Pope Francis Says Atheists Who Do Good Are Redeemed, Not Just Catholics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:08:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Pope Francis Says Atheists Who Do Good Are Redeemed, Not Just Catholics
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Pope Francis Says Atheists Who Do Good Are Redeemed, Not Just Catholics  (Read 7583 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2013, 04:44:03 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Huffington Post
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 05:02:20 PM »

This guy is interesting. Wonder how much of a reformer he is.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 05:09:22 PM »

Nice.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 05:25:05 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2013, 05:26:39 PM by Californian Tony »

Really beautiful. Pope Francis has kept exceeding already high expectations.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 05:31:46 PM »

Good for Frankie.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 05:47:03 PM »

Sounds like Francis would agree with the quote in my sig.

“Always it is easier to pay homage to prophets than to heed the direction of their vision.”
                Clinton Lee Scott

It definitely sounds like he is saying it is more important to act as Jesus the man did than to revere him as Jesus the king.

In the words of John 14:23-24:
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 01:14:19 AM »

Well, I'm glad Pope Frankie Five Angels is being so nice about it. I suppose he isn't as bad as I thought.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 10:10:43 AM »

Sounds like Francis would agree with the quote in my sig.

“Always it is easier to pay homage to prophets than to heed the direction of their vision.”
                Clinton Lee Scott

It definitely sounds like he is saying it is more important to act as Jesus the man did than to revere him as Jesus the king.

In the words of John 14:23-24:

I like this post very much, Ernest.  One of my few remaining intellectual ("spiritual") loyalties to Catholicism lies in its commitment to the essential importance of works to salvation.  Francis' statement is an admirable expression of that, as is your post.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 11:13:43 AM »

What a sweetheart!  I continue to want to *hughughug* him.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 12:07:35 PM »

From a Catholic theological perspective it makes sense. I've heard it from a few priests but didn't think the Pope would say it.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 12:13:31 PM »

If only our own religious leaders dared to say such a thing.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 12:39:09 PM »

He's the best Pope since John Paul I.

This atheist approves of Francis.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 01:03:36 PM »

FF.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 01:11:35 PM »

Just FF! Long live the Pope and the catholic church!
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 01:26:35 PM »

From a Catholic theological perspective it makes sense. I've heard it from a few priests but didn't think the Pope would say it.

Could you explain this a bit more?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 03:38:21 PM »

You have to wonder what the implications of that are. This almost smacks of Vatican III. There's been a serious rolling back of their rhetoric in the last 50 years.

But as a mature adult I never really understood why belief in impossible things would be a requirement. If a person is naturally benevolent, or how about easily benevolent, doesn't that speak for them more than if they do penances, alms, Hail Marys, and so on just to avoid condemnation??
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 03:40:06 PM »

You have to wonder what the implications of that are. This almost smacks of Vatican III. There's been a serious rolling back of their rhetoric in the last 50 years.

But as a mature adult I never really understood why belief in impossible things would be a requirement. If a person is naturally benevolent, or how about easily benevolent, doesn't that speak for them more than if they do penances, alms, Hail Marys, and so on just to avoid condemnation??
It's been doctrine since Vatican II... they just haven't talked about it much.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2013, 05:01:23 PM »

Not as interesting as the Hitler Youth guy was.   

Also, you do understand that "reformer" means something totally different among the College of Cardinals than it means at the US Election Atlas Forum, right? 
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2013, 06:11:39 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2013, 06:48:19 PM by politicus »

You do understand that "reformer" means something totally different among the College of Cardinals than it means at the US Election Atlas Forum, right?  

Not quite sure what you are getting at here buddy.

Large part of my family is Catholic and I worked at a Jesuit school, so I know my way around the various factions in the Church - especially the reformist ones (which are of course dominant in Denmark).

The Atlas forum and its terminology is not a reference point of mine, dunno why you thought that.

Benedikt was a bore in every possible way. A highly intellectual and intelligent bore, but they are the worst kind. Nothing remotely interesting about him.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2013, 09:51:36 PM »

Large part of my family is Catholic and I worked at a Jesuit school, so I know my way around the various factions in the Church - especially the reformist ones (which are of course dominant in Denmark).

Most of my family was catholic too.  Got an uncle who's a priest.  He even smokes French cigarettes.  I also taught in a private school, albeit a Jewish one and not a Catholic one, but it was heavily attended religious scholars of all stripes.  Not sure that gives me (or you) any inside info on the workings of the vatican.  Certainly it's nothing to brag about.  But what do I know, I haven't been to mass in 20 years, and only then on the occasion of my mother's requiem mass.

Anyway, the point about reform was that many folks read it in the wapo or the NYT or whatever, and they make it something that it's not.  To yankees, "reform" means all sorts of things, everything from female altar boys to married priests.  Don't count on any of that.  "Reform" in such circles usually refers to vatican city bureaucracy.  Not that it isn't needed, and it'd be refreshing if any reforms occur, but don't count on your priest being able to come out of the closet and marry his boyfriend in a highly-publicized marriage ceremony officiated by the new Argentine pope.

And yes, I do think Mr. Ratzinger was something of a character.  Not too many popes can claim to have been Hitler youth, and although many of them can claim to have angered the muslims, not many can claimed to find only "evil and inhuman things" in Muhammed's teachings.  At least he had the decency to offend the Danish editorial community only a few months earlier.  Smiley
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2013, 10:01:42 PM »

Roll Eyes
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 10:28:43 PM »

Is it just me, or are Popes getting more liberal?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2013, 08:40:58 AM »

you didn't find him interesting either?

Dude, he wrote more than 60 books.  I can't say I've read them but I found him interesting.  For example, he was also known as a "reformer."  During the second vatican council he adopted the idea of return to the purity and originality.  Reading the bible and the writing of early theologians.  During his first papal mass, he wanted to be greeted by a newly married couple and their child rather than the entire college of cardinals.  During his papacy he continued as a reformer, merging administrative duties of several agencies and creating a New Evangelization council.  All the while he maintained a hard line against relativism and talked his predecessor into trying to investigate allegations of sexual abuse by priests more thoroughly.  We have had many threads about him on this forum, and the net impression that one gets from reading them is that he is generally an interesting fellow.  He retired!  How many popes emeriti have there been?  That alone is pretty interesting. 

A couple of months ago, whenever it was, there were all these articles and talking head shows about him and his future legacy.  The main thing I took away from it is that he'll always seem boring to most non-scholars, because he was a cantankerous academic--polls among catholics back this up, showing that few view his legacy as "positive" as they view others--but actually he was a strong teacher-priest who sought to bring the church back to its roots.  I think people who study this sort of thing generally find him to have been very influential.  In my opinion, that makes him interesting.

The new guy may be interesting as well, but so far not as interesting as Hitler Youth Pope.  I think the exceedingly broad ecumenical statement which is the subject of this thread will get lots of circulation, but don't over play it.  Lots of popes have tried varying degrees of magnanimity, with varying degrees of success.  Not only popes.  Hardworking priests do that as well, and on a real scale.  They do it every day.  And they don't expect to have newspaper editorials written extolling their virtues.  They do it because they believe that it's the right thing to do.

patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2013, 08:44:17 AM »

Angus, I think the eye roll is on your insistence at calling him Hitler youth- Even though every male born at the age was a Hitler youth. It would be like mentioning that you signed the Selective service in a disparaging context.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2013, 08:55:53 AM »
« Edited: May 26, 2013, 08:59:36 AM by angus »

I'm aware that his father's overt animosity toward the NSDAP resulted in his family's financial ruin.  I'm aware of how such a thing early in life would teach you to go along to get along.  I don't hold it against him.  The Fox News channel made much of the fact that he was a reluctant member and actually refused to attend meetings, and we discussed that here.  Anyway, he was thoroughly vetted, not only by the people who officially do the vetting but by the all-important US Election Atlas Forum, but I'd be lying if I said that the fact that he was a Hitler Youth as well as the Pope isn't interesting.  You'd be lying if you said that as well.  Not many people are going to be able to make such a claim.  That, too, adds to the fascination.  

This is a left-leaning forum, and I understand that feed-the-poor types are always going to be more in vogue here than cantankerous academicians, but I'm just not going to sit idly by while the new guy is called interesting without interjecting that the old guy was at least as interesting.  More so, imho.

Normally, religious matters are beyond my scope, but the Catholic Church is more of a political organization than a religion, so it's fair game.  Their kingmaking ability has no doubt diminished in the past 500 years or so, but they are still major players in world politics.  Don't you agree?

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies