Second Era of Good Feelings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:22:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Second Era of Good Feelings
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Second Era of Good Feelings  (Read 903 times)
WiseGuy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 22, 2005, 05:59:34 PM »
« edited: February 23, 2005, 09:30:44 AM by WiseGuy »

Part One

Despite vehement opposition and attempts to filibuster by the Democrats, the Presidents plan to privatize Social Security passes in the spring of '06.  the success of the Social Security privatization, coupled with the victorious return of the troops from Iraq, give the GOP the upper-hand in the mid-term elections; and they increase their majority by fifteen seats in the Senate, giving them a total of 70 seats.  As the new Senate meets for its first session in January, it's been three years since the North Koreans said they had weapons of mass destruction.  As the situation heats up, the Senate brings a bill to the floor to consider expanding SDI.  The Democrats again passionately oppose it on the basis that it will be too costly, but because of the huge Republican majority it passes.  One year and only 140 billion dollars later, it's completed.

Although no one knows it because the information was kept classified, the Missile Shield not only protects our Nation from attack, it has a range which covers a field of range from the Mid-East to Central Europe.  North Korea launches a Nuclear attack on South Korea, but the missile shield destroys the weapons in mid-air.  Word of the attack travels to the President, and he, along with the Joint Chiefs, devise a covert airborne attack on the North Korean nuclear storage facility, to be conducted at midnight.  The raid is executed without a single American casualty, and the North Koreans nuclear capability is destroyed.

The Republican Congress along with President Bush, force the North Koreans to the negotiating table and tell the Kim Jong Il to remove all military weapons out of range of the South Korean capital.  They also tell him that he must surrender his post or face war.  He does the former and through peaceful revolution, the North Korean people convince the government to hold democratic elections.  As a result, the Korean peninsula is reunited.  As the 2008 Presidential election draws near, the GOP holds its convention and nominates Rudy Giuliani for President with General Tommy R. Franks as his running mate.
Blerpiez
blerpiez

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 07:12:28 AM »

This timeline seems a little biased...

How do you expect the Republicans to win 30 of 33 senate elections based on one issue?
skybridge
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 07:54:24 AM »

I'm surprised you don't that they're working the damn SDI as I'm writing this! How did you ever come up with the figure that the damn thing is supposed to cost no more than 140 million dollars even in it's expanded form???
WiseGuy

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 08:33:07 AM »
« Edited: February 23, 2005, 08:34:48 AM by WiseGuy »

This timeline seems a little biased...

Yes, I do admit that it is.  This is my first attempt at a fantasy timeline, so any suggestions you have are welcome!

How do you expect the Republicans to win 30 of 33 senate elections based on one issue?

The Republicans only win 15 senate seats in the '06 elections, not 30.

I'm surprised you don't that they're working the damn SDI as I'm writing this! How did you ever come up with the figure that the damn thing is supposed to cost no more than 140 million dollars even in it's expanded form???

I'm sorry if it was confusing.  I didn't mean the part of SDI that they've already made. I meant an expansion that would give us the capability to destroy enemy missiles.  Also 140 million was an error, I meant to say billion, but I'm totally guessing at the figure.

I have made some adjustments to the story.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 08:34:14 AM »

The Republicans only win 15 senate seats in the '06 elections, not 30.
To gain 15 seats, they'd have to win 30.
WiseGuy

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 08:52:43 AM »

Oh, I get it now, there are fifteen Republican elections, so in order to gain fifteen seats, they would have to retain all of their seats plus win fifteen more, equaling thirty races in all.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies