Clues that could point to other universes discovered by Planck Telescope
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:38:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Clues that could point to other universes discovered by Planck Telescope
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clues that could point to other universes discovered by Planck Telescope  (Read 380 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2013, 10:13:27 AM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2326869/Is-universe-merely-billions-Evidence-existence-multiverse-revealed-time-cosmic-map.html

"The first 'hard evidence' that other universes exist has been found by scientists.

Cosmologists studying a map of the universe from data gathered by the Planck spacecraft have concluded that it shows anomalies that can only have been caused by the gravitational pull of other universes.

The map shows radiation from the Big Bang 13.8billion years ago that is still detectable in the universe - known as cosmic microwave radiation."
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 10:24:38 AM »

Sure makes me feel small.  Very interesting find.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 10:59:01 AM »

This article is most likely bunk, fwiw. The theory has been out there for years and Professor Mersini-Houghton brings it up quite publicly every time the vaguest irregularity in the background radiation has been discovered.

It might just be instrument error, it could be due to a reaaaaally huge empty spot in space, it might seem so extreme only due to contrast from neighboring regions of space, or it could be the echo of any number of things (besides other universes) that happened in the short amount of time after the big bang.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 01:23:12 PM »

It's certainly interesting to think about. If there are other universes out there, they could feature entirely different rules of physics that we, in this universe, couldn't even begin to comprehend. To be honest, this theory pretty much represents my only small hope for an afterlife.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 03:03:19 PM »

It's certainly interesting to think about. If there are other universes out there, they could feature entirely different rules of physics that we, in this universe, couldn't even begin to comprehend. To be honest, this theory pretty much represents my only small hope for an afterlife.

I think the probability of other universes is so high that it makes the millions of galaxies in this universe and the trillions upon trillions of stars, planets and moons seem trivial. And given that makes our little planet even more trivial, I feel I'm on the same level of importance as a proton.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 03:33:12 PM »

I get that... but at the same time, the only thing I really know is my own existence. So in a way, that fact puts me squarely in the centre of all of it. I've got to operate under the assumption that the same is true of everyone else of course, but still. Maybe it's selfish, but it's all I'll ever know.

So I guess I'd say that importance is relative. In our own spheres of influence, we are actually integral. We may be a speck in the overall picture, but the overall picture is so unknowable that it just doesn't really phase me.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies