Inks.LWC v. the Mideast Region (Mideast Superior Court) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:49:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Inks.LWC v. the Mideast Region (Mideast Superior Court) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Inks.LWC v. the Mideast Region (Mideast Superior Court)  (Read 3693 times)
Anna Komnene
Siren

« on: May 28, 2013, 03:56:34 PM »
« edited: May 28, 2013, 07:22:02 PM by Siren »

I would like to represent the defendant unless there's any objection to me doing so.

I've been working on my brief, and it's almost ready to be presented as soon as I'm approved.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 09:52:09 PM »

Yes, I suppose.  I basically want to submit an argument for the defense since there isn't anything right now.

If I need to be appointed by Governor ZuWo to do that, then okay, but I'm not sure why you would accept a brief from drj101 but not from me.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 10:11:35 PM »

Thank you for hearing my case Judge TJ.

Brief on Behalf of the Mideast Region

Presented by Siren

May it please the court that I present a brief for defense of the Mideast region in this case:

Arguments:
1. Both the Mideast and Atlasia At-Large elections have a litany of  historical examples of ballots similar to or perhaps even more explicit than drj101's ballot.  Once we go through these examples, I think it will be clear that not only was drj101's ballot innocent by comparison, but that the historical precedent has been that expressing an opinion on the ballot does not count as campaigning in the voting booth.

1a) Take for example, voters in elections that have used write-in preferences to express opinions about particular candidates.  In both Exhibit A and Exhibit B, voters have used write-in preferences to compare candidates to explicitly negative symbols.  In Exhibit A, the voter places a Person and other omitted candidates below “someone who isn't a goddamn pony fycking creeper” in the preference order.  In Exhibit B, the voter places Senator Napoleon below a list of acknowledged historical tyrants, including Adolph Hitler and Joseph Stalin.  Both of these examples suggest that the voter's opinion of a particular candidate is very negative in comparison to the symbols used.

1b) In Exhibit C, a voter changes the wording of a ticket on the ballot to describe Wolfentoad as an “Irritating Twat.”  Out of all of the exhibits, this one is likely the most comparable to drj101's ballot in that it uses language to describe a candidate on the same line as the vote is cast. However, I would submit to the court that the language used in Exhibit C is more negative than the language used in drj101's ballot, which was “pretty boring, but not bad people.” - different than described in the prosecution's brief.

1c) Atlasia has also seen examples of voters expressing positive opinions about candidates on the ballot as well.  Take Exhibit D* where a voter says that he “LOVES THE NAME” of Mr. X and another voter describes Simfan as “His Most Serene Excellency.”  I am not really sure if this is meant to be complimentary or satirical, but it is certainly an expressed opinion.

1d) There are also examples of voters making use of bold faced font, colors, and exclamations to express a strongly held opinion, an opinion that describes emotions more strongly than a simple check in a box.  In Exhibit E, the voter casts a NAY!!! vote against the Mideast Abortion Statute II while the very next voter immediately responds with an AYE! Vote.  In both cases, the voter expresses an opinion about what he or she is voting for by altering the ballot in some way that could then be viewed by subsequent voters.

2. I submit to the court that drj101's expressed opinion on her ballot pales in comparison to the explicitness of opinion expressed by other ballots I have presented, specifically those in Exhibits A and B and is somewhat similar to the examples in Exhibits C and E.  Indeed, it makes one wonder why this case is being brought forward now when examples such as Exhibits A and B with far more explicit opinions took place with no case being brought forward.  Exhibit A also occurred during a Mideast Regional Election in January of 2013.  It seems to me drj101's comment is a simple innocent remark that could be construed as wishy washy or unsure how to describe the candidates as opposed to my examples in Exhibits A, B, and F where the voter is quite clear about how they feel about particular candidates in a very negative way.

3. There is a great similarity between the examples in all of the Exhibits I have presented here to the court.  They were all deemed to be valid votes, either by SoFE homelycooking or Governor Tmthforu94, respectively.  The precedent, therefore, on these matters has been to accept the ballots that express opinions about candidates as valid.  By accepting drj101's ballot as valid, Governor Tmthforu94 was acting based upon long-standing historical precedent set both in the Mideast and Atlasia at-large.

4. Given that both the Constitution of Atlasia and the Constitution of the Mideast both acknowledge a Supremacy Clause, I also submit to the court that a decision to invalidate drj101's ballot would be acting against the current interpretation of federal law, which I do not believe the Regional Superior Court has the power to do.  The Federal Constitution has a similar article against campaigning in the voting booth, but all of the recent examples show that federal election administrators have counted similar ballots as valid.  Because of the Supremacy clause, federal interpretation should prevail.

5. Even if the Mideast Superior Court does have jurisdiction in this case, a decision to deem drj101's ballot invalid could create more questions than it does answers with so many similar cases being considered valid in the past.

6. What is most clear to me through the Exhibits presented is that the current interpretation of campaigning in the voting booth in both Federal Elections and Mideast regional elections is that opinions expressed by voters DO NOT count as campaigning in the voting booth so long as they are written out on the ballot itself in the usual way.  See all of the exhibits for examples of this.  All of the examples in the Exhibits, along with drj101's ballot itself, express opinions on the ballot itself.  All have been deemed valid by election administrators.  Therefore, expressing an opinion on the ballot does not and has not counted as “campaigning in the voting booth” under the current law of Atlasia.  Given the preponderance of examples of votes like the ones in the examples being deemed valid, there was no reason for drj101 to think her ballot would suffer a different fate.

7. The prosecution may argue that election administrators are currently interpreting the law improperly, but there is no evidence to suggest that this is the case.  The law, itself, is vague.  There is no language in the law or the constitution that suggests what it means to “campaign in the voting booth.”  I submit to the court that in order for a stricter interpretation of campaigning in the voting booth to stand, either the Senate of Atlasia or the Mideast Assembly must pass a constitutional amendment that is then ratified by the people in order to clarify what it means to campaign in the voting booth.  If not, ordinary voters may be less likely to be aware of the change in the law's interpretation.  At the current time, there is not enough evidence to invalidate drj101's vote.  A decision to do so would run contrary to how virtually every election has been conducted in recent history.

8. Governor Tmthforu94 and the Mideast region as a whole have acted in accordance with the law as it is written, as well as historical precedent established in numerous federal and regional elections.  drj101's ballot should therefore be allowed to stand as valid.

*In Exhibit D, Spenstar3D's ballot was deemed invalid by SoFE homelycooking for voting during the 1-week post-registration "waiting period."  There was no mention of campaigning in the voting booth.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 10:12:15 PM »

Appendix to Siren's Brief

Exhibit A
Comrade Sibboleth
January Assembly Election:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=167933.msg3595393#msg3595393

Gubernatorial Election:
[ 2 ] Tmthforu94
[ 1 ] drj101

Assembly Election:

[ 1 ] drj10
[ 2 ] Gass3268
[ 3 ] TexasDemocrat
[ 4 ] Clinton1996
[ 5 ] Write-In: someone who isn't a goddamn pony fycking creeper
[ 6 ] Write-In: a nosepeg, a pair of disposable rubber gloves and a shower
[ 7 ] Write-In: Dear God, what did I ever do to deserve this?
[ 8 ] Write-In: I mean, other than that, obviously...
[ 9 ] Write-In: Very well. Point taken...
[ 10 ] a Person

[ 11 ] Write-In: I feel dirty now
[ 12 ] Write-In: so, so, so dirty...

Exhibit B
Senator Snowstalker
February 2013 Federal Elections
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=169415.msg3627060#msg3627060

President:

1. Write-in: Duke/Cincinnatus
2. Marokai/Duke
3. Cathcon/Spamage
4. Write-in: Snowstalker/Redalgo
5. Write-in: GPORTER/Al Widdershins
6. Kalwejt/Wolfentoad

At-Large Senate:

1. Adam Griffin
2. Fezzyfestoon
3. Goldwater
4. Write-in: Snowstalker
5. Write-in: John Engle
6. Write-in: Fidel Castro
7. Write-in: Idi Amin
8. Write-in: Joseph Stalin
9. Write-in: Adolf Hitler
10. Write-in: J.J.
11. Write-in: Justin Bieber
12. Write-in: Nicki Minaj
13. Napoleon

Midwest Senate:

1. Snowstalker
2. Write-in: Marokai
3. Write-in: Redalgo
4. Write-in: JulioMadrid

Exhibit C
Comrade Sibboleth
February 2013 Presidential Election
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=169415.msg3629663#msg3629663

President

1. Write-in: Al Widdershins, Cultural Marxist Party of Atlasia, etc, etc, etc.
2. Write-in: I thought there was some ticket that was actually on the ballot? Oh well. See you all in four months when the paperwork won't be cocked up.
3. Brother Kalwejt and Irritating Twat Wolfentoad
4. Mr Marokai Blue/Duc de Villeviol
5. Mr Phil Eytie Verylongname/Mr tmfabulous
6. Write-in: Bleach
7. Write-in: Rats
8. Write-in: Snitches of the World - unite!
9. Write-in: basically everyone registered to vote in fantasyland
10. Write-in: blank ballot

Senator At Large Special Election With Prawn Crackers And Extra Boiled Rice

1. Mr Adam Griffin
2. Mr Fezzy Festoon
3. Write-in: i r good an do what i be tol'

Senator for the Mideastern Region

1. Gassmanynumbers
2. Mr Ben Constine
3. Write-in: Olanzapine

Exhibit D
Spenstar 3D Dec 2012 Senate:  
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=166385.msg3557042#msg3557042
Senate:

1. Mr. X (LOVE THE NAME)
2. Snowstalker

December 2012 AT-LARGE SENATE BALLOT Ѕenator Αverroës Nix
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=166385.msg3555384#msg3555384
AT-LARGE SENATE BALLOT

[1] FRANZL
[2] SNOWSTALKER
[3] BARNES
[4] SPAMAGE
[5] HAGRID
[6] MR X
[7] HIS MOST SERENE EXCELLENCY SIMFAN

Exhibit E

DC Al Fine Jan 2013 Assembly Election
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=167933.msg3593053#msg3593053

Amendment to the Mideast Abortion Statue II

NAY!!!

Followed up by Senator X
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=167933.msg3593084#msg3593084

Amendment to the Mideast Abortion Statue II

AYE!

Exhibit F

Comrade Sibboleth Dec 2012 Senate Election
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=166385.msg3558232#msg3558232

1. Write-in: Reality Or Nothing
2. Brother Kalwejt
3. Mr X
4. Franzl
5. Barnes
6. Snowstalker
7. Write-in: not voting for the rest of this shower
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 12:39:57 AM »

Quick point of information:  Defense counsel is a woman.  ( Smiley )
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 12:54:38 AM »

Apologies accepted plaintiff.  Smiley
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 05:18:29 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2013, 05:21:29 PM by Siren »

I'd like to take a minute to respond to the plaintiff's brief.

The defense still stands behind the argument in her brief that Governor Tmthforu94 and the Mideast region acted based on longstanding historical precedent in both regional and federal elections.

However, even taking the plaintiff's argument into account and the use of the Mideast Campaigning in Voting Booths Statute that was passed in 2005, there is no evidence to suggest that drj101 "campaigned in the voting booth."

drj101 does not direct voters to a campaigning location, nor does she question the vote of another citizen, eliminating both 2(2) and 2(4) of the statute's definition.

According to 2(1) of the statute, "Any statement that encourages voters to cast a vote for a particular candidate or option, except in the case of a voter casting their vote" counts as campaigning.

According to the plaintiff, "that clause means that other that merely marking an "X" or preferencing a candidate (the only two valid methods of casting a vote) should not be considered to be campaigning."

I respectfully disagree with the plaintiff's logic and see no reason why we should attribute extra meaning to the text that does not exist.  There is nothing in the text to suggest that only two forms of expression count as "not campaigning."  This is a very strict interpretation that could lead to the invalidation of all of the ballots I cited and maybe even more.  If the only valid way to mark a ballot is with an "X" or a numbered preference, this would exclude any means of expression, potentially including colors, bold, italic, or underlined font, or exclamations.  It is the defense counsel's position that Atlasia should be about including as many people as possible to encourage participation rather than discourage it with a slew of invalidated voted based on the strict interpretation of a statute that was passed eight years ago that hasn't been enforced so strictly in recent memory.

Furthermore, section 2(1) of the statute requires that the statement must encourage voters to vote for a particular candidate.  drj101's statement does not advocate for anyone to vote for a particular candidate, she merely expresses a harmless opinion like others have done in the past in a variety of ways.

As far as section 2(3) is concerned "any statement that has the intent of insulting another voter" would count as campaigning.  I guess a thin-skinned individual might take offense to being referred to as "pretty boring," but once again, the plaintiff fails to take drj101's full sentence into account.  She qualifies her statement by saying that the candidates are "not bad people."  This qualification indicates that drj101's feelings about the candidates were not that strong, nor were they very negative.  Considering that the statute requires intent to insult, I do not believe any evidence exists to suggest that drj101 intended to insult the candidates.  If she did so, why would she qualify her words by reassuring that they are not bad people?  "Not bad people" could also be considered the  same as "good people" or "ordinary people."  Perhaps drj101 felt the need to reconcile with the candidates for statements she made during the campaign, but it certainly does not seem like she intended to insult the candidates.  If she had, the English language (and presumably the Russian language as well!) includes a variety of far worse words she could have used.

So, even using the Mideast Campaigning in Voting Booths Statute of 2005 as a reference, drj101 remains innocent of campaigning in the voting booth.

I also object to the plaintiff's poll because it misrepresents drj101's statement.  The poll asks "If a candidate was boring, how would this affect your vote?"  Once again, this fails to take into account the fact that drj101 qualified her statement with the reassuring claim that the candidates are not bad people.  Therefore, the results of the poll are questionable and in my opinion, irrelevant to this case.  How other voters perceive drj101's comment is not at issue.  The issue is did she campaign in the voting booth or did she not and did the Governor act in accordance with the law by counting her vote as valid.  

The evidence shows that she did not campaign in the voting booth, that the Governor acted in accordance with both the law and the precedent for its enforcement, and the ballot should be allowed to stand as valid.

Thank you.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 12:41:58 AM »

The only thing I see in the federal law is in Article V.  "Campaigning may not occur in the place where voting occurs."

My argument all along has been that drj101 did not campaign in the voting booth, and appealing to federal laws doesn't change that.

Just because the federal language on campaigning in the voting booth is vague, doesn't mean it includes the plaintiff's interpretation. 
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 06:38:41 PM »

I don't have anything more to add your honor.  I'm confident in the arguments I already made.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies