Okla. Senator wants to dictate the terms of the relief for his state
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:47:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Okla. Senator wants to dictate the terms of the relief for his state
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Okla. Senator wants to dictate the terms of the relief for his state  (Read 5503 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2013, 07:05:06 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/05/oklahoma-tornado-tom-coburn-91659.html?hp=r7

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Lest we forget that the most recent data has Oklahoma receiving $1.36 for every dollar of federal tax its citizens pay. (http://taxfoundation.org/article/federal-taxes-paid-vs-federal-spending-received-state-1981-2005)

Remind me why Oklahoma or its representatives have any right to dictate the terms of the aid they are asking the rest of the country to give them. Remind me why Tom Coburn, Jim Inhofe or any of the House members who let New Yorkers and New Jerseyans freeze in the dead of winter because they had issues with "pork" in the Sandy relief bill (because no disaster relief bill in history had ever had any pork in it prior to that bill) have any business bringing this up just a couple of days after the tornadoes even happened. It's not Oklahoma's money. They already get plenty of "gifts" from the federal government that they continue to be ungrateful for. That money comes from New Yorkers, Californians, Texas, and other residents of net-payer states.

For Tom Coburn to engage in this zero sum pettiness that pits Americans against each other is as audacious as a homeless person walking into a shelter and demanding that the money it uses to help him be offset by cuts to their operations elsewhere.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 07:30:00 AM »

He's not the governor or a state official though. He's explicitly a part of the decision making body that will allocate the money. I don't see what the issue is here, at least as far as his residency is concerned. Maybe his general philosophy is wrong, but it would seem more petty to me if he abandoned the principle as soon as he was the one who needed the money.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 08:42:17 AM »

He's not the governor or a state official though. He's explicitly a part of the decision making body that will allocate the money. I don't see what the issue is here, at least as far as his residency is concerned. Maybe his general philosophy is wrong, but it would seem more petty to me if he abandoned the principle as soon as he was the one who needed the money.

I'm inclined to agree.  He's looking for a budget off-set.  Nothing wrong with that.  If you find out that you need to replace your car (for example), and it was going to cost $100 more per month than your current auto loan, you might be inclined to look for ways to save $100/month in other areas before taking it out of your savings account.  It's a long-term, financially-practical approach.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 10:16:12 AM »

Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) will seek cuts elsewhere in the budget to offset federal disaster relief funds after a tornado struck Moore, Okla., on Monday, killing dozens.

Give him credit.  Coburn has been very consistent about this.  In past disasters, including the 1995 bombing at the Oklahoma City federal building, Coburn has said that any extra federal spending for disasters should be offset by cuts elsewhere.

Inhofe, on the other hand, voted against the Sandy relief bill, but yesterday he seemed open to supporting a bill to provide extra funding for Oklahoma.  “That was totally different,” is what he told MSNBC last night.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 10:37:37 AM »

Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) will seek cuts elsewhere in the budget to offset federal disaster relief funds after a tornado struck Moore, Okla., on Monday, killing dozens.

Give him credit.  Coburn has been very consistent about this. 

Coburn is good at being consistent about some truly awful ideas, true.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 11:36:03 AM »

But this one isn't awful.  Maybe we can stop bleeding $2 billion a week fighting overseas and we won't need to offset it.  When I have an unexpected expense I have to offset it by not spending on something else.....your probably do as well, b33.  It's not like the government has a nest egg they can tap for a rainy day.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 08:59:34 PM »

Give him credit.  Coburn has been very consistent about this.  In past disasters, including the 1995 bombing at the Oklahoma City federal building, Coburn has said that any extra federal spending for disasters should be offset by cuts elsewhere.

Inhofe, on the other hand, voted against the Sandy relief bill, but yesterday he seemed open to supporting a bill to provide extra funding for Oklahoma.  “That was totally different,” is what he told MSNBC last night.

Agree. The federal government needs to be as little-involved in disaster relief as possible until the resources of the local and state government are exhausted.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 12:23:34 AM »

He voted no on the Hurricane Sandy relief. I guess all he cares about is increasing that $1.36 on the dollar that Oklahoma gets.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 06:03:18 AM »

Agree. The federal government needs to be as little-involved in disaster relief as possible until the resources of the local and state government are exhausted.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan

I think that's the first time I've ever heard that quote. It's so profound.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 08:02:13 AM »

But aren't the local and state governments also governments?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 09:33:50 AM »

He voted no on the Hurricane Sandy relief. I guess all he cares about is increasing that $1.36 on the dollar that Oklahoma gets.

What?   He cares about debt.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 10:04:11 AM »
« Edited: May 23, 2013, 10:06:12 AM by Gravis Marketing »

What?   He cares about debt.

He votes regularly for tax cuts. Like other Republicans, he doesn't prioritize reducing the debt so much as using it as a justification to reduce taxes and some categories of federal spending, plus (like anyone) it pisses him off to see the opposing party spend money on priorities that aren't his.

I'm not saying he can't align dislike for the debt with his other priorities, but if they conflict, we know what wins.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 10:14:59 AM »

He votes regularly for tax cuts. Like other Republicans, he doesn't prioritize reducing the debt so much as using it as a justification to reduce taxes and some categories of federal spending, plus (like anyone) it pisses him off to see the opposing party spend money on priorities that aren't his.

I'm not saying he can't align dislike for the debt with his other priorities, but if they conflict, we know what wins.

This is Tom Coburn. It's not like he's someone who's been promoting increased defense spending or opposing all increases in revenue.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 11:56:43 AM »

This is Tom Coburn. It's not like he's someone who's been promoting increased defense spending or opposing all increases in revenue.

The latter of which clearly contributes to debt every bit as much as spending increases.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 04:06:25 PM »

Sen Coburn has an article on this at CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/23/opinion/coburn-disaster-relief-oklahoma/index.html
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 05:16:55 PM »

I've always hated this quote. What a stupid thing to say.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 11:00:15 AM »

The other Senator is busy blaming those shameless liberals for 'exploiting' this tragedy.
perdedor

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 01:01:57 PM »

But this one isn't awful.  Maybe we can stop bleeding $2 billion a week fighting overseas and we won't need to offset it.  When I have an unexpected expense I have to offset it by not spending on something else.....your probably do as well, b33.  It's not like the government has a nest egg they can tap for a rainy day.

The government is not an individual or a household. They have entirely different obligations and operate through incomparable mechanisms...and thank Christ! I shudder at the thought of a government so heavily founded on economic stupid-think that it must choose between funding the military and keeping the lights on.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 04:42:19 PM »

The other Senator is busy blaming those shameless liberals for 'exploiting' this tragedy.

Came to this thread to post this as well. WTF, Inhofe?!

Quote from: Restricted

The Senator also refused to say President Obama's name. When asked to do the Republican Saturday Address, he said

Link to the original Newsmax article: http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/inhofe-climate-change-oklahoma/2013/05/28/id/506587
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 01:55:58 AM »

Came to this thread to post this as well. WTF, Inhofe?!

The Senator also refused to say President Obama's name. When asked to do the Republican Saturday Address, he said

Link to the original Newsmax article: http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/inhofe-climate-change-oklahoma/2013/05/28/id/506587

No matter how much of an asshole hypocrite Coburn is, he's always the less insane Senator from Oklahoma.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2013, 12:08:45 AM »

Exactly. I fail to see how you can accept aid from a smaller government, but fear getting aid from one with more resources.

But aren't the local and state governments also governments?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2013, 08:59:07 AM »

I shudder at the thought of a government so heavily founded on economic stupid-think that it must choose between funding the military and keeping the lights on.

Not bleeding $2 billion a week on stupid wars is stupid-think?
perdedor

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2013, 03:14:04 AM »

I shudder at the thought of a government so heavily founded on economic stupid-think that it must choose between funding the military and keeping the lights on.

Not bleeding $2 billion a week on stupid wars is stupid-think?

My point wasn't that the wars are/are not an appropriate use of $2 billion a week. The assertion that the federal government is mechanically similar to a household, and must therefore make budget adjustments to compensate for unforeseen expenses (such as disaster relief), is intellectually lazy at best.

Regardless of where they're proposing to adjust for disaster relief, your government is systematically crippled if it is operating on an ideology that mandates that they do so on the grounds of basic household economics.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2013, 02:12:45 PM »

The existence of natural disasters that will need to be responded to isn't really an unforeseen expense. 
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2013, 02:54:13 PM »

I'm inclined to agree.  He's looking for a budget off-set.  Nothing wrong with that.  If you find out that you need to replace your car (for example), and it was going to cost $100 more per month than your current auto loan, you might be inclined to look for ways to save $100/month in other areas before taking it out of your savings account.  It's a long-term, financially-practical approach.

Different situation. An auto loan is a recurring expense. This is a one-time expenditure.

It's more like if some jerk busted out your headlights and you needed to replace them. You suck it up and take the money out of your savings account - that's what it's there for. You don't tell your kids that they have to eat Ramen noodles or make your wife skip a refill on her endometriosis meds so that you can "offset."

And considering Oklahoma really doesn't have much "skin in the game" in terms of the taxes they pay, it would really be more like if the teenage son's headlights got busted out and he started demanding that his parents offset the repair costs by cutting back elsewhere.

Not really.  It's more like living on a street where you know some jerk will bust out your headlights.  Some months he does it more than others.  But it's not like it's completely an unforeseen event.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies