Hungary Destroys All Monsanto GMO Corn Fields
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:31:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Hungary Destroys All Monsanto GMO Corn Fields
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hungary Destroys All Monsanto GMO Corn Fields  (Read 2103 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 20, 2013, 01:31:55 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Real Farmacy
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 03:29:30 PM »

and you people are worried about anti-vaccine conspiritards.  The anti-GM are costing lives (not that this particular case will cost lives, but similar bans in Africa certainly do).
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »

and you people are worried about anti-vaccine conspiritards.  The anti-GM are costing lives (not that this particular case will cost lives, but similar bans in Africa certainly do).

The funny thing is that unscientific views on GM foods are far far more harmful than the young earth creationism that I keep hearing about.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 10:09:34 PM »

Considering that children (and sometimes adults) can and do die of the diseases that they could have been vaccinated against, those people are dangerous too.

The funny thing is that unscientific views on GM foods are far far more harmful than the young earth creationism that I keep hearing about.

Which doesn't make young earth creationism any more scientific or any more constitutional to teach in public schools. Anything useful to add?
HoosierPoliticalJunkie

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 10:30:06 PM »

Which doesn't make young earth creationism any more scientific or any more constitutional to teach in public schools. Anything useful to add?

Perhaps, but certainly GM is more pressing.  Besides, this shows the utter hypocrisy of the far-left when they claim to hold the mantle on scientific progress.  They don't.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 06:18:31 AM »

Perhaps, but certainly GM is more pressing.  Besides, this shows the utter hypocrisy of the far-left when they claim to hold the mantle on scientific progress.  They don't.

1. There is no significant opposition to GM foods in the US, at least not to the point where there's enough to get them banned.
2. The ruling political group in Hungary is an alliance between the Fidesz (classified as center-right to right-wing) and the Christian Democratic People's Party (classified as right-wing). The Minister of Rural Development is a member of the former. They hold two thirds of all seat in parliament. Before you go blaming the far left for this, you might want to make sure the far left is actually responsible for it.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 08:05:00 AM »

OMG, LOL. Hungary has a nationalist quasi-fascist government, the furthest right in the EU. Not exactly "far left"
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 08:16:05 AM »

In many parts of Europe, the right is more anti-GMO than the left is (especially when speaking of mainstream politics).

In the UK, Sir James Goldsmith was a prominent campaigner against GMO's. Kind of hilarious given his background.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 08:20:59 AM »

That said as stupid as kneejerk anti-GMO hysteria is, I approve of this action. Monsanto needs to be destroyed.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 08:32:16 AM »

OMG, LOL. Hungary has a nationalist quasi-fascist government, the furthest right in the EU. Not exactly "far left"

In Europe the right can be anti-GMO, but if we are talking about America, anti-GMO is the domain of the left.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 04:14:00 AM »

I strongly disapprove of knee-jerk anti GMO policies, but I strongly support giving the middle finger to Monsanto. Not sure how to feel.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 07:48:47 AM »

Monsanto is a horrible company but they look like angles next to people that are anti-GMO.  Ok, maybe not angels....cute puppies.
Benj

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 08:31:47 AM »

Monsanto is a horrible company but they look like angles next to people that are anti-GMO.  Ok, maybe not angels....cute puppies.

Meh, at least the anti-GMO people think they're doing good. They're just dangerously stupid.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 09:37:26 AM »

In Europe the right can be anti-GMO, but if we are talking about America, anti-GMO is the domain of the left.

This thread is about Hungary.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 03:09:08 PM »

In theory I have no problem with GMO, in practice Monsanto's GMO products are made with one modification, extreme tolerance for high doses of Round-Up. So the only reason to reason to use their plants is if you plan to use enormous amount of Round-Up, something which are not healthy for either the environment or for the local population.

So good for hungary.
Link
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 03:12:05 PM »

I guess you like the average science scores of American students.  In an increasingly technologically advanced world that type of ignorance is very dangerous.

People are going to be hungry in Hungary.   Had to do it.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 04:58:31 PM »

People are going to be hungry in Hungary.   Had to do it.

What? Europe doesn't lack food and could really do well without GMOs.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies