Click here to save Terri Schiavo
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:48:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Click here to save Terri Schiavo
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Click here to save Terri Schiavo  (Read 2624 times)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 22, 2005, 10:49:31 PM »

http://capwiz.com/sicminc/issues/alert/?alertid=7058131&type=CU

E-mail the Leadership of the Florida Assembly to convince them to try their hardest to keep Terri Schiavo alive.  If you live in Florida, click the below link to contact your local rep and consider donating to the Terri Schiavo Foundation with the third link.

http://capwiz.com/sicminc/issues/alert/?alertid=7058256&type=ML

https://secure.cartlight.com/merchant/terri/?afid=alerts

Let's all do our small part to save an innocent women's life.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 11:01:54 PM »

I don't know if they can be succesful, but hopefully so. Damn her money grubbing husband.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 11:08:53 PM »

I don't know if they can be succesful, but hopefully so. Damn her money grubbing husband.

We agree...again? This is not happening.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 11:46:59 PM »

Let her go. No reasonable human wants to be kept in this condition. They family is just punishing her and herself by dragging it out.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 12:04:38 AM »

Let her go. No reasonable human wants to be kept in this condition. They family is just punishing her and herself by dragging it out.

Wow, I would have expected you to take the other side on this. I agree with you.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 12:10:07 AM »

We agree again. Cool
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 12:19:56 AM »

Wow, I would have expected you to take the other side on this. I agree with you.

I would like her to go but the only thing I am concerned about is the method by which they are letting her go. They've let it go on far to long and its made the problem worse. I do NOT believe in euthanization but the idea that she will starve to death, literally, is absolutely horrific as well. This is a terrible problem that the family caused and the courts here today have said their is nothing left to debate. They said they are tired of debating the same thing they have debated for the past 5 years and they will no longer be hearing anything on this case. (According to local news reports)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 04:04:24 AM »

Same here!  We agree on something for once. 
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 07:51:40 AM »

She should be given one week of testing to see what chance there is for her to survive, and if it's under 40%, I'd say pull the plug.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 08:47:11 AM »

Jake, I don't believe I know this case well enough to involve myself to the point of contacting legislators with one position or another.  I have always been highly critical of people, like many Hollywood stars, who take activist positions on issues about which they know nothing, and I wouldn't want to emulate that.

As I understand it, this woman has been in a coma for over a decade.  I believe she is hooked up to a feeding tube, but I don't know whether other artificial means of life support, such as breathing apparatus, are being used.

My general position is that it is OK to withhold artificial means of life support like breathing apparatus, but I am less comfortable with effectively starving a person to death by removing the feeding tube.  Whether a feeding tube is an extraordinary means of life support is a gray area for me.

I think we need to recognize and think about a very big and growing issue here - the ability of the medical profession to prolong life without necessarily adding to the quality of it, and how this ability has outstripped our collective wisdom of whether and when to use it.

I am in favor of withholding extraordinary means of life support from terminally ill patients, in general.  Still, there are always the cases where a person recovers when nobody expected it.  I have personally been involved in denying needed medication to a person in an irreversible coma, in order to hasten death rather than prolong life in that state.  But I see that possibly as different from cutting off a person's food supply.  To me, that crosses a certain line.  But sometimes prolonging life can be the cruelest thing to do to a person.

Some of our medical technology forces us to play God sometimes, at least in term of determining timing of death.  It's something we can't avoid, but generally I am very uncomfortable having the power of life and death in my hands.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 09:58:02 AM »

Jake, I don't believe I know this case well enough to involve myself to the point of contacting legislators with one position or another.  I have always been highly critical of people, like many Hollywood stars, who take activist positions on issues about which they know nothing, and I wouldn't want to emulate that.

As I understand it, this woman has been in a coma for over a decade.  I believe she is hooked up to a feeding tube, but I don't know whether other artificial means of life support, such as breathing apparatus, are being used.

My general position is that it is OK to withhold artificial means of life support like breathing apparatus, but I am less comfortable with effectively starving a person to death by removing the feeding tube.  Whether a feeding tube is an extraordinary means of life support is a gray area for me.

I think we need to recognize and think about a very big and growing issue here - the ability of the medical profession to prolong life without necessarily adding to the quality of it, and how this ability has outstripped our collective wisdom of whether and when to use it.

I am in favor of withholding extraordinary means of life support from terminally ill patients, in general.  Still, there are always the cases where a person recovers when nobody expected it.  I have personally been involved in denying needed medication to a person in an irreversible coma, in order to hasten death rather than prolong life in that state.  But I see that possibly as different from cutting off a person's food supply.  To me, that crosses a certain line.  But sometimes prolonging life can be the cruelest thing to do to a person.

Some of our medical technology forces us to play God sometimes, at least in term of determining timing of death.  It's something we can't avoid, but generally I am very uncomfortable having the power of life and death in my hands.

Dazzleman, she is on no life support other then a feeding tube. She can open her eyes and look around but she can not speak or in anyways function. She is not a true comatose victim. I am stuck on this and I keep flip flopping between letting her go and letting her live. I am certainly glad I am not in this family and have to make the decision.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2005, 12:13:25 PM »

Terri Schiavo suffered brain damage 15 years ago. There is evidence to suggest that she may have been physically attacked by her husband, but no court will put forth an investigation to confirm or deny that. Her husband won a large amount of money in a lawsuit from a doctor that was suppose to go towards her rehabilitation, but instead he has used in on court cases trying to kill her. And despite the fact that they are married, he has had two children with another woman that he plans on marrying once Terri is dead.

I believe she should be kept alive. If she were brain-dead or in a coma then I could see the argument she should be left to die. But she has brain activity. Euthanasia is referred to as "Mercy Killing". Where is the mercy in letting someone starve to death? And even if anyone would not want to be kept alive like that, would you want to be starved to death? And do you honeslty believe her husband has her best interest at hand?

Instead of lethal injection or the gas chamber or electric chair, from now on lets lock death room inmates in a room with no food an let them starve to death as our new execution method.

If an animal attacks a human and needs to be killed, lets let it starve to death instead of just putting it to sleep.

The anti-death penalty and animal rights activists would be all over that instantly. The ACLU, who is supporting the husband's right to starve his wife to death, would be all over the issue if this was used to execute death row inmates.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 12:23:14 PM »

The funny thing, when I read that opening post I thought that was exactly what this thing is about...saving an innocent person on death row.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2005, 12:32:10 PM »

Terri Schiavo suffered brain damage 15 years ago. There is evidence to suggest that she may have been physically attacked by her husband, but no court will put forth an investigation to confirm or deny that.

That's nonsense of course. She had a heartattack.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005, 12:54:54 PM »

http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=42998

Do a little research on the subject. This is just a news article from today. This issue has been all over the news for well over a year.

http://www.terrisfight.org/ has a lot more information as well.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2005, 01:00:50 PM »

Yes, I hear this story about 5 times a day. She suffered cardiac arrest (heartattack) which caused brain damage.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2005, 02:39:35 PM »

Pull the plug. Instead of spending the day slobbering on her pillow, this woman could be enjoying G-d's grace.

Well, no, there's no such thing.  She'll just rot like the rest of us.  But I'm all for letting her die.. can you imagine what it is costing to keep her in that room?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2005, 03:25:26 PM »

Terri Schiavo suffered brain damage 15 years ago. There is evidence to suggest that she may have been physically attacked by her husband, but no court will put forth an investigation to confirm or deny that. Her husband won a large amount of money in a lawsuit from a doctor that was suppose to go towards her rehabilitation, but instead he has used in on court cases trying to kill her. And despite the fact that they are married, he has had two children with another woman that he plans on marrying once Terri is dead.

I believe she should be kept alive. If she were brain-dead or in a coma then I could see the argument she should be left to die. But she has brain activity. Euthanasia is referred to as "Mercy Killing". Where is the mercy in letting someone starve to death? And even if anyone would not want to be kept alive like that, would you want to be starved to death? And do you honeslty believe her husband has her best interest at hand?

Instead of lethal injection or the gas chamber or electric chair, from now on lets lock death room inmates in a room with no food an let them starve to death as our new execution method.

If an animal attacks a human and needs to be killed, lets let it starve to death instead of just putting it to sleep.

The anti-death penalty and animal rights activists would be all over that instantly. The ACLU, who is supporting the husband's right to starve his wife to death, would be all over the issue if this was used to execute death row inmates.

You make some great points, especially about the fact that we wouldn't let death row inmates die this way.  As I said, I am perfectly OK with removing life support, but not starving somebody to death.  And I would be suspicious of the husband's motives.  Why doesn't he just divorce her?  He'd probably lose out on a lot of money; that's probably why.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2005, 06:27:09 PM »

If you're going to let her die, give her the same thing they put people to death with, don't let the woman starve to death. 
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2005, 09:03:20 PM »

I say that the spouse has the right to decide the matter if she can't decide herself. That means let her go.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2005, 09:07:15 PM »

I say that the spouse has the right to decide the matter if she can't decide herself. That means let her go.

Her "spouse" is also living the good life with another women off her settlement money.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2005, 09:37:10 PM »

Her "spouse" is also living the good life with another women off her settlement money.

It happens.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2005, 09:38:18 PM »

It happens.

Yeah, sh**t happens, great reason to starve a woman to death.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2015, 05:15:08 PM »

Seeing as how the Terri Schiavo case may be revived with Jeb Bush running, its interesting to see that the forum was not divided solely on party lines on this issue nor was that the case in Congress or public opinion.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2015, 08:54:29 PM »

The politicing on this was disgraceful, and it needs to be an albatross around Jeb Bush's neck.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies