the rest of the country that it nearly defies explanation.

Maybe it has a more authoritarian streak?

Or it's a religion issue [again, keeping in mind that trying to use religion to explain politics in New England will usually lead nowhere]...

Or, more likely, it's just due to a confluence of circumstances--the way the groups happen to pan out, not any "New England Character"
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 02:03:29 AM »

New England, on a whole, follows such a different political dynamic than the rest of the country that it nearly defies explanation.

Or it's a religion issue [again, keeping in mind that trying to use religion to explain politics in New England will usually lead nowhere]...

Or, more likely, it's just due to a confluence of circumstances--the way the groups happen to pan out, not any "New England Character"

See : Puritanism.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2005, 02:08:40 AM »

How does legalizing gay marriage make Massachusetts authoritarian?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2005, 02:32:46 AM »

Because it was done b the courts?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2005, 02:34:52 AM »

Because it was done b the courts?

The MA legislature could have stopped it. Connecticut is one of the states that created civil unions without courts being involved.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2005, 02:02:55 AM »

The reason is b/c all the medical marijuana stuff is through referendums, not done by the legislature. Here in New England, it is very hard and very rare to get a popular referendum, except in MA for the marriage thing apparently. To get medical weed here congressmen would have to go out on a limb and vote for it, putting them at risk at the next election.

You guys out west seem to vote on every little issue, proposition, etc. Whether for taxes, marriage, recall, whatever. That is direct democracy, we are more traditional on this side of the country. Only the legislature makes the laws. That is also the reason why women had the vote out west (Wyoming 1869, etc.) long before they had it nationally.

It is not b/c of religion, but as far as being nanny state liberalism, that may be kind of true since ballot initiatives wouldn't be a part of that system.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2005, 11:36:12 PM »

Alot of new trends tend to come out of the west so lets hope that we see this trend expanding
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2005, 11:46:51 PM »

I don't get it. With atrocities like Gonzales v. Raich, does it really matter what state law says?
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2005, 11:48:47 PM »

A decade or so down the line there will probably be different justicies...
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2005, 11:51:59 PM »

Wouldn't make any difference until then. Anyway, I don't see the Court getting much more conservative in the next 10 years.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2005, 04:49:26 PM »

who said legalizing medical marijuana is a conservative position?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies