Inks.LWC v. the Mideast Region (Mideast Superior Court) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:03:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Inks.LWC v. the Mideast Region (Mideast Superior Court) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Inks.LWC v. the Mideast Region (Mideast Superior Court)  (Read 3691 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« on: May 21, 2013, 09:35:09 PM »

The Court will hear the case. The Court will begin to accept briefs and begin a hearing once counsel has been named for the defendant.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 07:58:36 PM »

The motion to dismiss on lack of standing is denied. Whether or not an invalidation of drj's vote changes the outcome of the assembly election, the Court is inclined to use its power under Atlasia v. Libertas to visit this case, deeming that this is a repeatedly arising unclear issue in Mideast voting and a conclusive ruling on it would serve the interests of the Mideast citizens and the game as a whole.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 11:57:54 PM »

BaconKing, who are you representing?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 09:00:31 PM »

I would like to represent the defendant unless there's any objection to me doing so.

I've been working on my brief, and it's almost ready to be presented as soon as I'm approved.

The Court has decided to recognize Siren as a representative of the previous Mideast government when the vote was counted.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 10:18:13 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2013, 10:55:24 PM by TJ in Wisco »

Governor ZuWo has announced he would rule the same as Inks suggests he should; however, he hasn't recertified the results. The results were tabulated before he was elected. If not, he wouldn't be the governor. If ZuWo would go back and recertify the results, it would be unprecedented and incredibly bizarre for a governor to be elected, and then upon his taking office, go back and change the results of the vote he was elected in without a court ordering him to do so. No, the results were certified by former governor Tmthforu94. ZuWo was not governor at the time of the election and did not administer it.

As for whether or not Siren has standing to represent the Mideast region without having been appointed to do so, according to Atlasia v. Libertas, the Court will once again going to overlook the standing issue in accepting as precedent the Supreme Court's ruling. If standing were required to bring suit, this case would have been thrown out long ago since it is over a vote, which does not change any outcome, of a person who is no longer a resident, in a booth administered by a former governor who is also no longer a resident. If the Court is to consider standing a requirement, why should it hear this case at all?

If the Mideast Governor so chooses, he may appoint someone else to represent the region instead of Siren, but otherwise Siren is recognized by the Court.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 09:34:34 AM »

I don't understand what's going on.  I am suing the government of the Mideast Region.  The head of that Government is Governor ZuWo.  He is the only party in this case.

If anyone else is represented by an attorney, that party is an amicus curiae.  No governor would recertify the results without a court order, but this court can only order ZuWo to recertify the results; it cannot order Tmthforu to recertify them, because Tmthforu no longer has any power to do anything on behalf of the Mideast government.

This has nothing to do with standing... nobody has brought that up.

But I am confused over who is representing who, and who exactly the court is trying to treat as a party to this case.  This whole case has been a jumbled unclear mess, and I think we should get straight who is a party, and who is not before we're having people filing briefs.

I misunderstood you. I thought you were arguing that only Governor ZuWo has the standing to defend Governor Tmthforu, so anyone he has not appointed should not be able to defend the Mideast Region. Governor ZuWo expressed that he agreed with you on the way the vote should be counted, so I thought that meant he wasn't going to defend the region and I recognized Siren to defend it in his stead.

But that's not what you're arguing, is it? Are you saying Governor ZuWo should appoint someone else anyway and the Court should recognize Siren as amicus curiae?

Now, Governor ZuWo has agreed to let Siren represent the region.

Before continuing, are there any more issues?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 09:35:55 AM »

No eating in my courtroom!! If you continue to do so, you will be removed from the premises.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 11:17:57 PM »

I would like to have your brief by Saturday at 2:00 PM, Inks. Let me know if this deadline poses a problem.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 08:28:43 PM »

According to Merriam-Webster, the verb campaign means:
1 a connected series of military operations forming a distinct phase of a war
2 a connected series of operations designed to bring about a particular result <election campaign>

The first definition is clearly irrelevant to the case and the second has the qualifier that the series of operations must be designed to bring about a particular result. Under this definition, it appears that a voter must be intentionally trying to bring about a particular vote in order to be campaigning in the booth. Does the plaintiff agree with this definition? Was drj intentionally trying to persuade voters to vote against ZuWo and Cathcon in typing that? Does the plaintiff advocate an alternate definition of the verb campaign be used to interpret the law?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 08:43:40 PM »

Are there any other arguments from the involved parties before the Court makes its ruling?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 10:34:14 PM »

I was waiting to see if Siren had any more to add, but I think I can now safely assume not.

A ruling will be issued on Monday.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 09:41:41 PM »

Ruling on the suit brought by Speaker Inks.LWC against the Mideast Region
1. Which questions need to be answered?
Should the ballot cast by drj101 in the May Mideast Gubernatorial election be thrown out for campaigning in the booth, and what is the appropriate interpretation of the law forbidding campaigning in the booth in general?

2. Plaintiff’s Case:
Under Article IV of the Third Constitution, which states:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

under Article IV of the Mideast Constitution, which states:

and under the Mideast Campaigning in the Booth Statute, drj101’s vote calling Governor ZuWo and Lt. Governor Cathcon “boring” was intentionally attempting to convince voters to cast their ballots against ZuWo and Cathcon. This vote was counted as valid by the Governor at that time, Tmthforu94.

The plaintiff also argues that simply because the federal SoFE has not been upholding campaign laws does not mean those laws cannot and should not be upheld by the Mideast region.

3. The Government’s Case:
The government cites a litany of past ballots with more egregious examples of campaigning within the voting booth and argues that couting drj101’s vote as invalid would be a considerable deviation from historical precedent. Furthermore, the defense argues that the Court does not have the ability to rule in a way that differs from the current federal understanding of how campaigning in the booth is defined. The defense argues that since past booth administrators have interpreted the law differently than the position of the plaintiff, any deviation from the historical precedent would require a constitutional amendment.

4. How the Court Answers These Questions:
The Court agrees with the defense that the Governor’s decision to count drj101’s vote as valid is in line with the decisions of past booth administrators both on the regional and on the federal level. However, that does not necessarily guarantee the unchallenged decisions of previous administrators are in line with the law.

The Court recognizes the Supremacy of the Federal Government and the authority of the SoFE in conducting federal elections; however, this election was not a federal election and was thus not administered by the SoFE. The Supremacy of the Federal Government does not command that all regional elections be conducted in the same manner as those conducted by the federal government. Regions are able to enact their own elections laws as long as those laws do not conflict with federal law or the federal constitution. In this case, the text of the federal constitution recognizes the additional authority of law.

The Mideast Region has, in her wisdom, chosen to lay out specific guidelines for what does and does not constitute campaigning in a voting booth. Admittedly the law in itself includes some degree of subjectivity.  The definitions of “campaigning” in the law relevant to this case are:

To proceed to apply this standard to drj101’s ballot, the Court must, unfortunately, attempt to discern her intent when casting the ballot. As to the latter definition, drj101 followed up calling ZuWo and Cathcon “boring” with calling them “not bad people”, so the Court cannot reasonably assume she was intending to insult them. The former definition requires that drj101 used the statement to encourage voters to vote for or against ZuWo and Cathcon. The Court accepts the plaintiff’s interpretation that this provision is meant to include encouraging voters to cast their ballots either for or against a candidate rather than simply for, since the two are clearly correlated. However, this also requires that the statement encourages to vote against ZuWo and Cathcon, and the Court cannot agree with the plaintiff’s argument that drj101’s comment actually does this. No statement her directs voters, either overtly or subtextually to vote for or against anyone.

Still, the Court must consider the possibility that drj101 may have engaged in campaigning in the booth that, while not specifically outlined in statute, is still in violation of both or either constitutional prohibition on campaigning in a voting booth. The plaintiff and the Court agree with Merriam Webster’s definition of the verb campaign, “ a connected series of operations designed to bring about a particular result <election campaign>” that campaigning requires intent. The Court cannot believe that drj101, intending on convincing voters not to cast their ballots for ZuWo and Cathcon, wrote in Russian that they are “pretty boring but not bad people”. If she intended to influence voters, she would have clearly written that comment in English so that most voters would actually read it. However, this should not be misconstrued to mean that in the future insults or statements clearly encouraging voters to cast their ballots in a particular way are not engaging in illegal campaigning in the voting booth simply because their write in a language other than English.

Since drj101's vote cannot be found to be in violation of either constitution or the statute, it must be counted. The Court recognizes that this decision is a subjective judgement of drj101's intent and believes that voters should be aware of future booth administrators and courts potentially counts their votes as invalid if they write extraneous marks that are deemed to be campaigning. The Court encourages, but does not have the legal authority to mandate, voters to use their ballots only for writing preferences to avoid such potential challenges in the future.

5. Ruling:
The Court finds that the governor correctly counted drj101’s vote in the original certification, but only because drj101’s vote was cast licit with the relevant sections of the federal and Mideast Constitution and the Mideast Campaigning in the Booth Statute. However, the Court orders the Mideast Governor and any other Mideast voting booth administrator to act in accordance with statute when determining whether or not a vote is valid even if past booth administrators have not done so.

Regarding the Supremacy Clause, the Mideast Superior Court has the authority to rule regional elections that are conducted in violation of federal law.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies